Manager Pay.. im lost

Ok guys every fm we get paid a small fortune to manage our clubs in fm...

and every fm we can never spend our "hard-earned" dollars..

so ive decided to create this thread to discuss potential ideas for future versions of fm with what we could possibly do with our pay....

ive got no ideas myself but really would like to discuss any you guys have

Nothing. Let SI concentrate on the managerial aspect of the game rather than adding in bells and whistle.

People whine that they're adding in pointless things just cos they don't work perfectly first time, imagine how they'd react if they did put in pointless things like this!

Nothing. Let SI concentrate on the managerial aspect of the game rather than adding in bells and whistle.

People whine that they're adding in pointless things just cos they don't work perfectly first time, imagine how they'd react if they did put in pointless things like this!

pointless things like what... there are no "things" to put in yet we are trying to just brainstorm and discuss some ideas dont come in here giving your 5 cents worth when its not even worth that.

Eh? Read my post again.

yeh i still wana know what those pointless things added to the game were...

just the umbrella idea of doing something with manager pay that has some scope and could add a new dimension to the game so why shut it up before you give it a chance?

The only reason manager wages are included is because IRL, clubs pay managers a wage, if this wasn't in the game, the finances of clubs would not reflect those of clubs IRL, you shouldn't need anything more than this from a game regarding wages and if you do, the answer is simple: Go buy FIFA Manager

yeh i still wana know what those pointless things added to the game were...

The 3D match engine when 2D was supposedly fine, the effect of media interaction, press conferences with little depth, those are a few examples I've seen people whine about as "pointless".

The only reason manager wages are included is because IRL, clubs pay managers a wage, if this wasn't in the game, the finances of clubs would not reflect those of clubs IRL

More importantly, if you're paid a higher wage with a longer contract, your job is that bit more stable because if you start doing terribly, the club would have to pay big compensation to sack you compared to if you were on a lower wage, making you that little more safer.

There shouldnt be anything you get to spend your salary on, but it should come into play within the game a little more than it does. That could perhaps be said for a lot of FM features but if I were to say that I'd be cruel. Oh I just did.

It'd be nice if the media reported on contract negotiations (e.g. taking too long, dispute over pay, manager wants assurances on budget etc), if they mentioned your contract/pay in relation to other managers (i.e. how do you feel, having won numerous trophies with Real United that you are on significantly less than Bobby Davro at Halifax?). Loads of things it could feed into. Just finding the will and time to implement is the problem.

so ive decided to create this thread to discuss potential ideas for future versions of fm with what we could possibly do with our pay....

The money should be spent on nothing, you want to buy things with you money and create a life outside of managing the club then buy Fifa Manager, the ability to spend the wages would be nothing more than a pointless gimmick.

If you want to spend it go and play Fifa Manager 09, you'll be back in 10 minutes.

I think you mean aren't. Or whatever.

My problem with that pay=reputation is that you suddenly can increase reputation without actually doing much. Say Liverpool approach you after you start as "International Footballer" and have a good season in the Championship/League One or thereabouts. That happens in the game. Your reputation is certainly not high because virtually no-one outside England watches those leagues. But Liverpool want you, so you negotiate a high wage and bang, you have a high rep even before you do anything.

In my FM08 game (I don't know how accurate this is to real life), Juande Ramos was the highest paid manager in the EPL, 100k pounds a week. Nobody else came close. If pay=reputation then Ramos is suddenly more well known than basically any other manager in the game because he is greedy. See the problem?

I agree with the idea that wages and contract negotiations could add something to media interaction, posted in a reply somewhere above. The OP's idea has been brought up thirteen million times in the last year - Nobby, you missed about 12.75 million of them - and has been rejected by SI and the vast, vast majority of the fans.

I think you mean aren't. Or whatever.

My problem with that pay=reputation is that you suddenly can increase reputation without actually doing much. Say Liverpool approach you after you start as "International Footballer" and have a good season in the Championship/League One or thereabouts. That happens in the game. Your reputation is certainly not high because virtually no-one outside England watches those leagues. But Liverpool want you, so you negotiate a high wage and bang, you have a high rep even before you do anything.

In my FM08 game (I don't know how accurate this is to real life), Juande Ramos was the highest paid manager in the EPL, 100k pounds a week. Nobody else came close. If pay=reputation then Ramos is suddenly more well known than basically any other manager in the game because he is greedy. See the problem?

I agree with the idea that wages and contract negotiations could add something to media interaction, posted in a reply somewhere above. The OP's idea has been brought up thirteen million times in the last year - Nobby, you missed about 12.75 million of them - and has been rejected by SI and the vast, vast majority of the fans.

Or whatever.

I can't see Liverpool offer a championship manager the job unless your many years into the game. Anyway that's not got much to do with your original comment.

Like ole matey said, can you name a manager on more than SAF or Jose and with a less desirable reputation?

Ferguson isn't even the highest paid manager in the premiership

Yeah but the fella who earns more than him has won the World Cup and has a high reputation which is kind of the point.

For instance I can't see Martin O'neil earning great amounts as his ''world'' reputation is not as big as a World or European cup winning manager.

Yeah but the fella who earns more than him has won the World Cup and has a high reputation which is kind of the point.

For instance I can't see Martin O'neil earning great amounts as his ''world'' reputation is not as big as a World or European cup winning manager.

Hey you, keep our Martin out of this!

Well, something I would like to see, is ability to buy a club. Be the chairman, deal with hiring a manager and setting financial restrictions, etc.. That being said, I'm not complaining. Though, I always go with the lowest salary possible when I take a job, because, well, it only hurts the club.

In the future, I'd love that. If not...okie dokie.

Well, something I would like to see, is ability to buy a club. Be the chairman, deal with hiring a manager and setting financial restrictions, etc.. That being said, I'm not complaining. Though, I always go with the lowest salary possible when I take a job, because, well, it only hurts the club.

In the future, I'd love that. If not...okie dokie.

You really want a Board Meeting Simulator?

A better example wolud be the England job. When they employed Sven they took into account he won the Italian league and cup, Uefa cup and various things with Benfica ( I think) so his reputation was high hence the large wages , 6Mil a year or so.

When they gave the job to Mclaren they took into account he won the league cup an not alot else so his rep was fairly low, therefore paying him about 2Mil a year.

We sack him and get in a bloke who has won leagues and champions leagues all over the place, high rep, wages back upto 6Mil a year.

Same job but reputaions determine the wage of the manager.

Why would that be true? I bet there are people on higher wages than SAF/Mourinho but they are hardly of greater reputation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/17111-the-10-highest-paid-managers-in-football

The article doesn't reveal its source, but it may be France Football, since they (I think) publish a yearly top 10 list of the highest paid managers.

Looks like it includes contract pay-offs for sackings as well, hence Mourinho's mammoth figure.

Edit: Armchair Athlete beat me to it! *shakes fist*

I see an interview on Sky Sports news at Xmas with Mourinho. In it they showed an argument he had with the Italian journalists. They had a go saying blah blah you earn ten million a year how can you... he interupted them, pointing out he was on something like 13 million rising up to 16 or 17 ( if I remember right) with sponsership deals. Was highly amusing.

You really want a Board Meeting Simulator?

Not so much. But I think the idea could be worth some thought. I had a 50+ year managerial career in FM 2007, and I think it may have been fun to buy a club, try to get it to make money and be successful. Again, I'm not saying that SI should immediately try to implement such a concept. All I'm saying is that I think it would be an appropriate feature should they ever decide they'd like to do that.

Personally, I would enjoy it a well thought out implementation of it.

Archived