Players NOT getting called up for their country

Okay i'm still playing FM 2008 i usually do long term games and i am currently in 2028 at Real Madrid after they offered me the job 1 and a half seasons ago while i was at rangers.

As usual i get there check out the players i want to keep and the ones i want to get rid of, There was no problems with the strikers they already had at the club so i kept all of them on

One of them being a Spainish player called Inaki Catalan a 27 year old born in the island of Mallorca in Sóller. He was my first choice striker when i came to the club and he did what all good strikers do SCORE GOALS and in my first full season at the club

he won

2026/27 Spanish Player of the year

2026/27 Spanish First Division Top Goalscorer 33

Was entered in the team of the season

2026/27 European Golden Boot - 33 (66.00)

Entered into the best EVER real madrid XI with a record of 248 - 124 - 7.27

And of course the supports player award

I on the other hand didnt win anything...

Through all that season and netting 41 goals in 51 games in all comps Still no call up?

Second season has kicked off and again he has been the main man in the team banging in goals left right and centre hes current record

28 games 37 goals (call comps)

Also this season he has picked up

2027 World Footballer of the year third place

2027 World player of the year

2026/2027 European Footballer of the year

2026/2027 European Striker of the year

Now the call up for the national teams friendly's have just come in and again the guy hasn't been named?

He has had international call up's in u21 with a record of 9 games and 16 goals

It's all just abit strange? a player surely this good can not be avoided

And hes not playing in a micky mouse league or team

I just find it very strange! Anyone else had anything like this?

I cannot tell you what are the parameters the AI takes under consideration for a national call-up, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.

But I can give you some REAL LIFE examples of players almost everyone thought they deserved a call- up, exept the manager of their national team:

Mario Jardel, incredible target man, could score for fun. Season 2001-02, scored 42 in 30(!!!) games, however he was left out of the 2002 world cup. Brazil lifted the trophy...

Akis Zikos, one of Greece's best DM, four seasons at monaco (more than 100 apps), was left out of Grecce's Euro 2004 squad. Guess who won the competition...

Raul himself, after a pretty productive season (18 in 37), did not receive a call up for Spain in 2008 ( for the European cup). Spain were crowned champions...

Of course there are occasions where the manager's choice proved to be wrong, but the bottom line is that it's up to him to decide. It would be a good addition to the game, however, if could suggest that one of our lads deserves a place in the national squad, and see the reaction of the manager in charge.

I have a similar thing on FM08 with some very strange international call ups. These are the surprise choices I've noticed during my time as Juventus manager, in which last season I won the Serie A and CL double:

1. Matthieu Bodmer has been a leading player from me for the last 3 seasons. Last season he won Serie A overseas player of the year, and has excellent ratings and goal record, and yet couldn't even make the France squad at any stage despite there being various crap players in there. Since 2010 WC he has made the squad, and surprise surprise has been banging them in for fun. No change of manager either.

2. My Spanish CB Raul Albiol was in the Spain squad when I signed him. In his first season he won young defender of the year, and since then from what I remember he has at least been in the running for defender of the year. His average rating last season was over 7.4 and yet he still missed out on the Spanish WC squad!

3. Sebastian Giovinco, who was on loan at Real Betis at the time as he wasn't good enough to play for me, was called into the full Italian squad despite only being a fringe player at Betis with a poor average rating to boot, and made the squad fairly consistently as well.

4. Claudio Marchiso was a star in midfield for me last season, yet didn't even manage to get a call up for a friendly before the WC. He has made the squad since however, and of course is now a regular despite not even getting a look-in 3 months previously.

5. Mauro Camoranesi and Del Piero both made the Italy squad despite being well past it and unfit having not played much for me - a clear case of reputation over ability.

6. Cristiano Ronaldo is always in the Portugal squad but has awful average ratings as Scolari insists on playing one of the best wide players in the world in central midfield.

The current Manager in my game for Spain is Eusebio Favorite club: Barcelona - I have no idea if that will have any effect

There has been no bust ups with catalan or any players or managers . Maybe if Eusebio gets sacked a different manager might call him up?

If this guy goes his whole career without a call up. With such awards as world player of the year and golden boots it will be something thats for sure.

Only time will tell..

Just started my 3rd Season at Real Madrid. in the summer i bought a Spanish striker who was already in the national team since hes come he hasnt been playing half of what he has been for his other clubs YET has no problems getting in the national team

So maybe Eusebio (spanish manager) has some kind of grudge to catalan, maybe cause he is the Real Madrid golden boy and Eusebio bleeds barce?

I'm really want him to get sacked to see if the new man calls him up!

Archived