Let Me Get This Straight...

A week or so ago, I thought it would be interesting to try managing Juventus. So I quickly started a new game, chose Juventus, and changed my settings so that the assistant manager would get to take control of friendlies.

Little did I know, Juventus are a parent club towards AC Milan, who are also one of their fiercest rivals.

Add to that, it was at the San Siro.

So after a poor run of friendlies(which, unless I am mistaken, the board shouldn't judge me on), it came time to play AC Milan.

As previously done, I let the Assistant Manager take over. And to my disappointment, we got thumped 3-0.

As you know, the board confidence update comes in at the start(or end, I always forget) of the month. It read something along the lines:

"The board are disappointed at the start you have made as manager.

The fans have no good points to make.

It is bitterly disappointing that you lost to AC Milan."

I decided to check the confidence and thoughts of the fans, following the 3-0 defeat.

The bar was empty, and they were disgusted that I had lost 3-0.

What I don't understand:

a) It was only a friendly...

b) The fans should grow-up, and judge me on the basis of how my proper league campaign goes.

c) Why AC Milan is a feeder club for Juventus in the first place, as well as being (one of) their biggest rivals.

If you ask me, SI should sort things like this out. Pre-season friendlies shouldn't have a big impact on your relationship with the board, and what the fans think of you.

Do I have a point, or am I just being silly... ?

the 2 teams play some sort of friendly each year that I believe is considered by the fans to be more than just a friendly. it is a rivalry game.

The only reason they are affiliates in the game is to get the friendly arranged each year.

there was a thread about this not long ago have a search for it.

its italia dude, what do you expect, count yourself lucky you havent had a hitman hired out on you :)

on a serious note if my team got pumped 3 nil in a friendly by our arch rivals i would be disgusted as well, i mean, juve are expected to do well and every manager is judged to some extent on there friendlies (gordon strachan at celtic) irl and to get pumped by ac milan wont exactly whet their appetites now will it? :)

Strachan is a good manager. I don't like him one bit, but he's a good manager.

He does mediocre in friendlies, but more than makes up for it in the league(poor in any other competition, if you ask me).

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that thinks the fans are jumping to conclusions.

Nobody knows, but I think the assistant manager plays with a random eleven, with everybody on default settings, which will never do good.

Therefore, I wasn't expecting to beat Milan.

At that rate, they would've sacked me rather quickly.

EDIT: I can understand, and appreciate, the fact that it is important to them. But don't you think they're being a little to quick to assume that my campaign will be poor?

And to answer an earlier point, yes, friendlies should have some effect on your opinion of a manager, but like Strachan, surely they should wait to see how I do in the league?

I could lose to AC Milan in the friendly every season, and win 3(perhaps even 4 ¬_¬) in a row, and they would still be unhappy?

Winning the Serie A 3 in a row, is so much more of an achievement than the SPL.

Yes.

The only time I won't let him manage friendlies, is if I have an extremely busy schedule ahead of me, which involves Europe, in some way.

Eg: Man City's pre-season has a fixture every 2-4 days, and the Assman always uses the same people... I stop this, because in between a small break, I have to play a European match, and I don't want them to be too tired.

Having a quick look on the internet it doesn't look that highly regarded although it is an annual event (the Tim Trophy its called). Uusally involves three teams, usually Juve, AC and Inter. But the matches are only 45 minutes each. I watched it on TV once and I don't even think the teams played their first eleven. And it only started in 2001

Even if it were held in high regard by the fans its unlikley the board would have this reaction. Unless you lost 7-0 nil or something it shouldn't really make a mark on your realtionship with the board or the fans. Although the Strachen example is interesting because his first pre-season was so terrible some fans were starting to criticize. As long as they are as easy to win back as they are to lose you should be alright I suppose.

Archived