Becoming Too Attached

Has anyone become too attached to their club in FM that they find it difficult to manage anyone else and find themselves checking the real life results of this club. I know i managed Rochdale on FM08 and I found myself visiting their website and reading the player bio's along with checking how they were performing, and im a Man Utd fan, how unloyal am I.

years ago when it was CM i would go wolverhampton all the time and i became a big fan IRL and would always look for them after my own team liverpool.

i also developed a following for wigan because of FM when they were still in div 2 i would go wigan and since then i been a fan of the club. i knew somebody who did the football programmes for them before they got promoted to the premiership so sometimes i would get tickets for the directors box i rememeber having a chat with their owner dave whelan about how i was playing as wigan and he wouldnt give me money for transfers...he did apologise for it ...probaly confused at what this little scouser was going on about!

years ago when it was CM i would go wolverhampton all the time and i became a big fan IRL and would always look for them after my own team liverpool.

i also developed a following for wigan because of FM when they were still in div 2 i would go wigan and since then i been a fan of the club. i knew somebody who did the football programmes for them before they got promoted to the premiership so sometimes i would get tickets for the directors box i rememeber having a chat with their owner dave whelan about how i was playing as wigan and he wouldnt give me money for transfers...he did apologise for it ...probaly confused at what this little scouser was going on about!

ha ha ha yeah, he was probably thinking "i'll give you 1k to get the hell away from me".

Has anyone become too attached to their club in FM that they find it difficult to manage anyone else and find themselves checking the real life results of this club. I know i managed Rochdale on FM08 and I found myself visiting their website and reading the player bio's along with checking how they were performing, and im a Man Utd fan, how unloyal am I.

Your last 10 words sum it up!

Im currently playing/attached to Wolves on my save, although it was Stafford i carried a torch for last year lol.

I began my game as AFC Wimbledon who I support anyway. But the problem is I'm so engaged in my save that I keep confusing the in-game fixtures and results with real ones. For example, I was at the home game against Fisher last week and was chatting to a friend about the title race. He asked whether Chelmsford are worth worrying about and I said "nah, are you joking. They're getting relegated and can't score for s**t!" He gave me a disturbing look and I suddenly realised that in real life they were above us by 9 points with a home fixture to come. How dumb do you think I felt!??

i am way too attatched to being Newcastle, so much so that i start another game with someone else and quickly quit it because i can't get into it....this started on FM07 and has continued onto FM09

irl i really dislike Newcastle so it's quite confusing really

I haven't gotten too attached to a team, but I have gotten too attached to players.

i am slightly like that. i would always try and buy the same few players whatever team i managed! not because their good but because i just like them!

it was aaron ramsey last year

now its gerson

I have several favorite teams that I manage, but since CM4 (I think) I have followed the real life progress of Dagenham and Redbridge. I was delighted when they were promoted to League Two and I truly hope that they one day find their way to the Premiership just like I took them there in one of my best saves ever.

Actually I'd love to attend a match at Victoria Road at some point in the future :)

i am slightly like that. i would always try and buy the same few players whatever team i managed! not because their good but because i just like them!

it was aaron ramsey last year

now its gerson

I'm like that. It was Vagner Love on 08 though, what a player. He's brilliant again this year although I hope he plays crap when Villa play CSKA although he might have moved by then :) To us!

and im a Man Utd fan

Funnily enough I'm managing them at the mo and just noticed the Barca job is insecure, but have only been at Utd 2 and a bit seasons, only just built them back up to title challengers after Rijkaard ruined em by selling Rooney and Berba

i did it in FM06 with a 35 season Gateshead game taking them to premiership chamions and ruling europe, ive not only taken notice of them more, ive been to a couple of games, unfortunatly they will alway come a distant second to my first love of sudnerland :)

Definitely do this.

Deportivo saved me from a horrible time in MLS, and I had decent success with them. No trophies, just saved them from relegation and had a good run in the Euros the following season, and CL the year after. Joined them in December and managed to get them all the way to the Euro place. It was very tight, and it looked worse than it was - 10 points between bottom (where they were) and 4th. I didn't even have to buy many players.

Also, I once accepted a challenge from a gamer who "couldn't win no matter what" with Grimsby. I downloaded his game and managed to win enough to keep them up, but it WAS tough. I had a soft spot for them for a while, but it didn't last.

