a couple of things id like in 09

one of the best management game im played is fifa soccer manager from 97 n pc... one thing i really like was when viewing the in game action you could see the stadium and the fans. i think an updated version of this would be great.

bad form = half empty stadium, no cheering etc.

good form = full stadium, bouncing fans, flags.

also when u did improvements to the stadium you could see scaffolding and areas of the stadium closed off. i really feel this brings a lot to the game. i personally like to start in the lower leagues and build a club up. i would love to see the stadia aspect improve and it would bring more to the matchday experience.

you could implement this idea easily with the current layout for the ingame, just have all the menu's pop out, mac dock style.

maybe an option to see the training complex too...

anyone agree? or further ideas??

one of the best management game im played is fifa soccer manager from 97 n pc... one thing i really like was when viewing the in game action you could see the stadium and the fans. i think an updated version of this would be great.

bad form = half empty stadium, no cheering etc.

good form = full stadium, bouncing fans, flags.

also when u did improvements to the stadium you could see scaffolding and areas of the stadium closed off. i really feel this brings a lot to the game. i personally like to start in the lower leagues and build a club up. i would love to see the stadia aspect improve and it would bring more to the matchday experience.

you could implement this idea easily with the current layout for the ingame, just have all the menu's pop out, mac dock style.

maybe an option to see the training complex too...

anyone agree? or further ideas??

Great idea. I have a coupl of my own though.....

The idea of having some sort of 3-5 question interview before chairmen agree to appoint you as manager would bring some realism feel to it, plus when right clicking on a player to make the runs have a setting to get them to just pass the ball into that area

One of the best tactics screens in management sims - in my opinion - was in Player manager on the Playstation. In this, you could place the players in much smaller individual tiles all accross the pitch, giving more tactical freedom.

You were also able to set runs and passes, so you could tell a player to run to somewhere and then pass to somewhere else. Where he is passing to could be the end of a run of another player.

As this was on a playstation game, it would not be too difficult to implement in FM, and I think it would be a great introduction.

However, I see it as unlikely as SI seem to want to make everything more user friendly so first time users can jump strait in. Does anyone remember the old training screens!

I'm not an evo fan but my mate is and he has commented on being able to place players anywhere on the pitch not just in the specific places that is set by default, I agree with it being user friendly but it can still be user friendly with these added parts cos obviously you still need to MAKE these things happen

AYLWIN - I don't agree with your stadium idea. When teams hit bad form, it rarely detracts fans from the club, and if anything, encourages them to get behind the team. There was a game on a few weeks ago, where a club from up north was relegated, playing a London club, (can't remember the clubs now) - and despite already being relegated, they filled up their away section.

The 2nd idea also isn't for FM. Its one of those things that have been discussed a lot, and is not really a welcomed idea on the forums. If you want to see all those things, there are other games out there for that.

The question you have to ask yourself is, despite all these games you mention looking nice and having nice looking features, were they actually any good?

To me graphics and stuff are secondary for FM, what I want is a realistic match engine, transfer system etc. Without changing from the 2D view I'm not sure how you'd be able to see all these stadium features on a match day, so it certainly wouldn't be very easy to implement.

As for Pro Evo, the way you can position your players may work for that game (although it's a game that gets worse every year imo, and I used to absolutely love it) I doubt it would work quite as well in a management sim. In real life you only have a certain amount of control over where a player positions himself. You can tell the team the formation you want them to play and give the players an idea of where you expect them to run to but attributes such as their positioning and decisions will have a big impact on where they actually position themselves during a game. And this is pretty much how it works at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AYLWIN85:

yeh thats cool, also maybe an option to have more than one run direction, so u could tell ronaldo to cut inside as well as run the wing etc..

a bit like pro evo if your a fan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The arrows aren't direct indication of where a player runs with the ball. Its actually to do with off the ball positioning.

Farrows / Sarrows (Forward arrows, and side arrows) - are where the player will position himself when his team are in possession. So a winger with a Farrow to the Left Forward position, will run there when the team is in possession. There fore, the player can not have 2 arrows, due to the fact he can't run 2 places at once.

Barrows (Back Arrows) - are for defensive positioning. If a player had a barrow from MC to DM, when the team is no longer in possession, he would make this run back, to create a barrier in front of the defense.

theres a lot more information on the Arrows in the tactics and training forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

As for Pro Evo, the way you can position your players may work for that game (although it's a game that gets worse every year imo, and I used to absolutely love it) I doubt it would work quite as well in a management sim. In real life you only have a certain amount of control over where a player positions himself. You can tell the team the formation you want them to play and give the players an idea of where you expect them to run to but attributes such as their positioning and decisions will have a big impact on where they actually position themselves during a game. And this is pretty much how it works at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you telling me that Alex Ferguson nevers says to Ronaldo "Push forward but don't go to far incase we loose posession" The amount of times I have sen Ronaldo play for United he ONLY gets forward when he see's a goal scoring chance or he is in position, other than that he will swap with the left winger and carry on from thre or he sticks to whichever wing he is on to collect the ball if the ball comes across the area. You don't really get much flexibility with your player positioning, using the right side for example RB/WBR/MR/AMR/FR. What if I wanted to play him slightly behind th AMR position but not the MR. I have no choice but to pick 1 of them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AYLWIN85:

yeh thats cool, also maybe an option to have more than one run direction, so u could tell ronaldo to cut inside as well as run the wing etc..

