Midfield ratings need a tweak ?

What does it take for a midfielder to get a good match rating ???

Ok on FM08 the mids were fine, strikers were normally dependent on scoring a goal and defence would struggle at times to hold down a good rating.

Now on this one Defence are solid, strikers same as 08 and if you asked my fans the entireity of my midfield should be taken out back and shot. They cant seem to consistantly get a decent rating and often find themselves around the 6.2 mark.

Now lets take a few things into account.

Im top of the BSN after 20 games. Scored 30 goals conceeded 10.

I play a 4-3-1-2

Flat back 4.

3 centre mids, 1 running back to act as a DMC

1 play maker

2 strikers... strong holder / fast combo

Now when i look at statistics for my midfield they have the following accolades.

2 of the top assists in the league ( one being the top )

and all are in the top of passes completed % infact only one of these top players doesnt play for my team.

What the hell gives ??? The fans give the guys flack. My FM senses tell me to find a new midfield.

But in theory they are doing great. Even on the field i rarely watch a game and think... ARGGH GET HIM OFF THE PITCH even though the ratings are horrid.

Anyone else xp this ?

or able to give me some advice about how i can up their ratings OR is it really dependent on assists / goals.

The match engine frustrates the hell out of me when im cursing my striker for missing easy goals and praising a mid for work horsing then see them leave the pitch with a 6.4 and a 6.0 respectively.

What gives ???

same here.. performing well in the epl, won uefa and champions league, even when i dominate games, my central midfield is getting average ratings..

either they have to score or have an assist to get good ratings.

It seems to be tied up with forward runs. I play a standard 442 with a holding midfielder (mcD) and an attacking one (mcA). The mcA has mixed forward runs, and usually ends up with a rating of 5.8 after the first half. If I then procede to turn off his forward runs immediately, his ratings often go up to 6.8, even if no time has been played in the second half.

Also, if you switch the mcA to one of the wing positions, his rating will increase instantly, even if no time has passed in the game.

I'm eagerly awaiting a patch that will fix this, and to be honest I'm a little suprised this haven't been discovered in the beta testing of the patch.

BTW, has anyone gotten a confirmation from SI that this is an acknowledged issue? Would be nice to know that they know, you know? :p

Found this in another thread and it worked quite well for me.

I find it really effective to play advanced playmakers with:

Mentality: Attacking

Passing: Direct

FWR: Rarely

RWB: Mixed/Often

TTB: Often

Cross: Mixed (IMPORTANT!)

And last but not least: Free role.

This way I find he's placed perfectly in the hole, the free role allowing him to get into the box at the right times, and the mixed crossing allowing him to drift a bit wide but not too much to get rid of those damn defensive midfielders. In my Liverpool game I really enjoy watching Gerrard (have seen it work with less talented players as well) receiving the ball "between enemy lines" and just work his magic. He often gets 10+ key passes a game, and is not a stranger to the scoreboard.

Mine only seem to get over 7 when they score. I have Diego in my midfield averaging 6.4 per game, except when he scores he usually end up with 7.2 or 7.4. He score twice in one game and got 7.8. My striker got two in the same game, with assists from Diego, and he got 8.7(ish).

I've heard it mentioned it's known about. It's mostly just cosmetic, but it'll affect player of the year decisions etc. But look on the bright side: if your best midfielders aren't getting good ratings, it's unlikely big clubs will whore your chairmen into selling.

I'm having problems with my MCs ratings. I use two - a "playmaker", with high mentality and but no FWR, and a "box-to-box" player with the opposite. This combination appears to work well, and my team is performing. The former gets good ratings most of the time (~7 usually), but the latter gets a rating of 5.8-6.4 unless he scores or assists, no matter how well he, and indeed the team, seems to play.

So assuming that the ME is not assigning correct ratings, is this effecting match results?

Not immediately - but a players confidence will likely go down with all the poor ratings, so it could effect his play long term. And the fan/board confidence in your signings.

