Tactical Consistency

I don't know about anybody else, but im finding this version a bit frustrating. Altough the game mentions the benefits of tactical consistency (in game tips) and despite the fact that there is an attribute in managers profile for it, im finding it very difficult to roughly stick to one tactic.

I just can't seem to string a set of good results together, every season i usually start with 4-4-2, thrash my first 2 opponents but then after 3/4 games the tactic doesn't work anymore, ill change the tactic to something else, it might work brilliant for one game then in the next game you hardly look like the same team.

I understand that managers IRL will have to change tactics depending on their oppostion (which i always try to do, e.g changing depth of backline depending on speed of opposition forwards), but in general they will always keep a standard formation so that players get used to playing that way.

In my current game, i never have a bad run of games but never have a good run of games either, despite possessing a very strong team. Instead my team just plays like a completely different team every week!!

Im not complaing about the game as such, because maybe i just haven't sussed the tactics properly or im crap with the media and team talks wihout realising, but would just like to hear if other people are experiencing similar problems or if anybody can give me any guidance

A lot of people are saying the game is tactically difficult and that's why there is a massive tactics guide over in the T&TF.

I know about the tactics forum, but i posted here because i wanted to see if i could find out if is this is a common problem or if im just **** at the game

Tactical consistency is a good stat? I have it 3 after 5 and a half seasons, lol

I think what the in game tips mean and what you said is that try to find a basic idea of how you want your team to play and then make minor tweaks and changes to adjust yourself to diffrent situations all bad results aren't to blame for tactical mistakes, maybe a certain invidual in your team just let you down, maybe opposite team was in a good run, maybe you got your teamtalk wrong or your team was just plain unlucky.

i have 20 in tactical consistency.. i dont know if its good or bad..

i play with roughly the same tactics home and away.. whether its a good or bad team i face, i still dont change..i make small, and i mean really small adjustments, during the match.. i cant bothered with making 5 tactics which suits 5 different scenarios..

if i tweak,and its succesfull, then i save the tactic, and perhaps use it as a starting tactic.. but even my newly tweaked tactic, closely resembles the old one.. my personal experience is, that rather then making big changes, small adjustments works best..

I play basically the same tactic, with small modifications for a attacking and defensive version of it, and I am going to the ECC final with Tottenham. You don't NEED to change your tactics often, the problem is that people have a hard time creating one that actually works, and people are too quick to change. I found that in this version you need to stick with your players and your tactics through a little bit of a rough ride in order to have it pay off in the long run.

A lot of people are saying the game is tactically difficult and that's why there is a massive tactics guide over in the T&TF.
I think part of the problem is in the version you have to tweak your tactics alot more.

Tom's correct. In my experience, FM09 (9.2.0) is by far the most difficult tactically I've faced. 9.0.0 and 9.1.0 were both fine, and I mastered the tactics, but the newest patch is just so unreliable. As weeman suggested, a lot more "tweaks" are needed, and for hardcore FM fans, thats fine, they'll take their time and tweak their game, but for the average 1 hr a day gamer, its unrealistic to think they would accept being able to do that. It all boils down to the realistic debate, but in general, I do think FM09 is too difficult tactically.

I play basically the same tactic, with small modifications for a attacking and defensive version of it, and I am going to the ECC final with Tottenham. You don't NEED to change your tactics often, the problem is that people have a hard time creating one that actually works, and people are too quick to change. I found that in this version you need to stick with your players and your tactics through a little bit of a rough ride in order to have it pay off in the long run.

thats interesting, will try doing that

I use the same tactics every single game... It's proven to work, and the players seem to like playing that way. My managerial Tactical consistency is 19. I downloaded a tactic called arsenal narrow - i modified it for use with my Woking team, at first, it didn't work, but I stuck with it, and now it's 'almost perfect'... good luck!

i know what you mean and i have had the same problem, i have spent hours reading, testing different tactics out..

I think i have found a soultion.. some times you think you need to attack to win and other times you think you need to defend to hold out..

some times the roles you need are the complete opposite, One thing i have noticed is the AI will start passing the ball slowly and short at the back then all of a sudden launch a long ball forward which there fast attacker runs onto, i know when i start to see that happen i need to change tactics, that used to kill me even when i was having 60% of the ball..

you have to try and look out side what you think is right and wrong and try new thing's.. try not to be paniced into having instant success.

I find going ultra defensive actually gives my team more attacking possesion and can open the AI up like a hot knife in butter.

I suffer similar problems, to be honest.

I chose Everton, and after a miserable start(a draw, followed by 3 losses), I tweaked it, and finally I was having success. I won 8 of 9 in the next match, beating Chelsea and Arsenal, and only losing one game, away at West Ham.

I thrashed Panathinaikos in Greece, 4-1. Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't score. It was worrying. Steven Fletcher and Yakubu had been on fire, netting over 25 between them in about 16 games(I played a 4-3-2-1). Now, they couldn't score. I had been scoring in every game, and conceeding in nearly every game though. Now, I was drawing 0-0 in every game.

I drew with Liverpool, at Anfield, so I wasn't put off. But another 5 games after this, and I had failed to score or conceede. So I changed my tactics slightly, to take a slightly more attacking approach(played a 4-2-2-2), and got thumped 4-0 off of West Brom. =S

Tactical Consistency isn't something which I pay attention to, to be honest. But one tactic seems successful for a decent spell, and then it useless afterwards. Perhaps it was because Arteta(my playmaker, and best player in the EPL at the time(avg rating of 7.83) was injured, but I had beaten Chelsea and Panathinaikos without him...). Maybe my strikers went on Goal Droughts, but Fletcher, Yakubu, Saha, Vaughan and Anichebe(although I played VA as a winger more than a striker) couldn't come close. Every chance was lobbed over the bar, or went wide...

I have one tactic the only thing that is usually changing in it is the position of one of my central midfielders who moves between a MC and a DMC position. In matches I very rarely make tweaks but if I do it is adjusting my passing game if one way of passing seem very efficient against a team.

I have used the same tactic since game 1 of the first season. Haven't gotten very far since I play rather slowly and don't have much time. Sofar I won promotion first season with Lincoln and is sitting 2nd with less than a handful games left in second season.

Archived