The arrows aren't direct indication of where a player runs with the ball. Its actually to do with off the ball positioning.

Farrows / Sarrows (Forward arrows, and side arrows) - are where the player will position himself when his team are in possession. So a winger with a Farrow to the Left Forward position, will run there when the team is in possession. There fore, the player can not have 2 arrows, due to the fact he can't run 2 places at once.

Barrows (Back Arrows) - are for defensive positioning. If a player had a barrow from MC to DM, when the team is no longer in possession, he would make this run back, to create a barrier in front of the defense.

theres a lot more information on the Arrows in the tactics and training forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not 100% sure of the 2 running arrows like you have said but the ida of telling a player where you would lik the ball to go to would be great. Telling Carrick to play it infront of Scholes while he is on the run (Putting Carrick's passing arrow half way through Scholes' running arrow) so Scholes can pick it up, take a couple of touchs and let fly would makke the game a bit mor realistic cos again I'm sure Ferguson will tell Carrick to play the ball in for Scholes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggleman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

As for Pro Evo, the way you can position your players may work for that game (although it's a game that gets worse every year imo, and I used to absolutely love it) I doubt it would work quite as well in a management sim. In real life you only have a certain amount of control over where a player positions himself. You can tell the team the formation you want them to play and give the players an idea of where you expect them to run to but attributes such as their positioning and decisions will have a big impact on where they actually position themselves during a game. And this is pretty much how it works at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you telling me that Alex Ferguson nevers says to Ronaldo "Push forward but don't go to far incase we loose posession" The amount of times I have sen Ronaldo play for United he ONLY gets forward when he see's a goal scoring chance or he is in position, other than that he will swap with the left winger and carry on from thre or he sticks to whichever wing he is on to collect the ball if the ball comes across the area. You don't really get much flexibility with your player positioning, using the right side for example RB/WBR/MR/AMR/FR. What if I wanted to play him slightly behind th AMR position but not the MR. I have no choice but to pick 1 of them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you belive this has everything to do with the managers instructions then why hasn't every Man Utd winger played like Ronaldo over the last 15-20 years.

This happens because of Ronaldo's mental attributes such as positioning and decisions. The swapping will be a managerial instruction, but you can do this in FM. Ronaldo is not the player he is because Fergison sits down with him and a white board and tells him exactly where he wants him to be on the pitch and at what times.

The manager gives an outline of what he expects the player to do, what happens on the pitch is then down to the player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggleman:

I'm not 100% sure of the 2 running arrows like you have said but the ida of telling a player where you would lik the ball to go to would be great. Telling Carrick to play it infront of Scholes while he is on the run (Putting Carrick's passing arrow half way through Scholes' running arrow) so Scholes can pick it up, take a couple of touchs and let fly would makke the game a bit mor realistic cos again I'm sure Ferguson will tell Carrick to play the ball in for Scholes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really dont think this would make the game more realistic. No manager tells each player exactly who he wants them to pass to, Carrick in particular plays as many passes out to the wings as he would to Scholes in real life.

What would happen is the manager may tell the team to focus the play through a particular player, this can be done in the game using the 'Use Playmaker' option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

theres a lot more information on the Arrows in the tactics and training forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not 100% sure of the 2 running arrows like you have said but the ida of telling a player where you would lik the ball to go to would be great. Telling Carrick to play it infront of Scholes while he is on the run (Putting Carrick's passing arrow half way through Scholes' running arrow) so Scholes can pick it up, take a couple of touchs and let fly would makke the game a bit mor realistic cos again I'm sure Ferguson will tell Carrick to play the ball in for Scholes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can set individual player instructions as to where the player passes the ball, is this what you want?

Well whenever I have managd Man Utd Ronaldo does nothing like he does in real life, so Fergie must be doing something. As for the Carrick to scholes commnt I was only using it as an example as I quite clearly stated in the post, obviously just you few peopl that dis-agree cos everyone else I have mentioned it to has agreed it would be a grat addition (over 40 players) Thought the forums were for discussion of what we would like in th game, not slating peoples idea's?

Well whenever I have managd Man Utd Ronaldo does nothing like he does in real life, so Fergie must be doing something. As for the Carrick to scholes commnt I was only using it as an example as I quite clearly stated in the post, obviously just you few peopl that dis-agree cos everyone else I have mentioned it to has agreed it would be a grat addition (over 40 players) Thought the forums were for discussion of what we would like in th game, not slating peoples idea's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've certainly not been slating your ideas, just offering my own opinion on them. Just because it's a different opinion than yours does not make this any less of a discussion.

Personally I think it would be a big mistake to simplify the game to the point where you can easily get the players to do exactly what you want with simple tactical instructions, regardless of their abilities. Managers like Fergison get the best out of players like Ronaldo because they are world class managers. Unless you're excellent at FM it shouldn't be that simple. All the options are already their to get players to do what your suggesting. But like in real life it takes practice and some work, as well as some study in the Tactics forum, to get that good.

i think being able to give players forward arows and back arows is do-able but only if the arrows are in straight lines. you can easily tell a player run up when we have the ball but run back to when we lose it.

Archived