lol, worst...defeat...ever...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClaudeGriffin:

I'm with you. Read my post a few down from yours - FM cheats! No doubt about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does the game cheat?

West Ham got lucky, they had one shot, and it counted whereas Chelsea have numerous chances yet didn't score, were West Ham well organised?

Maybe Chelsea players had a day-off, maybe it's the Chelsea tactics?

But FM does NOT cheat.

I had the same with Fiorentina at Empoli - they had 1 shot, scored it and won 1-0 while we had something like 18 shots. **** happens, I blamed my players rather than try to claim the game has some kind of living component that enables it to cheat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClaudeGriffin:

I'm with you. Read my post a few down from yours - FM cheats! No doubt about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does the game cheat?

West Ham got lucky, they had one shot, and it counted whereas Chelsea have numerous chances yet didn't score, were West Ham well organised?

Maybe Chelsea players had a day-off, maybe it's the Chelsea tactics?

But FM does NOT cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

similar to barnsley with chelsea liverpool this season(or is it last now :S) maybe they had more than 1 shot bu you know .

meh, these things happen.

it was actually a lapse in defence that lead to their goal. every time before and after their balls into the box were cut off but this one particular one fell perfectly for ashton who wasa 1 on 1 at point blank range.

hopefully players will be fired up for next game icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what more can i do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adjust your tempo around the 60 minute mark. Or some other minor tweak at half time.

Shots on target doesn't mean quality shots on target. And before you say "they wuz heading for the corner, I swear", remember the graphics are a [rather poor at times] representation of the match engine, not the match engine itself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FM cheats! No doubt about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. And Elvis is still alive, 9/11 was orchestrated by the Illuminati, and Princess Di was murdered by MI6 on the orders of the Duke of Edinburgh.

I thought this ridiculous thinking had died out. It's a PROGRAMMING CODE and as such has no motivation to "cheat". If FM08 has somehow gained sentience and is eager to beat its human overlords, my hat off to SI who have achieved what the brainiest boffins in the world have failed to do and create a self-aware enitity within microchips and pretty wires.

If you're dominating games but not scoring, your tactics are being countered by an organised AI team, and you need to tweak them a little to break them down. Simple as.

And before anyone mentions 4-2-4, I have conceded only TWICE in the last three seasons to this formation - once by Arsenal and once at Wigan, the latter only because I underestimated them and decided NOT to revert to my "shut up shop" tactic that prevents teams from scoring against in the last ten minutes.

Like happy slappy says, FM doesn't cheat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SFTMH:

do you mean tempo up or down,

because the tempo was riding high the whole game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's high tempo, players are apt to snatch at shots and this means lower quality chances. I played this game just after my last post, like some wierd sign from the god of SI.

(I'm Chelsea)

Half time score:

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chelseanewcastle1sthzb3.jpg

Tactics for first half (I'd had a lot of success with it recently):

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chelseanewcastletactic1ty7.jpg

Tactical change:

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chelseanewcastletactic2nm7.jpg

You'll agree, I'm sure that it's minor. I also subbed Rossi on for Briand and Walcott on for Farfan.

End result:

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chelseanewcastle2ndud2.jpg

It's not a case of cheating, it's a case of playing the game that's in front of you rather than the game you won 3-0 last week.

Basically, if high tempo isn't working, drop it down a notch or two. If you're already a slow tempo stick it up a notch. I also find changing from short passing to direct passing and vice versa also works well in these situations.

If I was a Newcastle fan, this is a heartbreaking result considering they'd kept Chelsea at bay for so long. If I'd not made the minor tweak, I'm sure it would have ended either 0-0 or 0-1 to Newcastle.

So you are using the much stronger side, at home, and having a ridiculously unrealistic amount of chances in the first half regardless, and you made a slight tactical adjustment to win with a goal in stoppage time? Well, I'm a convert!

You don't see any issue with a team having 37 shots in a game?

There is no doubt the sort of thing demonstrated in this thread happens far too frequently in 08, tactics or not. If your tactics are wrong you shouldn't be able to have 20+ chances in a game, let alone in a half!

I tend to play a slow tempo game anyway at Fiorentina so whilst I do sometimes take it down still further I often end up cranking it up towards the end of a game if we are dominating, but about to lose 0-1, just to mix it up a bit. Sure players might snatch at shots more, but since they've spent 70 minutes playing the ball around calmly and supposedly making carefully considered goalscoring chances that they still haven't scored from anything different is worth a try.

Then again, in my case it is mostly just down to the enigma that is Dimitar Berbatov who plays like a donkey half the time icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Basically, if high tempo isn't working, drop it down a notch or two. If you're already a slow tempo stick it up a notch. I also find changing from short passing to direct passing and vice versa also works well in these situations.

If I was a Newcastle fan, this is a heartbreaking result considering they'd kept Chelsea at bay for so long. If I'd not made the minor tweak, I'm sure it would have ended either 0-0 or 0-1 to Newcastle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First you say if the tempo is too fast, drop it down a notch. Then you say if it is too slow, make it fast.

So do I slow it or make it faster?

Contradicting yourself in a sentence. You're worst than John McCain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lyw_85:

First you say if the tempo is too fast, drop it down a notch. Then you say if it is too slow, make it fast.

Contradicting yourself in a sentence. You're worst than John McCain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The key word there is "if". IF it's too fast, slow it down, IF it's too slow, speed it up.

I don't think he knows whether your tactics are too fast or too slow, you're the one that should figure that one out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">First you say if the tempo is too fast, drop it down a notch. Then you say if it is too slow, make it fast.

