Team Reports from Coaching Staff

OK, to begin with, I've only been playing this game since Xmas Day, so forgive me if any of these suggestions are already included later on in the game.

First off, I'd like to congratulate SI on the improvement of Team Reports, in that each report can now be viewed with all the different positions that that particular player can play in. However, I do think that this aspect of the game can still be improved further, to give more flexibility and make it more user friendly:

1. If you were at Arsenal with scouts who have 20/20 on Scouting CA/PA, and asked them to provide a scout report, they would come back with an extremely comprehensive report after just researching that particular player. Say that player was from a L1 club, for example. The coaches there are by no means world class, and their coach report can be very bare and limited. However, regardless of the attributes of each coach/scout, surely if a coach is working with a player day in day out, they will be able to provide an in-depth report? One thing I would advise SI to be aware of are new coaches should only have a limited knowledge of each player for a while, and those coaches who work in the youth team should have a better knowledge of the youth players than the first team coaches.

2. In the weaknesses column of a coach/scout report, I often see that a certain player has a particular named weakness as opposed to 'X doesn't have any weaknesses'. However, I think that each strength and weakness on the reports should be relevant to the position they play in. For example, I've seen as a weakness that 'X is an awful set piece taker'. The player in question was a CB. It's not an important attribute for him, so therefore it wouldn't be a weakness. However, if you were to say he was a magnificent set piece taker, under strengths, that would be relevant as you're being alerted to the fact that this CB is out-of-the-ordinary. Thus, the reports would definitely change if you were to look at a report for a CB as opposed to a ST.

3. I think a useful, and fairly cosmetic feature would be to name the training schedule and the players happiness with the schedule under 'Training' I know you can see that on the training section, but it's an important part of the player and would make it more user-friendly. Also, if a player was learning a new position or a new preferred move, this could be mentioned also.

4. Finally, under 'Recommendation'. I often see 'X has the potential to become a ....'. I have no problem with this, because it's very useful, and it should be kept. However, I do believe if you provide this in a coach/scout report, then you should provide underneath it, the current assessment. For example, under 'Recommendation' say:

'X has the potential to become a ....'

'X is currently a ....'

If this should be in the suggestions thread, please let me know and I will move it.

:thup:

I think these are good ideas.

I have noticed that the coach reports from your coaches and scouts, no matter which division you are playing in, are very vague and you do not learn a great deal about the player in question. I have always found that the best way to decide if a player is good enough for your team, you must watch the player in question yourself and decide yourself whether he would fit in your squad.

I can not say too much on your second suggestion as I just agree with you. I would rather know if my striker had little pace than whether he could tackle.

For your third suggestion, I believe training needs a complete revamp as I often just forget about it as it only give very limited training abilities and I do not like the sliders. But I do agree with what you are saying.

Correct me if I am wrong but your final suggestion is already in the game. I am sure it says how far your player is off the best player in the team and also tells you that 'John Doe is currently the nth best player in the team' though I may be completely off.

Correct me if I am wrong but your final suggestion is already in the game. I am sure it says how far your player is off the best player in the team and also tells you that 'John Doe is currently the nth best player in the team' though I may be completely off.

What I mean is that as well as the potential recommendation, also give the current recommendation as to where he fits into the squad at that particular moment.

I'm sure the coach reports were more comprehensive with FM08, they seem to be more vague with FM09. Is this purposeful?

I don't know, as I say I've only just started FM09 and apart from the ability to change positions, I haven't noticed a difference this year.

Archived