Champions League Group Qualifiers, how it work?

So the group stage what is the parameters in qualifying from them in terms of priority. Primarily obviously it comes down to points then I thought it was head-to-head but seemingly appears to be goal difference as is the case in my game as Celtic.

Grouped in first season with Arsenal, Bayern Munich and Cluj FC with me Bayern and Arsenal finishing on 12 points apiece

W    D    L    GF    GA    GD     Pts
Arsenal         4    0    2    15     5     +10    12
Bayern          4    0    2    13     6     +7     12
Celtic          4    0    2     9     8     +1     12
FC Cluj         0    0    6     2     20    -18     0

Now by that it obviously signifies Goal difference or maybe goals for take priority but I would like to ask from people if they know the current protocol and rules on qualification?

Cheers

Stuart Wilson

Scrub that found it in the game Champions League rules but it lists in order of,

League Sorting Rules:

Results between teams

Goal Difference

Goals Scored

Coefficients

Now are away goals applicable in the case of results between teams? Bayern beat me 3-1 in Germany with me winning the return 2-0 which you would think would quantify me having the advantage of results against each other unless it is strictly points gained against each other then goal difference comes into play. Strange. :confused:

Scrub that found it in the game Champions League rules but it lists in order of,

League Sorting Rules:

Results between teams

Goal Difference

Goals Scored

Coefficients

Now are away goals applicable in the case of results between teams? Bayern beat me 3-1 in Germany with me winning the return 2-0 which you would think would quantify me having the advantage of results against each other unless it is strictly points gained against each other then goal difference comes into play. Strange. :confused:

You also need to look at the results against Arsenal, as it's three teams on 12 points, not two. Plus your table is incomplete as according to that, only Cluj have played 6 games, and the others 4. So without a complete showing, it's impossible to see with absolute confidence why Celtic are third. However, from the looks of things, all the teams on twelve points got them by beating Cluj twice and each other team once, losing the other game against the top three. This means all three teams are equal in points and equal in results against the other two teams on 12 points. So it comes down to sorting by goal difference, which rightly puts Celtic third. Away goals do not count in results between teams, just the win draw loss record.

Each of the top three losing to each other how? Each of the top three will have played 4 games against the other top three teams, we really need more info. Basically, take the top three team's results against each other (all of them) and form a table. The top two qualify.

Each of the top three losing to each other how? Each of the top three will have played 4 games against the other top three teams, we really need more info. Basically, take the top three team's results against each other (all of them) and form a table. The top two qualify.

The missing games from the table he posted above are the losses against the top three. The head to head results are equal, so it went to goal difference.

Off topic but a simillar discussion

How does qualifiying for the first seed goes about in the EPL? I saw Man Utd getting third but they were awarded the first seed (ie, no need to play for the qualifiying rounds). And they did not win the champions league the previous season!

The competition format for the CL and Uefa Cup change in game (as in IRL) from second season on, meaning teams finishing 1st-3rd no longer have to qualify.

Archived