Contradicting yourself in a sentence. You're worst than John McCain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How am I contradicting myself? Is English not your first language? Apologies if it is not, but I'm saying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> IF [your] high tempo isn't working, drop it down a notch or two. IF YOU are already using a slow tempo stick it up a notch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends what tempo you are already playing.

I'm sorry but there is no magic formula or supertactic that guarantees a win. Personally, I found that to be a major fault with previous versions - that you could find a tactic and play it every week and win 99% of your games. Actually analysing the game you are playing is far more enjoyable IMO.

I was recently 3-0 at half time away to my local rivals off the back of a twelve match unbeaten run, pipe and slippers time. Fast forward 45 mins later and we've somehow contrived to lose 5-3, we had more shots and possession and they only had 6 shots the entire second half! I think that's worse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So you are using the much stronger side, at home, and having a ridiculously unrealistic amount of chances in the first half regardless, and you made a slight tactical adjustment to win with a goal in stoppage time? Well, I'm a convert! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the point of this thread, and a lot of other "the game cheats" conspiracy theorists. They say that despite being the stronger team, despite dominating the game, despite 20-30-40 shots on target, they still lose 1-0. All I have done here is highlight how easy it is to go on and win those games with a bit of thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You don't see any issue with a team having 37 shots in a game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's not 100% realistic. FM will NEVER be as real as the life we lead. If you expect it to be, you'll always be disappointed. It's a GAME.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> There is no doubt the sort of thing demonstrated in this thread happens far too frequently in 08, tactics or not. If your tactics are wrong you shouldn't be able to have 20+ chances in a game, let alone in a half! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, I think you miss the point. So many chances but you still lose. The 8.0.1 patch was tougher to counter but still possible. 8.0.2 it hardly ever happens, which is why I was surprised to see this match happen less than half an hour after posting in this thread.

Your comments about the NUMBER of shots etc is valid in the context of realism of the game, but understand I'm not bragging about winning a game with Chelsea but offering gamers advice on how to get around this issue within the context of the game.

You are contradicting because you say the solution is 1) to play a high tempo, or 2) to play a slow tempo.

So should I play a higher tempo or a slower tempo?

When I'm playing a high tempo why is the solution to play slower, and not even higher?

And yes, english languague is my first language.

Do you even have any idea how does tempo affect the team's playing style in the first place?

Lot's of people think that its the speed of the ball travelling, but that's rubbish.

Its the amount of passes it takes to travel from the defence to attack, that's why passing is linked with tempo(Which SI has already stressed multiple times).

That's why I feel your advice is totally useless , with no evidence or any sense backing it up. And that's why I feel you are contradicting yourself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You are contradicting because you say the solution is 1) to play a high tempo, or 2) to play a slow tempo.

So should I play a higher tempo or a slower tempo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I just deleted a frustrated reply that was threatening to turn impolite. It began "If English is your first language..." but I'll stop there.

Basically, you CHANGE YOUR TEMPO. How many more ways can I say this? Or are you being deliberately beligerant?

If the team you are playing has successfully fended off a quick tempo tactic, then you slow down the play. Take time with passes, be patient, look for more clear cut openings.

However...

If the team you are playing has successfully fended off a slow tempo tactic - perhaps being quicker in the tackle, closing down your players whilst they are looking for that killer pass, etc - then you need to pick up the pace a bit. Snappier passes, quicker attacks. Take the shot instead of looking to pass it into the net.

THAT's how tempo works on this game - at least how it seems to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Its the amount of passes it takes to travel from the defence to attack, that's why passing is linked with tempo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's right, but it's as much about patience. Short passing suits slower tempo better because you need more options, more time on the ball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's why I feel your advice is totally useless , with no evidence or any sense backing it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, aside from my screenshots demonstrating exactly what I'm saying?

If I could be bothered I'd do the same for all my matches of this nature just to prove it, but I can't so I won't. And before you start saying it only works because I'm playing as Chelski, this advice is just as applicable with Leeds, Tottenham, Man City, and Harrogate Town, all of whom I've had success with. (And I've never said it's 100% effective, but it IS close).

So I hope I've explained this bit of advice a little more thoroughly and you now understand that I am not contradicting myself. If you still don't understand that fast/slow advice is not a contradiction, <STRIKE>please give me your snail mail address and I'll do something with crayons</STRIKE> I'll take my leave of this conversation and not let it bother me further.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomistuck:

AHH

That is my worst one, I nearly cried at the end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

.....lol you searched "arse" haha (wow im so mature)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mc-gunner:

its amazing how both people are managing chelski. lets hope they cant score 2 night lol:P come on united </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He-he. And I hate Chelsea in real life. Set myself a challenge and am enjoying it.

I'm a Leeds fan so it's not the best of finals for me. Roll on Sunday!

I noticed one thing in all of these, none of you are really dominating in Possession or even in passing percentage. up by 4-8% in each, yet you have a massive number of shots, this says to me that you are getting the ball to the edge of the box and firing it. not taking your time over any shots or anything.

CLEARLY - ITS YOUR TACTICS

I go with the just switch it up, if I drop a goal and they are closing down everything I just go almost complete opposites and bang pull it back big time.

I don't really need to prove my efficiency of my English.

Not going to say anymore on this subject, since people lose tempers so easily. icon_confused.gif

You change your tempo, I leave mine intact and I also can win, so 1 screenshot doesn't prove anything.

The crayons thing wasn't really mature either, but its ok, I'm just going to close one eye.

Have a nice day. icon_smile.gif

Archived