Dumping youth players?

Is it possible to get rid of my youth players without paying them a bunch of money? If they are month-to-month contracts, it should be possible, right?

If it's not possible, what's the best thing to do with crappy u18s who have no future potential?

Thanks

You can't really get rid of them - upset them and offer them mutual termination, perhaps? Might be more trouble than its worth, though.

If you don't want those youngsters getting in the way of your more promising ones, consider putting these useless ones in the first-team and never using them.

I'd transfer list them, set their squad status to not needed and offer them out to all other clubs on a free transfer, good chance of getting rid of them with minimal disruption to the rest of the squad. Also iirc you can terminate their contracts with no compensation as long as they are on a month to month youth contract.

I'd transfer list them, set their squad status to not needed and offer them out to all other clubs on a free transfer, good chance of getting rid of them with minimal disruption to the rest of the squad.

Depends on how you are managing, if you are in BSP or lower it can be very hard to get rid of them. But if you are in the Premier league so lower league team can be willing to take some of those youngsters

Also iirc you can terminate their contracts with no compensation as long as they are on a month to month youth contract.

This should be possible, that is why it is a month to month contract, so each month you can cancel it.

What I've taken to doing (and it seems the cheapest option in total) is when a rubbish youth appears at the beginning of the season, I check how much it will cost to release him on a free (usually about 7-8k - pounds). As a youth, they are on approx 55 quid a week in wages - so over a whole year, this is just under 3k wages. If they are 16 already, I try to offer them a senior contract for when they turn 17, but with an end date of the following June. They normally want 90 quid a week for that contract, so now the total cost to the club in wages is between 3k and 4.5k - then just release them totally for free when their proper contract runs out - no fee needed to release them at that point.

Obviously if you are a lower division club, then even the 4k is a hole in your budget for a useless player, but this is the cheapest way for higher clubs - oh yes - and keep trying to sell them for 0 once they have turned 17 - you never know - some sucker might take them off your hands early!

It's annoying if you're a rich club and a financial bummer of you're lower league. You'd think the manager would have a say in which kids to bring up from the academy and which to release - I'd introduce a policy whereby on 'regen day' the kids come in and you have a week or two to assess them before giving them youth contracts or releasing them on frees.

What I've taken to doing (and it seems the cheapest option in total) is when a rubbish youth appears at the beginning of the season, I check how much it will cost to release him on a free (usually about 7-8k - pounds). As a youth, they are on approx 55 quid a week in wages - so over a whole year, this is just under 3k wages. If they are 16 already, I try to offer them a senior contract for when they turn 17, but with an end date of the following June. They normally want 90 quid a week for that contract, so now the total cost to the club in wages is between 3k and 4.5k - then just release them totally for free when their proper contract runs out - no fee needed to release them at that point.

I thought youth contracts were funded externally (hence wage budget including a certain amount for them) so players on youth contracts are essentially free to pay?

Archived