Early Impressions!!

Hey. I got FM 2009 for Xmas.

I'm only 15 games in to my first season as Bradford in Coca Cola League 2 but thought I'd post my first few impressions of the game.

3D Engine - When I watched my first game I wasn't impressed. Crap (80's style) graphics, no crowd in the stadiums wtf?? lol (isn't releasing a pro footy manager "sim" without any crowds in the stadium a **** take?)

The players are too small to make them easily identifiable although I understand this in part as the scale needs to be kept relatively small so you can see more of the action on the field. Catch 22 I guess. Not a major gripe but it would really improve the game if you could recognise a few players from the colour of their skin (not always easy to do), or hair colour, height etc. Yep, I know the players names are supposed to come up above them but they don't always, especially when the ball's in the air. (One thing that could be worked on in future patches).

Bad first impressions aside, it was when I switched camera angle to "behind corner" that the 3d engine really came alive for me. One of the biggest problems, for me personally, with the default was you can't see enough of the action to make a valid judgement on how your tactics are being implemented by the players.

With the new camera setup it works beautifully. I suddenly went from being not impressed to immersed in the game.

Ok, the graphics are shocking from a technical point of view but the way the game flows and the players, "play" the game is spot on. The programmers who do the ball physics routines for you guys are amazing, I hope they get paid alot.

I've seen a few people slag off the pull down menu setup when watching the games. I actually really like it. I will admitt that when watching on the default view though the menus would get in the way of the action but if you switch camera view to "behind corner" there's space to have 2-4 pull down menus easily without obstructing your view of the match when using them.

I like the way you can customize it. Top stuff.

The players in the 3d engine could have some slightly more fluid animations etc. I'm sure this will be worked on for future patches, releases anyway so not a major gripe, and I will cut SI some slack as they had alot to work on implementing it.

I do really object to the lack of crowds in matches though. I hate to say it, (no I don't actually) but it smells of SI releasing, yet another, unfinished game to reap in the money, probably with no intention of fixing it until next years release of the game.

I think that kind of thing is really poor form. To all the loyal fans of the game who buy pretty much every iteration, they deserve more than to be treated like a cash cow.

Yeah I know with programming there's alot of time constraints and deadlines to meet but SI chooses to release new (often unfinished) versions, each year.

Anyway, major annoyonce aside. The actual tactics, so far (I'm only 15 games in) seem to be improved on older versions. The way the teams play seems more realistic from what I've picked up on so far. I need more time to study it but I'm really happy with the match engine so far.

The other thing I love about the game is the interface. Imo, it's far superior to any other version that's gone before.

Whoever designed it did a great job. It's so easy to navigate. All important menus are gathered together on the same part of the screen, saving time and making the interface feel friendly. Pull down menus made less clutterered.

I love it. The best interface ever in a FM game.

Press conferences - To me, I don't like them and see them as a waste of time but horses for courses, I imagine some people like them.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. I love it.

The 3D match engine in my eyes is a huge success although can be improved alot, especially graphically and with more detailed animations. I'm sure SI are already working on that anyway.

The crowd thing really bugs me. I paid for a professional game. Make it look like one "before" you release it in future SI. Does anyone know if a future patch is planned to sort this issue or do we have to buy a future version of the game to get it?

The interface and transfer system are vastly improved. Makes the game a joy to play.

Overall I really love the game. Best version so far imo and I've played nearly every version of FM\CM although admittedly I need to play more to be sure.

I just wish SI would release more "finished" versions of their games in future rather than milk their customers but they've done a great job on what they have implemented with 2009.

Great game.

That has to be the poorest way to structure an evaluative piece of work i have ever seen. It is intro, then disadvantages, then advantages, and then conclussion. You just mixed it all up there. It had some good point though which is why i read most of it. I do think the japanese maestros that created the 3D graphics are very clever, and will also get a lot of money for all their 3 years of work.

I turned the stadiums off on my 3d view, As you said no crowd takes away the all point of having them, And there some really tacky looking stands. Id rather just see grass around the pitch and just imagine the stadium like i did with 2D classic than look at unrealistic empty stands.

Archived