Pre-season Friendlies

Do you manage your team in the pre-season friendlies  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you manage your team in the pre-season friendlies

I manage. I select the players in order of morale and fitness. Those with the lowest morale and who need fitness are picked first, then higher morale needing fitness, then lowest morale.

I need to control the subs and so on to make sure I get the most out of the match, fitness and morale-wise

Didn't used to until I noticed my assistant manager played youth team players when first teamers in that same position weren't yet fit. Always do it now.

I noticed this as well. There was always a massive scramble for results in the first few games of the new season when I have bought/sold a lot of players or changed tactics. Afterwards I got all my new signings playing immediately with min. 5-6 pre-season friendlies and by the time we started the season we were reasonably coherent and adjusted to my tactics ..

Managing your own pre-season may be boring as hell, but it pays if you've made a lot of changes or are new to the club. :thup:

I let my assman do it. I also let him arrange them.

He arranges them because finding a team willing to accept a friendly who isn't a bulgarian second XI is impossible, and he takes control because he then gets most of my first teamers match fit through rotation, whereas I stick with the good guys or the young guys.

I said no, but really this is only half true.

If I've just joined a new team which I'm unfamiliar with, I'll manage them and try to find a tactic that works and which players can play in what positions.

But if I know the players already then I just find it tiresome, and leave it to the ass man.

Sometimes but other times I go on holiday for the day.

You do know that you can have your assistant manager control the match, which is the same as going on holiday, right?

Anyway, I don't. Unless my team have Euro qualifiers, and it means a very busy schedule. It always me to get most of my players fit, and stop me over playing anybody..

I use pre-season friendlies to "practice" set-pieces and what not.

It's also the only time I watch matches on extended highlights and (very) occasionally, the entire match (or most of it anyway).

But it's all totally pointless, seeing as the game doesn't work ;)

/apathy

I control all of mine, just so i can see who is playing well, get everyone fit and check out my new signings. I also have like a mini tournament with my reserves and under 18's, every player is pretty much guaranteed at least 2 games then and the better ones get moved up into my squad to play the other friendlies!

In the poll, it should also have a "sometimes" option ;)

Ditto, I may manage the first friendly of the season or one against a big team but tbh I can't be bothered with the rest and just try to get to the start of the season asap.

Archived