Would watching the Full Match be better?

I was wondering if you get a more realistic match result if you choose the option to watch the whole match in full. Is the Full 90min Match calculated differently from just watching the highlights or is it the same? I've always been intrigued as to how the match engine actually works. Are the highlights just a visual interpretation based on the match stats or is the match calculated on the fly? Perhaps full match users could share their thoughts.

Can't deny though that the stats are different from a match where you only watch highlights to one where you watch the full game.

I'd been working on setting up my corners so watch the stats on how many I get closely. If I watch a full match, I'll get 3 corners at best, just watch highlights and it averages 5 or 6. It's happened too many times to be coincidence. From my experiences I've also noticed there seems to be more fouls in a game if you watch the whole match though I haven't looked at this so closely.

Try it yourself if you don't believe me, I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames about this!

Sorry estoo, but it's the same engine. Just ask yourself this - given that you can go back and watch a full viewed match in highlights mode, and you can go back and watch a highlights viewed match in full match mode - why would SI bother making two match engines and enable both to be viewed in highlights and full match mode. It doesn't make any sense to do this.

Of course its the same match. It's not a different game for highlights and then a different game if you watch the whole match. What a stupid question.
It's actually a very good question from someone who is unsure of how the game works.

Twit.

I've watched a couple of full games, can't say I've noticed any major difference in stats but I will say this. If you thought it was frustrating watching your team make a complete mess of things in the highlights see how you feel after watching the whole 90 mins, mentally stressing comes to mind!!! :)

I've watched a couple of full games, can't say I've noticed any major difference in stats but I will say this. If you thought it was frustrating watching your team make a complete mess of things in the highlights see how you feel after watching the whole 90 mins, mentally stressing comes to mind!!! :)

Hahaha thanks for the info rotku! Your message has just convinced me to never try this! :D

The highlights work in the way real highlights do - they are selected from the events that occur in the full match.

In FM07 I dont think that was true... or if it was then the highlights were bugged. There was one bug where one player I had (Evaldo) always got a red card at the same minute in every match. But only if I watched in highlights mode. After the 5th red card it was time for a reload watching the full match mode from 26' to 28'. Didnt get a red card that way... Tried reloading in highlights and Evaldo managed to get it again :|

If this happens again (but in FM09) I ma create a "moaning thread" :p

In FM07 I dont think that was true... or if it was then the highlights were bugged. There was one bug where one player I had (Evaldo) always got a red card at the same minute in every match. But only if I watched in highlights mode. After the 5th red card it was time for a reload watching the full match mode from 26' to 28'. Didnt get a red card that way... Tried reloading in highlights and Evaldo managed to get it again :|

If this happens again (but in FM09) I ma create a "moaning thread" :p

It's always been true as long as we've had a visual match engine AFAIK.

I never use "highlights" for the matches because how can you tell how well your team and individual players are actually doing that way?

Usually if a player is having problems or if there's a flaw in your tactics, it will be more noticeable across the span of the entire match and may not be shown in the highlights themselves. I always have it set to "extended" with the speed turned up between halfway and full speed and I get a good idea of possible problems on the field and can correct them better.

I have seen this question asked in other threads in the past, but now i can't find it... How does the match engine know something is about to happen, then start a highlight? If it was a real match, you don't know what will turn into highlights. But some part of the match engine will know, otherwise it wouldn't play the 'highlights' obviously. Maybe each match is already set out how it will be played before it starts, then we try to swing it in our favour with our tactics?

The ME is the same weither you play Full, Extended or Key. However the MANAGING is different. After initially struggling in FM08 I switched to Full View and was able to see where the problems were. Key or even Extended does not show you enough to understand why things happen or don't happen. You must watch in Full to really know why your tactic(s) work or don't work. Also the AI changes tactics throughout the match (not necessarily formations, but TACTICS) and Full mode is the only way to make your own adjustments. Tweaking is the real key to succesful tactics.

Strongly suggest playing in Full. It sure does slow down your game, but it is much more satisfying.

It's actually a very good question from someone who is unsure of how the game works.

Twit.

There was no need to call me a twit. And it wasn't a good question at all. It was a very silly question imo. But that's my opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

I will sometimes watch the first 10 minutes or so on Full and if I see something obvious that needs tweaked I'll do it then revert back to extended or key highlights. I'm pretty sure that a full match doesn't last ninety minutes though - instances when the ball goes out of play and is retrieved are skipped (if I remember correctly) - you'd actually be surprised how much time this takes. My guess is that a full match takes about 40-50 minutes to complete.

I wouldn't recommend it as its pretty brutal to watch, however it would be an idea to suggest to all those people who complain about how crap their defenders are - the reason being is you only ever see them in highlights when the opposition has created a chance! Defenders do actually defend properly the majority of the time if you could be bothered sitting through the tedium of a full match.

Archived