Players not being able to be called up for their second nationality

I've had a couple of news items as England manager of players now being able to be called up after they've received their new English nationalities. In both cases, their desire "to get a taste of international football playing for England" was cited in the news items, but when I click on their player page I still only get the default choices and not one where I can call them up. This isn't a problem with players like Almunia, who already have their British citizenship at the start of the game and who I can call up without a problem, even without a British cap to their name.

Any solutions?

isn't that only if they've appeared for the youth internationals?

otherwise amauri wouldn't have the opportunity to play for italy as it is now, etc

Nope. Fairly certain, as this has happened IRL to a Chinese-born Singapore player.

A Dutch player, Ibrahim Affelay (PSV Eindhoven), had to choose last spring which nation he would represent, either Holland or Marroco. He had to do this before a certain age. He is born on Arpil 2nd 1986, which makes him 22 years old.

If you play a international after your 22 years, you will be tied to that country, you still can get the second nationality, for work permit issues.

The only rule I know is that if the player has been capped for one country, he is only eligible to play for that country. So if he has an U19 cap, he can't play for any other nation.

Wrong.

James Henry: capped for England U19s and Scotland U19s.

Jem Karacan: capped for Turkey at various youth levels, still eligible to play for England.

Then there's Hargreaves.

Micado

Isnt it the case that whatever age you play an international for a country you are tied to that country or are you able to change if its before the age of 22?

No, Quincy Owesu Abeybi (former Arsenal, Celta de Vigo and CSKA Moskau iirc) player did play for holland at the U21 WC, which was held in Holland, but last year he played for Ghana at the Africa of Nations cup at senior level. He did choose before the age of 22.

Have they played at youth level tournements e.g. U21 Champs or U19 CHamps because you're not aloud to play for another country if you have played in a official FIFA tournement. E.g. Lorenzo Amourso and Brian Howard not being aloud to play for Scotland

Happened to me tried call up a player to singapore national team who was young kid from ivory coast with no caps who also stated his desire to play for them b/c he felt he would not get a chance with ivory coast after he got singapore status and took control of the national team and it will not let me call him up to singapore

Archived