Ever won a league title on goal difference?

I've seen it happen before in 08 but never actually been in that situation myself, I would be bricking it in your position mate, couple goals either way and you could lose the title :s

Let us know what the final result is, hope it's good for you :thup:

I think I might be about to .. one game to go.

12302008205127ne5.jpg

Is that even possible?! Man this is going to be close. :eek:

Knowing the wonderful world of FM though, you and AIK will both probably lose and Helsingborg will come along and win and steal it on the last day

Wooah now that is awesome. Amazing achievement mate! Beats mine hands down .. :thup:

It wasnt as close for me really so not as exciting ;) I had far superior GD so was pretty much guaranteed title. In your situation theres 3 teams who could easily clinch title, I would be so nervous in last game.

In real life back in the 2002/03 season Rangers beat Celtic to the title on the last day by +1 goal difference.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2002-2003/table.

Later in the 2004/05 season on the last day of the season forever know as Helicopter Sunday (google it) they beat them again on the last day of the season - this time by 1 point as McDonald scored for Motherwell in stoppage time (if he hadn't they would have lost on goal difference again).

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-league/2004-2005/table

I'd really hate to have a better goal difference, but lose out because the league puts head to head record ahead of goal difference. I don't like that method anyway. Teams should be seperated based on their performance all season. Points are the obvious first choice for doing this, but after that, it should be goal difference. Head to head only takes two matches into account.

Les Girondins - Make sure you let us know how it goes.

I once lost the Premier League title on 01/02 with Barnet to Liverpool by one goal, thanks to Liverpool scoring an injury time equaliser at Crystal Palace on the final day of the season. I was devastated.

The following season I lost out by one point to Hull City. It just wasn't to be!

Yes

With West Ham,in FM08.Blackburn me and Man UTD Were the 3 teams.I was 2nd at the beginning of the day.Blackburnhad +52,I had +51,Man Utd had +53and they were 3rd.Ironically I had a match with Man Utd at the last day,beat them 3-1.Blackburn too won,1-0 so they had +53 and I too had +53,but I had scored 73 goals,and they had 72(OMFG!)

Was lovely winning that season

IIRC in FM07 i lost out on the title due to Alphabetical order! I was Man City, and me and Liverpool finished the season with the same GD, same goals scored and conceded, results between us were the same (dont even know if that counts but i checked on that anyway) and the only logical reason i could come up with as to why i finished 2nd and they won it was the fact there name comes first in the alphabet!

It'd take quite a bit for results between three teams to produce no tiebreak (i.e. the exact same result in each team's four games against the other two). Even in that case there would be a playoff.

Archived