Does playing a high defensive line with "play offside" work?

if opposing team has slow lumps upfront then it should work with all defenders but otherwise you should have defenders with great pace/acc, teamwork, anticipation, positioning, concetration etc and even then 1 lap of concetration could cost you a goal, I suggest do push-up only if you need to dominate game ie facing defensive teams or if you are searching for an equaliser/winner

It's my default tactic and works a treat. However, the KEY attributes for my back line (3 DCs) is pace/acceleration and decisions. I also man-mark the oppo striker(s). If the oppo front man/men are faster than my defenders I have to drop deep, and I have to take out the wingers to stop them corssing. They do get caught out now and again, but overall it works well and I concede few whilst putting enough pressure on the oppo in their half.

It depends.

When your wingbacks are running forward often, it usually means that your last defensive line actually consists 2 CDs, so their stats (position, teamwork, space) are more crucial than WB-s stats.

Be careful with opposition strikers off the ball rating, as it helps them to choose right moment to launch for direct pass without getting into offside position. Strikers with low off the ball rating can be fast, but are always caught offside.

Archived