Gaining American citizenship

Ok, I assume (I don't know this is the case- if it isn't, let me know) that non-EU players eligible for British citizenship will apply for it.

Even if it isn't, why do non-US players in the United States see "no benefit" to applying for American citizenship when they're playing in the American leagues!? Even below MLS, they have foreign player quotas! The benefit is not being counted as a foreign player, and in real life almost every one of them really would.

Ah, but you don't even need citizenship to not count against foreign limits. After a few years of residence you can just get a green card and become a resident without giving up your other citizenship. Most of the foreign players in MLS that do not count against limits have green cards and are not citizens.

Ah, but you don't even need citizenship to not count against foreign limits. After a few years of residence you can just get a green card and become a resident without giving up your other citizenship. Most of the foreign players in MLS that do not count against limits have green cards and are not citizens.

That's true, like Van den Bergh did, but they don't do that in the game. My concern is with the game.

Which countries are they from? I'd suspect most EU nationals probably wouldn't care for American citizenship?

Mostly South America and Africa. Of course some Europeans thrown in too.

Archived