Releasing the player half of a player/staff member

I'm new to this game and managing Hyde in the Blue Square North. My assistant manager is also my backup striker. I'm signing a younger striker to replace him but I want to keep him on as assistant manager. What's the best way to stop paying this guy to play football without also sacking him as a staff member?

This might be obvious but I couldn't find anything in the manual about this and I'm wary that getting it wrong will annoy my asst. manager or accidentally sack him.

Yeah this is the only solution taht I would know. Hopefully he may choose to retire and therefore you renegotiate his contract and it'll have to be a non-player contract.

Or you could offer him a new contract. Under role (which would probably be on Player/Ass Manager by default) change it to just Ass Manager and hopefully he will be interested in what you are offering.

However what I find with ex-players is that they still expect massive contracts so it may be worth keeping him as back-up if it costs the same (or possibly less)

Archived