Poor standard of discs (the actual disc, not the game)

Started a game of FM2008 yesterday morning and was doing quite well with my Gillingham team having got them top of League 2, went to play the game again last night and was dismayed that the game wouldn't load, I ejected the disk and to my horror I found that from the middle of the disk spreading outwards to either side there was a massive crack in the disk. This is not the first time this has happened to me and in fact I did have a copy of FM2007 actually shatter in the drive leaving me having to purchase another copy of the game and also having to throw away a DVD writer drive full of miniscule pieces of disk which no matter how hard I tried I could not get all of it out.

I also have a copy of FM2006 where the disk is slightly cracked, luckily I managed to pick up a copy of the game for peanuts at a boot sale, and also the same thing happened to my original copy of CM01/02, again I managed to pick up a copy for peanuts at a boot sale.

So for crying out loud SI who on earth is supplying the disks for the game? Admittedly the game does get played a hell of a lot, and it is stored in a dry and cool area. So is there any hope in hell that if I sent the damaged disk to SEGA they would send me a replacement? I have no plans at the moment to purchase FM2009, if SEGA won't send me a replacement does anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a copy of FM2008. I am literally at my wits end at the moment, and the thought of having to play something else is a little bewildering!

I've never, ever managed to crack a disc in any PC I own. Perhaps you have an issue with your drive, or your computer moves while the drive is in use?

That said - if you contact Customer Services, I think they'll do a warranty replacement on a disk for a small charge to cover postage etc. They used to, at least.

Good luck.

I've never, ever managed to crack a disc in any PC I own. Perhaps you have an issue with your drive, or your computer moves while the drive is in use?

That said - if you contact Customer Services, I think they'll do a warranty replacement on a disk for a small charge to cover postage etc. They used to, at least.

Good luck.

Thanks Matt, will do.

Do you have a contact email or phone number for them by chance?

I think cracking that amount of disks is a real achievement :)

Hope you get it sorted :thup:

It is odd, as it is the only game that it happened with. When I went through a spell of playing Civ4 solidly I never encountered any disk problems. Pretty sure I read a couple of years back about a few people having problems with FM disks shattering in their drives.

Thats just crazy, never had a disc shatter in my DVD-ROM before.

My DVD-ROM just liked to scratch FM/CM discs to pieces. Takes me 3-4 trys of putting the disc in the DVD-ROM before it begins to read the disc because of the scratches.

Thankfully, FM09 does not need DVD to play, after installation & activation.

The only time I've experienced cracks or scratches, is when I knocked my 360 over playing Assassins Creed, which caused enough scratches to stop the game from working, until I went to Game to use their disc cleaning service, which fixed it, luckily.

Just back from town and bought another copy of the game from Gamestation. Pre-owned section saw a copy for £7.99 so picked it up and went to the counter, gave it to the assistant, she hunted around for ages trying to find but couldn't, she went out the back and came back and told me, "We only have a new copy, however as we have displayed this for £7.99 and cannot find it, you can have the new one for £7.99 rather than £12.99.", excellent!

Yes I was very pleased indeed, I just hope this one doesn't shatter.

Incidentally I have done a little research into this, disks shattering in drives, and there are a lot of views on this and the blame is seemingly squared at the media as opposed to the drives, so sorry SI you may want to get a better brand of blank cd's in future!

Strange, in the QA dept despite many disks and many machines this has never happened to us.

As I have said skorp, it's the only game this has ever happened on, I have played Civ4, MTWII, SimCity 4, Pro Evo 2008 on the same drive and all work the drive harder than FM2008 has ever done and none of them has so much as a scratch. I checked the disk and there were no scratches on the disk it was perfect.

After the disk cracked, I played FM06 for a little while and that loaded up fine without any troubles whatsoever. It really has baffled me.

This explanation seems the most logical:

I’ve personally witnessed the bursting cd-rom event twice. This ocurred on my fathers PC 3 times total in 3 different drives. None of the drives survived the events. In one instance the entire cd tray was ejected across the room. I’ve noticed micro cracks at the center of some discs that develop from repeatedly flexing the disc from inserting and removing it from its case. These cracks develop since some are made from a more brittle type of plastic than other discs. I also suspect a malfunctioning drive controller since just before the disc shattered the drive sounded like it was running at 10000 RPM or more. After the 3rd drive was destroyed we replaced the mother board and have had no further incidents.

I'm not disagreeing with you as I have no idea what the difference is between FM discs and other game discs, but you would have thought that a game that sold 1m+ copies would have had a higher amount of similar complaints.

I'm not disagreeing with you as I have no idea what the difference is between FM discs and other game discs, but you would have thought that a game that sold 1m+ copies would have had a higher amount of similar complaints.

Hmmmm...good point made there. Think I may put the new game in a cd sleeve instead.

This may explain why it's never happened to me. My disk is rarely put back in its box and sits either in the disk drive or on top of the tower.

Archived