Funnily enough I'm managing them at the mo and just noticed the Barca job is insecure, but have only been at Utd 2 and a bit seasons, only just built them back up to title challengers after Rijkaard ruined em by selling Rooney and Berba

gdgd

i cant manage anyone else apart from the brilliant red devils who are unstoppable :)

In FM2005 I started managing in the Russian and I have been attached to Alania Vladikavkaz and Amkar Perm (now I mostly play with the latter though), and now I'm a fan of the whole league! And then 6 months later CSKA Moscow won the UEFA Cup and I could say "Didn't I tell you?" :D

Should have left Triestina ages ago, but I know some idiot is going to join after me and screw up the entire team, and I wouldn't be able to stand that.

And Alessio Cerci never gives me a reason to sell him even though he's rubbish now. After trying to upset him to leave, it didn't work and I had a bit of a striker injury crisis so he started his first game of the season - and promptly bagged 3 assists. I hate it when players I want to sell never get unhappy and always play well...

Hmmm... I'm sure you don't mean this the way it sounds ;)

I knew SOMEONE would comment on that.

But you're right, I meant it as in playing them when they shouldn't be played, not giving them a free, long after they are no longer useful, etc.

I tend to only really manage the club I support these days so i'm already attached!

But many moons ago I recall checking the results of teams like Southend to see how they were doing after I once took them to the Premiership!

Although I never used to be a football fan. I became a football fan for 2 seasons - Sensible World of Soccer and Championship Manager 1 on the Amiga. After playing those games excessively for so long without ever having watched a football game I thought I was doing things a bit backwards. 10 years on I was a season ticket holder. I hold CM/FM/SWOS responsible for the joy (pain?) of supporting Leeds!

now thats funny :) glad to see the board still has the funny people like before i left although i dont remember the name from my time when i was on these boards every second of spare time i had.

Soon after did lots of big guys with shades turn up in the room?

I am quite attached to Lincoln City now as I managed them in my longest ever FM game. It was on FM07 and I managed Lincoln for over 2,000 games bringing every trophy possible to the club. I still look out for their results and also a smile comes across my face when players who played in my team at any time do well IRL.

Really hope I have another game like this soon.

On 08 i managed braintree for ages and so became attached to them. Even got in contact with the club and got myself a shirt :D

Thats freaky.

Looking at your nickname, I can be confident that like me, you are a Sheffield United fan.

With a similar soft spot for Braintree!

Always play them in SUFC game as a friendly and have managed them into the CCC before on 08 - big achievement for Braintree!

Although they are a bit too close to West Ham for me ... :thdn:

Yep I'm now in love with Farsley Celtic.

According to their website their midfielder is a pipe-fitter and their centre-back is a chemistry lecturer!

And me! I started unemployed and they asked me to become manager, I thought to myself "Just a starting block" but then I fell in love with Farsley Celtic and now I can't leave them. I got them to League 2 and have been stuck in League 2 for a while now, How far are you with them?

Ive supported Leeds all my life and now without the hindrance of -15 points i am doing class in my FM09 season. Promoted from League 1 by play offs. A 2-1 extra time win against Brighton. I am currently 5th in the championship after 38 games. Only 5 points off Hull who are top with 70 and 3 points off west brom in 2nd. Cant wait to get Leeds back to where they belong - the premiership and then europe. Im well and truely addicted. MARCHING ON TOGETHER!

I tend to only really manage the club I support these days so i'm already attached!

But many moons ago I recall checking the results of teams like Southend to see how they were doing after I once took them to the Premiership!

Although I never used to be a football fan. I became a football fan for 2 seasons - Sensible World of Soccer and Championship Manager 1 on the Amiga. After playing those games excessively for so long without ever having watched a football game I thought I was doing things a bit backwards. 10 years on I was a season ticket holder. I hold CM/FM/SWOS responsible for the joy (pain?) of supporting Leeds!

You're right that is a bit weird...why would you play a managerial game if you knew nothing about football? You must've been pants as a manager! Anyway in games where I manage teams other than the club I support I must admit I do start to look out for them IRL. In an earlier CM I definitely developed a soft spot for Leeds in the days of Kewell, Woodgate, Harte etc. and was quite upset to see 'my babies' not fulfill their potential like they had under my management (this has long since passed thankfully). I do check out the results and transfers of the teams I manage IRL, at the moment I'm managing Juventus and if I see the Italian results I'll look to see how they did, and feel smug in the knowledge that I've done a much better job than Ranieri. I've even gone as far as naming my five-a-side team Juventus too...

And me! I started unemployed and they asked me to become manager, I thought to myself "Just a starting block" but then I fell in love with Farsley Celtic and now I can't leave them. I got them to League 2 and have been stuck in League 2 for a while now, How far are you with them?
2014 - currently 2nd in League 2

Archived