under rated players

Yeah, you're right. I'm bored. So I started this thread. Have fun reading. Hope it doesn't offend anyone in the process & you guys can add on if you want.

----------------------------------------------------------

Chris Kirkland

One of the many English goalkeepers in the Premier League. His chances of playing for England has already been killed by the up-coming youngsters like Ben Foster, Scott Carson & Joe Hart. Such a shame. Kirkland is one of the finest English goalkeepers in the EPL. The only thing letting his performance drop is Wigan's weak defence.

Yes, he occasionally have that lapse of concentration during the course of the game & there are times where it seem that there are communication problems between him & his defenders.. But which goalkeeper has not experienced that? Even keepers like Cech, Van Der Sar has gone through that phase. Even goalkeeping legends go through that.

England has quite a number of players for the No. 1 shirt. James, Robinson, Green, Foster, Carson, Hart, Kirkland even Lewis. Many are tipping Foster to take that No. 1 shirt after James retires. But I think that Kirkland should be given a chance. Among all of the goalkeepers mentioned, Kirkland is one of the experienced one due to his age. But one thing is yet to be confirmed.. Can Kirkland succeed at International level? I'm sure he can.

Wes Brown

There was once an online poll on who should be the first choice right-back. It was either the experienced Gary Neville or the strong as an ox Micah Richards. Sadly, Wes Brown was not included in the poll. Brown possesses every attribute needed for a full-back. He has the pace & stamina. He can tackle the ball well & on top of that, he is a hardworking lad.

It's true that Brown can be clumsy at times & his clumsiness can cause the team valuable points. But that was all in the past. Brown slotted in perfectly at right-back last season when Gary Neville was out injured. He showed great composure & bravery when challenged. He has also showed that he has matured over the years under Sir Alex Ferguson. He is no longer the clumsy defender we all came to know. He has now become an integral part of the Man United team especially since Gary Neville ageing & he can hardly keep up with the pace of the game.

On his best day, Brown is easily one of the best right-backs in the EPL. Like Carrick, I am surprised that for whatever he has accomplished at Man United, he has not been given the chance to shine at International level. Brown should be considered as a serious contender for the right-back slot for the England team. He might not have the experience of Gary Neville but he is learning to read the game & experience comes with playing more games. He also might not be as strong as Micah Richards but he has the pace & stamina to cover for his lack of strength. With that said, Brown can be one of the best right-backs England has ever seen.

Michael Carrick

Carrick is arguably the most under-rated midfielder in English football history. The no-nonsense midfielder is blessed with great technique & great vision. His pin-point passes is an asset to the Manchester United team. But it still remains to be seen whether he can perform at International level if given the chance.

Every true Manchester United fan knows how important Carrick is to the team. He is the true playmaker of the team as he is always the one kick-starting Man United's attack. His through balls & his long balls are always helping his team-mates' cause. He is the one linking Man United's defense to its offence. He is under-rated because he makes everyone else look good. Without Carrick, Man United struggle to attack at times.

It surprises me that someone who has achieved so much at such a great club has not been given the opportunity to shine at International level. Carrick's technique could be a boost to the English team because experienced players such as David Beckham & Michael Owen are finding it difficult to break into the International scene.

If given the chance, it will be interesting to see if Carrick can work either with Gerrard, Lampard or Barry. But I'm sure he can succeed in International because Carrick is such an amazing player. [P.S. Carrick is also under-rated in the FM games]

Stephen Ireland

The man who looks years older than what he actually is. He is easily the most consistent performer in the Man City team. Yes, MOST consistent. Even more than Robinho who blows 'hot' & 'cold'. Robinho can score a hat-trick in one game & fire blanks in the next.

Ireland is seen as an aggressive & 'dirty' player by many. But he is actually a hard-tackling player much like the likes of Paul Scholes & Nicky Butt. He is always outshined by his team-mates whenever Man City played well. Much like Carrick, he makes everyone else look good & Man City too, struggles to attack without Ireland's flair mixed into their attack.

One thing remains to be seen. If Ireland is to fulfill his maximum potential, it is after the January transfer window. The players signed by Mark Hughes can either make or break him. For example, signing a world-class player who plays in his position could either encourage him to do better or it could hinder his progress. One thing is for sure, if he does fulfill his potential, he can establish himself as one of the best midfielders in the EPL. [Note: This, coming from a Man Utd fan]

Jimmy Bullard

Practically another invisible player in the EPL. For all of his great efforts in keeping Fulham in the EPL, almost single-handedly, he is still not given an opportunity in the England shirt. When he was first called up for the England team, I thought he was going to be given his chance, but how wrong was I. He was a victim of the Gerrard-Lampard partnership which until now has yet to work smoothly.

Bullard, as my mate said, has the crossing ability similar to Beckham's. It might not be as perfect as Beckham's. But at least 80% of his crosses reaches his target. In the last few matches last season, the way he played really made me wonder why he is still playing for Fulham. Not for bigger team like Spurs or Aston Villa. He is always dictating tempo & almost starts Fulham's attack every time.

I don't know about you guys but I'm sick & tired of every manager trying to make Gerrard & Lampard work together. They are too similar & cannot complement one another. Unlike Tevez & Rooney, both similar but can complement one another. I would rather see new faces at the heart of the England team. If I can pick one, Bullard might just be up there somewhere.

Dean Ashton

The man who got injured when given the opportunity. But unfairly, the opportunity was never given to him again. Due to him being prone to injury, it has affected his performances & killed his chances of wearing the England jersey. Let's face it. He might never wear the England jersey unless he does something spectacular this season like scoring 20+ goals. But sadly, that does not look like happening.

England has a lot of quality up front. Agbonlahor, Defoe, Crouch, Owen & the regulars Heskey & Rooney. The forwards that Capello can choose are almost scoring regularly. Ashton needs to keep himself from being injured & find the net regularly. By doing so, he might get his chance for an England call-up. Sitting in the treatment room, does not help.

It's a waste that Ashton is injury-prone. He's blessed with shot power & his aerial ability can almost challenge anyone in the air. His physical strength often helps him in situations & his technique is not bad. Remember that goal he scored against Man United last season? The one where he scissored kick. That goal was class. If he can keep himself fit & find the net regularly, I'm sure he'll give Capello a selection headache.

Archived