Signing players who are approaching the end of their contract

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there can help? I'm having trouble when trying to sign players who have less than 6 months to run on their contracts, the problem being I never seem to have the option to offer a contract (Sign on a free), just the option to make an offer to the club, or make an enquiry. Which more often than not results in the club returning with an unrealistic asking price, considering the player will be out of contract very soon.

Usually what happens is I either have to wait until the player concerned is put on a rolling contract by his club until I can offer a contract or the player signs a contract extension with his original club because he presumably thinks I'm not interested in signing him anymore!

If this is just me being daft (which I'm not ruling out!!) I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where I'm going wrong!

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I tried a search for this topic without much luck.

Cheers!

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there can help? I'm having trouble when trying to sign players who have less than 6 months to run on their contracts, the problem being I never seem to have the option to offer a contract (Sign on a free), just the option to make an offer to the club, or make an enquiry. Which more often than not results in the club returning with an unrealistic asking price, considering the player will be out of contract very soon.

Usually what happens is I either have to wait until the player concerned is put on a rolling contract by his club until I can offer a contract or the player signs a contract extension with his original club because he presumably thinks I'm not interested in signing him anymore!

If this is just me being daft (which I'm not ruling out!!) I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where I'm going wrong!

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I tried a search for this topic without much luck.

Cheers!

If it is a domestic transfer in England/Scotland/Wales you can only approach them when their contract has less than 4 weeks to run. International transfers are still 6 months before though.

Cheers for the reply mije1983,

Yes I've been having the trouble when trying to sign domestic players. Thanks for clearing that up, I thought there would probably be a straightforward reason why it was happening but I just couldn't figure it out...maybe I should turn off now and go to bed, give my brain a rest!!

Thanks once again

Hello,

Cheers!

What i do is make an offer to the club to sign the player for free at the end of the season, I usually have good luck with this, It may not work all the time but it definitely works.

What i do is make an offer to the club to sign the player for free at the end of the season, I usually have good luck with this, It may not work all the time but it definitely works.

Thanks for all the help guys and cheers for that tip Grimoz, I will definitely give that a try!

If it is a domestic transfer in England/Scotland/Wales you can only approach them when their contract has less than 4 weeks to run. International transfers are still 6 months before though.

Does this apply to non-EU or non-European countries as well?

Archived