Gigi's got the yips

My keeper Gigi Buffon has suddenly started throwing in massive clangers in the last 3 big matches I've played, which has costs me 3 goals though luckily only 2 points as I still got through in the CL. He's 33 now but statswise he's still world class and in the top 5 in the world. Is there anything I can do to 'fix' him or is he just too old now? So far I've said I was deeply upset with his form, after which he called a press conference to say he was going to play better (didn't happen), so then I said I was going to rest him and dropped him for a big game and I've yet to see if this had any effect. Does dropping players for a game (left out of the squad) register in the game (FM08)? So does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort him out, needs to be fast as I have big matches coming up and he's my captain...

My keeper sometimes runs out to the ball as if he is going to kick it, but instead he just stands next to it and their player just gets the ball and shoots;

I dunno if the mistakes are like that on your game, if not does he have low morale or unfit?

His morale is generally superb, and he is fully fit as he plays virtually every game. From what I remember his mistakes were more miscontrolling the ball and allowing the striker to take it off him to roll it into an empty net. Once my full back lost the ball about 30 yards out and he got lobbed, that's more positioning I guess. His training is the same as ever too.

It's very worrying, he normally has a bad game once every 30 matches, now he's had 3-4 in the last 7-8 and it's costing me points. Also I played the back up keeper in my last game and he was man of the match so he probably deserves to keep his place.

maybe it's planned as players get older they get more prone to make errors, I had a 34 year-old CM who didn't look bad in stats but everytime I played him he'd get rating like 6.4-6 or made a complete horror show, when in previous seasons he averaged close to 6.8-7.xx with the same instructions

if you drop him for bad form, tell him your not happy with form and dont play him. Telling him your resting him is counterproductive to what you wanted to happen.

You could be right. Usually what happens when I criticise a player's form is they come back and play well for one match, then go back to being rubbish again. All it seems to do is boost their morale, but if they have good morale in the first place then there doesn't seem to be any effect. I think I've told them they were rubbish and not played them in the past and it didn't work. Trouble is I've just looked at my fixtures and I have Arsenal in the CL QF to come. He seems to do ok against the smaller teams and he just got good ratings in two internationals so I'll stick with him for now. Any mistakes in the first leg and he's dropped indefinitely, I just hope it's not permenant.

Casillas has been through a phase like this recently this season IRL.

Assuming his hidden attributes are good - professionalism especially, you should drop him and say you're disappointed with his recent performances.. He'll say you're right and try better, then reinstate him and tell him in the pre-team talk that you expect a better performance. See how that goes.

I may have accidentally found a solution. I intended to play him away to Empoli who are bottom of the league but forgot to put him back into the squad so my back up keeper played again with my 3rd choice on the bench. We scraped a 1-0 win (!), so I put him back in against Arsenal in the first leg and told him before the game in the team talk that I expect better. He went on to play a blinder, got a rating of 8 and MOM despite letting in two late goals. Hopefully that's done it, will report back if not ;)

Archived