Young Players Development a few thoughts

On FM 2009 I am Arsenal and I have spent most my budget in the 2 years on youngsters who are not close to first team action as yet, I have spent a fair bit of time making sure I have good enough coaches to get the stars up to full on training and set up separate training schedules for def, mid and attackers, but it seems the most important thing for youth development is to have them playing lots of games.

It seems loaning out to clubs with worse training facilities but getting first team football is better than keeping them at Arsenal playing 15 games a season in under 18's or reserve. In the second season to counteract this I arranged about 15 friendlies between my reserves and under 18's and this seems to have helped.

Also I have noticed if the youngsters play in summer tournaments this also helps their progression, surely this is slightly wrong as people are always going on nowadays about players playing too much football and the importance of technique and coaching? yet it seems better for player development to loan a player to say Colchester than keep him in the Arsenal youth setup.

Also a side issue, Pat Rice always says there is a gap between the defence and midfield even if I play to defensive midfielders and high defence what is that all about? And constantly tells me to go in hard on the two strikers and to shift them on too weaker foot even if they are two footed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Archived