Pay-back

After *somehow* finishing 2nd with my predicted for relegation Birmingham team, I thought I'd create a thread for those who have been sacked but managed to get one over their former employers.

I was managing Blackpool who are a a good PL team. Anyway, due to alot of unhappy players (thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it) I only managed a 14th place finish and was sacked after the last league game of the season. I was trying to get to the end of the season so I could get rid of the unhappy players and therefore was hoping to see a big improvement in my 2nd season, my trigger happy board had different ideas.

So, just after getting the sack, I saw a challenge in Birmingham who had narrowly avoided relegation by 1 point. Having little hope that the season would bring me anything more than a relegation battle, I managed to start well. So had Blackpool, which quite frankly, annoyed me. We travel up there and win 1-0. I was 5th and they were 2nd. The next meeting, we lost 2-0 despite dominating. Arsenal had run away with the league, so the only thing up for grabs was a CL spot. Oh, and finishing above my previous evil employers. With two game to go we have Arsenal away, automatic defeat and Everton at home who would provide a tough test. Luckily Blackpool have Arsenal as their last game and thanks to a 2-1 victory we managed to pip them to second place. Smugness ensues.

So, as you can see not much point to my thread except to gloat after a job well done.

*tenuous link to make a good thread....*

Anyone else had a similar story in terms of 'getting one over' your pevious employers?

In '08 I was sacked after three years at Leeds. L1 champs second season, top of the Championship third season, and I had the temerity to say I thought the attention from Man City, who'd just sacked Errikson, was flattering (or something like that). I didn't realise ticking this box meant I was saying publicly that I was interested but off I went.

Man City did indeed recruit me and that January I raided Stancu, Piatti, Saivet and Buonotte. Leeds finished outside the playoffs and took another three seasons to go up. By that time I was managing Inter Milan.

Right, I like this thread :)

I was Aston Villa in my at the end of my first season, finishing 11th and only just keeping my job. (this was one of my first games of FM09)

Anyway, a number of my better players had been attracting interest from some other large clubs and I was struggling to keep them. Carlos Cuellar, and James Milner were two such players. Carlos was kept and I managed to get him tied to a longer term contract. Milner, whilst underperforming during the majority of the season, had come good in the final 5-6 games and had scored 4 setting up 7 to send interest in him through the roof. I had an £8M bid from Chelsea (the guy was worth £7M but I know Villa paid £10M and during the game I had paid Newcastle a further £1M for appearances!) which I immediately rejected. Milner threw a strop and vented his fury to the media.....long story short, I managed to get £15M for him and he left with a "parting shot" at me. His comments in his personal profile about me were less than desirable during his spell at Villa Park in any case. He departed for Liverpool and I thought that was the end of it.

I started my second season and quickly met Liverpool. I slated Milner in the pre-match conference and was confident of a Victory against a Liverpool side who had won only 3 of their first 10 due to some SERIOUS injuries! I set my best-Roy-Keane-wannabe midfielder to HARD tackle and had him tightly mark Milner. The first half was a washout...no chances of note and Milner kept quiet. Second half, all hell broke loose. Milner 'dived' for a penalty which Keane duely netted (1-0). The players surrounded the ref but to no avail. I then decided to put me left back on hard tackling and to man mark Milner.....this was the preverbial money shot!

Freddie Bouma hammered into him for the next 6-10minutes, incurring 7 fouls and injuring the money grabbing &^%£$%^.

Milner was stretchered off, and to top it off, Keane was sent off for a "cynical foul" on Bouma!! I still lost though, but I took heart from Milner's injury.....I felt bad about it afterwards as in real life I'd hate that kind of play.

Hey ho!

I thought scything down a player who's left in acrimonious circumstances is a given :)

The amount of players who suddenly wished they hadn't come up against my nutter of a youth team player who's in the starting 11 solely so he can be sent off...

What year are you in? Blackpool a good PL club?

i'm at May 2013 in my game, and Blackpool are in the Championship, with a new (rich) chairman!

cannot recall the Chairmans name, but their strikers are worth £4mill each, which is more than my Wrexham squad is worth! :D

still, have just beaten them to automatic promotion, (Hull stormed the league, Blackpool in the playoffs), so up theirs! :p

will be automatically relegated from the Premiership no doubt, as the squad I have is gawdawful, but i'm at least hoping for a takeover of my own, and some nice Premiership cash to build a Youth Academy! :)

Nice story Wiggz :D

I do try.....the shame of it is I'm a real life Villa fan and would loathe somebody to destroy Milner like that!!! More to the point I'm the first to have a go at players who cause serious injuries recklessly.

However, if I can cut off a dude's head in "Barbarian" (On the ol' C64), turn into a Gold Ring chasing Hedgehog in "Sonic" (Sega Master System), morph into a gun toting assassin in "Hitman" (PC), I can surely attempt to split Milner in half in my FM game :)

Long may this thread continue.

I do try.....the shame of it is I'm a real life Villa fan and would loathe somebody to destroy Milner like that!!! More to the point I'm the first to have a go at players who cause serious injuries recklessly.

The majority of managers are hypocrits so don't worry about it :D

Well my story goes something like this managed Arsenal and won the league in my first season made the club the richest in the world well above Barcelona and finished just about 4th in my second season won the fa cup tho..board were abit unhappy but nothing major decided not to strengthen my squard majorly which was a big mistake anyway came very close to losing my job and i believe this was because every week mourinho, bernd shuster or frank rijkaard would be intrested in Vela, Walcott, Clichy, Sagna, Toure and Adebayor so doing extremly badly in the league i bought Carizzo in the January Transfer window while sitting about 10th and a few games away from the sack no doubt with alot of players lookin to move etc...was doing well in the champions league i got ac milan in the 1st knockout round a chance to get one over on Rikjaard and beat them 2-1 on aggregate with Walcott and Adebayor scoring :), the next round i played Real Madrid i had a funni feeling the computer was out to get me sacked but by this time i had climbed to 7 or 6th not sure but only 6 points of 3rd a reali reali tight league i managed to beat Madrid 4-1 with Adebayor and Walcott again scoring as well as Vela and Fabregas madrid were now intrested in him i made it to the final and low and behold faced Inter and would you believe Mourinho had been trying to sign Vela for years declaring intrest almost every few weeks so i decided i would wave him in mourinhos face and like a goodlad he popped up with the Winner kept all players and finished 4th just about kept my job and my star players couldnt have been happier revenge i reckon for constantly upsetting my team.

and in response to players leaving in acrimonious circumstances Diaby would sign a new contract and wanted a new challenge so i had to sell him to lazio for 18million..he made 1 start and food posioning ruled him out of the world cup for the majority and the icing on the cake 6-8 months with cruiciate damage :):)

Archived