Yep, definitely noticed this - one of my two central midfielders (invariably the attacking one) gets <6 ratings, unless he scores or assists, even when he has seemingly identical stats to his team-mate.

Edit - I believe match ratings also affect the development of Current Abillity, slightly, (as well as morale, reputation, etc.), so it's quite an important one.

Im going to try this as recently my play maker (4-3-1-2) has been playing terrible, like below 6. And Ive tried Ashavin, Mathias, Alex, Ben Arfa. What do you set the creative freedom too and how much of Mentality attacking do you use and how much of passing direct do you set it too, at full? Thanks

Point made. Im actually finding myself pretty angry at this !!

Williams = DMC

Kral, Rocamora= MC

Hillis ,= AMC

Hillis started as an AMC with Rocamora as a MC but they were switched when Mouter took the pitch at the 68th minute.

Mouter went in as a MC and Rocamora went in as a AMC

Ok the only flaw in Rocamora's game = the yellow card. But seriously Rocamora's pass completion is worth an 8 on its own !!! Coupled with the assist ?!? And the fact he worked the hardest on the team.

We won the game 3-0 so he didnt give away a peno or anything of the sort

Sorry SI, i rarely say it and deal with bugs but in this case

BS !!!!!!!!!!!

12963801av6.jpg

w1106.png

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread a few minutes ago.

Yep, I´m having the same problem as well.

The AMC have always been the star of my teams, ever since Championship Manager 2.

I usually build my teams around them and have extra care to sign the best one I can.

With FM 2009 and latest patch they are almost always rubish. I´m lucky if he gets a rating above 6...

I was really excited about (luckily) signing Walter Centeno, a veteran cultured midfielder to My Rushden and Diamonds side (Coca Cola League 2). The guy has almost all stats in the 11-15 range (which is way above the rest of the other players). I thought he would solve my AMC problem, but alas, his long awaited debut comes and he can´t get better than a 5.2...

Sigh...

Still, I´m glad it´s probably a bug, since so many people mention it. I was loosing my mind fiddling with the tactics trying to solve this issue.

Any chance of knowing if this will be fixed in the next patch?

Nice to know this is getting looked at.

I usually play with a straight 4 man midfield, one MC with more attacking instrucions and one with defensive instructions. They usually get bad ratings, but I have notcied that the more attacking of them actually improves abit with free role set.

i cant believe how things as obvious as this are missed in when testing patches before releasing them, its not like you have to have a certain comination of players with certain slider settings for this to happen.

as mentioned further up the thread, fm08 had defensive midfielder issues, 9.1 had striker issues, 9.2 has attacking midfielder issues, i sure how 9.3 doesnt continue the trend to defenders or goalkeepers!!

Point made. Im actually finding myself pretty angry at this !!

Williams = DMC

Kral, Rocamora= MC

Hillis ,= AMC

Hillis started as an AMC with Rocamora as a MC but they were switched when Mouter took the pitch at the 68th minute.

Mouter went in as a MC and Rocamora went in as a AMC

Ok the only flaw in Rocamora's game = the yellow card. But seriously Rocamora's pass completion is worth an 8 on its own !!! Coupled with the assist ?!? And the fact he worked the hardest on the team.

We won the game 3-0 so he didnt give away a peno or anything of the sort

Sorry SI, i rarely say it and deal with bugs but in this case

BS !!!!!!!!!!!

12963801av6.jpg

w1106.png

They have said it is being looked at, what more do you want at this point in time?

They have said it is being looked at, what more do you want at this point in time?

Did you check the date of my original post ?

5/1 almost a month ago

and the one you quoted was the 6/1

Now, what more do i want ??

*clears throat*

I dont want to have the game playable 6 months after its release.

I want to play the latest FM09

I dont want to pay money for a product and wait until all the bugs are ironed out, ok not all will. But this one which sorry is as blatent as being hit by an elephant is just really really poor consumer loyalty and testing.

Whos play testing this game ? Monkeys ???

