Started getting strange error msg ??

Hi guys, I am playing the game on a laptop using Vista home basic. Im only a few games in and everything was fine until today. I created a shortcut to FM from the steam program files,, to save having to use steam to run the game. However when I double click on the shortcut I have started getting this msg,,,

Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of default.xml

when I click OK it closes then re-opens with the same msg,,when I again click ok the window closes and the game loads as normal.

Also when im finished playing and click quit game,, when i come back to the desktop there is a msg telling me that the program encountered a fault and had to close the program ???

Has anyone else seen this ? or have any idea what it is ? Im no too bothered ignoring it for now,,just dont want after playing a season or 2 for it then to stop altogether :confused:

Known issues/FAQs thread:

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Make sure it's pointing at the correct directory if you just copied from the above post - if you installed through steam it's different (see the last part of the post) - best way to do it is to browse to the folder containing fm.exe in windows explorer and check in the address bar (or search for it and get the address)

Other XML Errors

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

sorry guys im not really sure what exactly im supposed to be looking for ??

Right from what I got, you changed the path in the shortcut as per the post a couple above and then the shortcut wouldn't work anymore. From the way you described it it sounded like your shortcut was no longer pointing to fm.exe and my post was to show you how to find the correct link for the shortcut so it would work again :)

Might be easier to try Matts fix first, run it from /program files/sports interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.exe (or /program files/steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2009/fm.exe) and if it works simply right click, create a shortcut rather than trying to fix the old one though!

Other XML Errors

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

i cant see my username how do i see that?

Firstly please dont swear its not constructive and is going to discourage people from helping you

Open C:\users\"your name" then select organise top left and goto folder and search options then select view tab and view hidden files and folders. This should then able you to view the rest of the path.

Instructions for XP

Archived