The importance of harmony and squad gelling

After playing quite a few seasons I am beginning to realize that good squad harmony along with having a team has gelled together and has a good understanding of each other is critical if any success is to be achieved.

My belief is that I simply cannot be successful no matter who is on the field if the two of these elements are not in good shape. My questions are, has anyone had success with poor squad harmony, and has anyone had success in the form of winning the league shortly after bringing in a lot of new players at the start of a season and hence had to go through a long period of gelling together?

After playing quite a few seasons I am beginning to realize that good squad harmony along with having a team has gelled together and has a good understanding of each other is critical if any success is to be achieved.

My belief is that I simply cannot be successful no matter who is on the field if the two of these elements are not in good shape. My questions are, has anyone had success with poor squad harmony, and has anyone had success in the form of winning the league shortly after bringing in a lot of new players at the start of a season and hence had to go through a long period of gelling together?

hmm no, although i have only ever managed one team, that being Reading, the time i finished highest in the league was when i only bought 1 player in the summer that was actually supposed to be a replacement for any of my first team

the seasons after that i have chopped and changed too much to try and improve the squad, but ive just started a new season now with very little activity in the market, only one big move and lots of little squad strengthening signings and so far sitting 3rd, playing much better than usual

Your comment about very little activity in the market is what I am really looking for info on. I am trying to find out if sticking with nearly the same squad you had last year will produce good results at the beginning of the year opposed to making a bunch of signings for better players but maybe not getting the results.

For 3 years straight I have had terrible starts to the season only to come back very strong at the end, and I am thinking the reason is too much player movement in the summer. I have tons of cash and feel like I can and should get some great players, but that may not be the best thing to do.

well based on what ive seen in my... 10 seasons now i think it is, definately try and stick with your same squad, 1 maybe 2 additions at most that are going to change your starting lineup, of course you may have to take a season or two to get your team that you want that could include more than a few transfers in personnel, however i finally have the squad i want in my game, and ive just beaten top of the league chelsea, to go top of the league

also one more point, on 2, maybe 3 occasions i too have found that ive been the form team in the last 10 games of the season, only to be rubbish again at the start of the next season, i like to change my squad around, so my advice, dont change it that much, try to keep it the same, seems to work.

p.s who the hell invented a bruised head would keep you out for 2 weeks? :D

I'd allways start of bad in the league when i'd make a few signings for my Real Madrid team (3/4 or more), but 6/7 games in i'd stick with the same team and tactic and we'd start to really start producing.

I signed one player in season 3 and we're 12 points clear with half the season played. Unbeaten in the league. Started off strong and an carrying it on. So yeah, I do think it matters, alot.

From now on I'm easing any new signings in slowly, as it just doesnt work well throwing them straight into the team. Maybe a few half time sub apperances etc

Yes, I have definately noticed that squad harmony and team gelling play a big part in how well your team performs in FM09. As I have replied elsewhere, I have completely overhauled my Chelsea side first season and I couldn't win anything for 2 seasons because the squad was not gelled and no one could speak any English. Now in my 3rd season I did not introduce any new players into my first team, as a result of which the players have forged an extremely strong understanding, everyone speaks English and I am destroying everyone in sight.

I took Wrexham job at the start of the 2nd season in Blue Sq Prem.

I bought in 12 new signings at the start of the season along with 3 loans before the new year.

I was expected to finish 2nd, but i had an poor season up to Feb. Then the team seemed to just click. 16 Games = 10 Wins, 12 Clean Sheets.

So i think the team is happier with a stable starting 11.

Just started new season bringing in 3 signings (only 1 starter) and 2 loans. Pld 5 Won 5 - 3 Clean Sheets.

Archived