The FM / CM title has been utterly crap since CM3 got splashed all over watch dog way back when. That really changed peoples ethos toward the game.

Over the last 10 years we have been sold a game every year that takes 6 months to play so in reality has a life span of 6 months.

RESPECT SI or whoever, dumb people like me are forking out £30 a year to you to play your latest crap.

Seriously, i havent played FM09 since posting and also am loathed to go back to 08 cos it doesnt have the same match engine.

Soloution, next time i see a FM title im not going to sucumb to the new shiny option and ill just stick to this one cos im SICK TO THE BLEEDING HIGH TEETH WITH FORKING OUT FOR A HALF FINISHED PRODUCT

5/1 almost a month ago

*clears throat*

I dont want to pay money for a product and wait until all the bugs are ironed out, ok not all will. But this one which sorry is as blatent as being hit by an elephant is just really really poor consumer loyalty and testing.

The FM / CM title has been utterly crap since CM3 got splashed all over watch dog way back when. That really changed peoples ethos toward the game.

Over the last 10 years we have been sold a game every year that takes 6 months to play so in reality has a life span of 6 months.

RESPECT SI or whoever, dumb people like me are forking out £30 a year to you to play your latest crap.

Seriously, i havent played FM09 since posting and also am loathed to go back to 08 cos it doesnt have the same match engine.

Soloution, next time i see a FM title im not going to sucumb to the new shiny option and ill just stick to this one cos im SICK TO THE BLEEDING HIGH TEETH WITH FORKING OUT FOR A HALF FINISHED PRODUCT

CM3 on Watchdog?

Surely if the FWR's are set to rarely he'll not get in the box at all?

Also, for CM I have crossing set to rarely because I don't want them crossing the ball from out wide and I don't want them to cross from deep as the balls won't be good enough to create a decent chance. In my opinnion....+ it says in the manual that when telling your players to cross you should consider whether you will be compensating for the fact they'll most likely be going wide and out of position.

5/1 almost a month ago

*clears throat*

People will still go out and buy the game though, so there's no insentive for SI to improve anything.

yeah but seriously ?

Every year they realease a half finished product.

Its like going to Burger King, ordering a meal and being told... ok heres your bun, heres your fries heres a cup with ice... just grab a seat.. wait a week and ill bring you your drink... then wait another 2 and ill bring you the burger.

Been searching for references online but cant find them, but CM3 i belive was bought up on BBC watchdog as it was half finished. I remember Anne Robinson giving it a going over.

People will still go out and buy the game though, so there's no insentive for SI to improve anything.

Sad but true, thats why i dispise all the fanboys on here who get angry when people winge about it.

I buy a new version every 2 years, im now not going to buy a new version again.

I bought FM09 in December, so yeh.. it had been out a bit.

Its Febuary

ITS STILL UNPLAYABLE

That screen shot is evidence enough. I havent played the game since around the date i orginallly posted.

thanks, i can read.

Looking into it and giving us a release date are 2 different things.

I tell clients " Im looking into it" daily... thats my way of saying... "Ill do it when my workload lightens" or " Go away, I will apease you buy saying i know you want this done " or " Im looking into the problem and will fix it when im good and ready"

Seriously, 9.21 or something fixing this would and should not take this long to fix.

There is a patch due which will include all January transfers and as many bug fixes as possible, the same as every year.

If you're asking exactly when it is due, expect it mid to late Feb.

Hopefully they'll sort out the problem with hitting the bar, too. I've hit the bar 12 times in the last 5 games and it's really starting to annoy me now. I've been pretty patient with it before, but now it's just beyond a joke. Sort it out, SI!

Hopefully they'll sort out the problem with hitting the bar, too. I've hit the bar 12 times in the last 5 games and it's really starting to annoy me now. I've been pretty patient with it before, but now it's just beyond a joke. Sort it out, SI!

I dunno i just figured i was getting unlucky but there does seem to be quite a bit. Doesnt overly bother me.

Rest assured it will be fixed in the next patch, Aka FM09/10

Archived