My thoughts on FM09

I have just emerged from a FM09 marathon where I haven't left my house for 5 days, and here are my thoughts.

First, let me give you a background:

I first stumbled upon Championship Manager in the 97/98 version, played every version since until CM 01/02 which I literally played for years (it was that good, a legend as we all know). I re-emerged with FM08, enjoyed it and got hooked all over again.

FM09 pre-patch was bad for me. Since installing 9.02, after first having some doubts, I think it is a good game, with potential for lots more (especially if some of the faults can be attributed to a lack of animations alone):

-As in FM08, I find FM09 easier to play with teams that have low expectations. I started a game with Olympiacos in Greece who are expected to win all the time, and I was first half-way through the season but really struggling to get results.

-I started agaib FM09 with Kavala, expected to get relegated in the Greek B division. I get them promoted by finishing 3rd, and in my first season in the Greek Superleague where I was expected to finish 16th out of 16, I finished 9th comfortably. Am now through my 3rd season with Kavala and some remarks:

-You can play defensive football and aim to minimise the goals conceded, which I did as I found the Match Engine too leaky. Thus, 4-4-2 was scrapped for good and I play a defensive 4-5-1 (One DMC, 2MC, 2ML/R, ST). A lot of the games i win are scrapped through 1-0, with my team maximising their little chances, corners and counter-attacks specifically.

THUS, I find it easy to play counter-attack football from a team who with receiving a lot of pressure than to play with a team who is hands-on favourite to win a game. I find to keep a consistent Championship-winning side is much harder in FM09, perhaps slightly more realistic but needs improvement tactical-wise.

-ANother important aspect of the game for me is your players' ability in the air. Thus, I ONLY sign players who are decent heading/jumping (minimim: 12). Before, I would get the much more skilled Brazilian left-back only to realise lack of height costs dearly, especially in the full-back positions, and even in the wingers position. Short players are almost useless to me.

-Playing a defensive tactic is guaranteed for me, because my players always have to blend in with each other. I bring in good young foreign footballers, they play a seasosn or two, get itchy feet and you have to sell them off. Thus, creating a Man Utd-type of defence with your defenders playing together for years is impossible, unless you'rea top, top level club I find. With players coming in and out, your gel status is never tooo high, and relying on minimising, rather than creating chances, becomes more important for me.

-Teaching ALL your players' preferred moves is important, with the most useful one for me so far being: Shoots with Power. I try and put as many players to have that PPM, persist for them to learn it, and then even your RB or LB 1 or 2 shots a game are threatening. By far the most important PPM for me. Your strikers should have as many as possible as well and if you can get a decent striker who has either foot and has decent speed and jumping/heading must be amazing to have as a lone ST. I haven't been able to find one for my Kavala side though!

-So overall, good job SI! Tactics need to be overhauled next version, training as well, regens and confidence should be slightly touched (SI really do need three times to completely iron out bugs from a 'new' feature), animations and match engine expanded... I am NOT happy with AI, and am NOT happy with a career game.. it still seems very hard to do. What if you want to be a journeyman manager who comes in half-way through the season and saves teams from the drop? I want the manager to adopt/adapt a trait like that, also which countries he purchases players and he concentrates on etc.

-Great improvement on regens. Slightly too much? Also fix Foot bug where every really good player only has one good foot.

Archived