Ok, here it is

Ok, here it is... don't know how to put this in words, but here it goes. I am an American, brought up on a steady diet of 40 years of (American) football, basketball, baseball, etc., and have really no clue where to begin with this game. I guess my first real question is, where is the manual. I have poked around with the"tutorial" screens in-game, and have poured through lots of disjointed info online...but, is there really no concise manual to speak of?

So, to get things started...can some describe the concept of rosters (senior, U-18, reserves) and how/why players move between them? Also, the idea of players being loaned and called up and national teams is foreign to me...as is transfer fees (i assume this is a one time fee to buy a player?)

In my country (spoken like Borat) I really know alot about the inner workings of sports...however when pressed to manage a football squad I have no idea, and I feel like a 5 year old! I am not asking for someone to give me all the answers, just maybe a resource so that I can begin my education.

I have dove in to the English League system, and think I have that understood.

If you could list a few main questions you have, I'm sure we'd be happy to guide you through. What exactly can you not get your head around?

And playing the MLS might be slightly less foreign, since they still use trades and drafts. :p

Senior Team - Often referred to as the "1st team". This is the only team that plays in the "proper" league and cups. All your best players, young or old should be in this team.

Reserve Team - League teams often have large squads to cover any injuries to their best players. Not all players can make it in to the match day squad of 16 players, so to keep them sharp and "match fit" teams normally have reserve teams that will often play in their own leagues (which aren't really that important, more for practice). Some managers will field players that have just come back from injury in their reserve teams for a couple of games to get them "match fit".

Sometimes if you have a really good youngster you might want to promote him to the Reserve team (as the reserve team is normally stronger) to see how he does in games against better quality players. If he does well you may even want to promote him to the senior team. All depends how good he is.

U18 - Also referred to as youth teams. League clubs run youth teams where they train up young players in the hope that one day they'll be good enough for their "senior team (1st team)". If you can operate an effective youth set up you can save yourself alot of money in the transfer market.

Loan Players - Sometimes you may want to bring in a new player to your team but might not be sure if you want to buy him. (maybe you only need temporary cover due to injuries) If so you can try and loan a player from another team.

Big teams with large squads will often have good players who are not playing very much for their teams and are unhappy that they can't get more first team opportunities. Clubs may often accept loan offers for their players in this situation as it helps keep them happy, gives them more competitive experience and keeps them match fit.

If you loan a player for a season you can use him just like he is one of your own players and play him in competitive games. It can be a great way to trial a player and help decide wether you want to buy him or not.

National teams - Each football playing country has it's own national team with it's own manager. The manager can call up "pick" what he thinks are the countries best players and use them to play other countries in each tournament.

When one of your players is called up for a national team game he will be away for a period of time. This can be a pain but at the same time a player who plays well for his national team will often increase in value quite dramatically so overall it's positive.

Archived