Have I Bought To Many Players? **Player Naming Inside**

Hi all, I am in pre season on my second season with Middlesbrough and i think i might have to many players.

My sqaud is...

Ross Turnbull

Craig Gordon*

Justin Hoyte

Anthony Vanden Borre*

Emanuel Pogatetz

David Wheater

Thiago Silva

Didier Digard

Michael Salgado

Sylvinho

Emerson

Thomas Gravesen

Josh Walker

Shnsuke Nakamuru

Barry Robson

Ashley Young*

Stewart Downing

Ivica Olic*

Steven Defour*

Landon Donovan

Rafael Van Der Vaart*

Jermain Defoe

Kenwyne Jones*

Afonso Alves

Ronaldo.

P.S *= Recently Bought.

Any advice or would you say it is the right size.

Hi all, I am in pre season on my second season with Middlesbrough and i think i might have to many players.

My sqaud is...

Ross Turnbull

Craig Gordon*

Justin Hoyte

Anthony Vanden Borre*

Emanuel Pogatetz

David Wheater

Thiago Silva

Didier Digard

Michael Salgado

Sylvinho

Emerson

Thomas Gravesen

Josh Walker

Shnsuke Nakamuru

Barry Robson

Ashley Young*

Stewart Downing

Ivica Olic*

Steven Defour*

Landon Donovan

Rafael Van Der Vaart*

Jermain Defoe

Kenwyne Jones*

Afonso Alves

Ronaldo.

P.S *= Recently Bought.

Any advice or would you say it is the right size.

personally i don't think you have but you may have trouble keeping them happy

on mine i get 11 top players for my first team and about 20 youngsters cause they dont usally mnd not been used much

I think you have done some marvelous business there mate! Gelling doesn't seem to be a huge issue if you start with a Continental reputation I find, it just requires you to actually handle your pre-season and try to get every player fit and playing with every other player.

As long as your tactics dont deviate from established pre-gelled formations (442 etc) you should be ok.

First point - instead of listing your whole squad, you could have just said you bought 7 new players. :D

And yes, there is a high chance that they wont perform to their potential straight away. From experience, any more than 3 - 4 new players and they just dont settle right for a few months. You might get lucky and sneak enough wins cos quite frankly, thats a talented squad but dont expect wonders.

I personally like to have a small squad and then a bigger reserve team. Fringe players do my nut in really, so i either loan players out which arnt my starting 11 or my subs.

I then dip into my reserves if i need a player.

how is ross turnbull on the game? i think hes quality in real life, much better keeper than the crap craig gordon - I expect SI will still massively overrate him (gordon) like they do micah richards

Micah Richards is the best defender in the world if you believe FM. Although saying that I do like him as he's from Brum :)

You bought Barry Robson?! Seriously?!

Why not? One of the only players in the current Celtic squad who shows any heart. He might not be the most technically brilliant but he'll fight till the death and can change a game, he's a great player to have on the bench for when yu'r team's lacking engery and desire.

this may be the skeptic in me but my calculations say that the players you have signed cost alot more than £30 million. i would think that Gordon, Defoe, Young, Defour, Jones and Van Der Vaart cost more than £30 million on their own.

Strangely you and I have signed about 75% of the same players when I managed Middlesbrough...

I would recommend maybe only having 22 players in your quad though - 2 for each position. I had less than 22, because I sought of defenders who could play along the back 4 so instead of having 8 (4 playing, 4 just incase) I had 6, same with players who could play in AM and as a striker.

At the end of the day though, the only way you can say you have too many players is if your wage budget is being torn to shreds and your club is losing money. If you can afford all of those players then you can have them, surely.

Archived