CM v FM

Not sure if I've posted this in the right thread, or indeed whether it is permitted to ask this at all - though since we live in a democracy I can't see any over-riding reason why not.

I'll start by saying I'm not an FM basher. I've owned every CM game from 01/02 through to the current FM 09. I followed the CM series into FM rather than buy the "new" CM.

One of the main reasons for my long-standing loyalty to FM was because, ;put simply, it suited me better because it concentrated on player accuracy, research, accurate stats and a decent realistic match engine. I always felt FM was the "thinking man's" football sim while CM developed into the "gamer's" football sim...bit flashier but less substance.

Now that CM09 - with it's 3D match view - is around the corner I'm wondering how the CM series is faring. I haven't played any of the non-SI incarnations but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth a change.

It's not that I hate FM09. I don't. Yes it has irritating bugs but nothing (since 9.02 patch) that is a game-breaker. I just don't seem to enjoy it as much. Firstly I just can't get to grips with the tactics like I once could. Secondly I don't understand why things happen in the ME and how that connects with sliders like I once could.

In short FM09 has begun to feel alittle less fun and a lot more like hard work.

Bear in mind I'm days short of 42 years old, have a demanding career, two sons under 11, two dogs that need walking and a wife that demands help around the house (how did that happen). I have less time to "tweak" and less inclination to "tweak", and really don't want to spend six months waiting for my team to "gel".

So the question is as a lot of people out there clearly own and play both CM and FM what is the difference bnetween the two games, which do you prefer and why and what would yopu reccomend for an old fart who just wants an hour's fund every night (keep suggestions clean please).

If you don't mind an outdated database, FM05 and FM07 were both very good.

But how do they compare to CM08...and does anyone have any ideas how CM09 is shaping up with its 3d match view?

Like I said uit used to be that FM was about stats and realism and CM was about flashy presentation. Now they both have 3d match views is that fundamental difference now lost?

Play the Championship Manager 2008 demo (for free on their website) to give you an idea of what the CM series is like.

I will give it a go Matthew Le God .... but I've always trusted the views of other gamers on this forum and was interested to hear their views on how they compare. What do you think?

I was always a CM player until last year where I grew tired of the unrealistic CM series and moved to playing FM. The main differences between FM and CM are as follows:

1) CM is a lot less detailed both database wise and game wise- by this i mean what you can do tactically, training, scouting etc

2) CM is unrealistically easy- you can develop a tactic that as long as your players are good enough, you will win most games comfortably

3) FM is slower and more in depth management whereas CM gameplay happens quicker with less happening between games

4) CM DOES however, have ProZone which imo, is superb

Having bought every CM game from CM2 back in 1995, I know a lot about the game. However it doesnt come close to FM really. I can't properly comment on CM09 yet as I dont know enough. I do know they have revamped the game, added the 3D match engine which to be honest look as good if not better than FM's and supposedly added new features to the game.

I will give it a go Matthew Le God .... but I've always trusted the views of other gamers on this forum and was interested to hear their views on how they compare. What do you think?

I suggested the demo because surely playing the game yourself and forming your own opinion is better than listening to randoms on the internet. For what its worth I think its terrible and miles behind FM but give it a try :)

wots the point of cm09 being released right at the end of the season it will be out of date within 2 months and they will have to compete with the next fm in six months after release, stupid if ya ask me

I think they are aiming for a release with fewer bugs than SI did. wether they will achieve that is a different thing all together.

to the OP, CM has pro-zone, which is far ahead of SI's AM feedback, also expect lots of "CM sucks because it's CM" replies.

as for comparing them, they have both moved in different directions to cater to different gamer expectations. in it's own right CM is a good game but has less depth than FM

wots the point of cm09 being released right at the end of the season it will be out of date within 2 months and they will have to compete with the next fm in six months after release, stupid if ya ask me

It's not being released at the end of the season :confused: Neary two months after FM was so it's not that big of a deal. CM players will still have a whole year to play it before the next version comes out. Maybe the people at CM have heard about all the bugs in 9.0.0 and 9.0.1 in FM09 and decided to put more time into testing CM to make sure it is as bug free as possible.

I would do as suggested before and go back to CM01/02 with updates, as you will get a season done in 2 or 3 hours compared to FM's 22 to 24 hours.

I did just that and believe it or not (and I cannot believe I am typing this as I love CM00/01 and CM01/02) but after a few hours the older games although fun "got boring fast" in comparrison to the newer FM08/09. I do however enjoy the depth of the newer games and CM00/01 and CM01/02 will always have a place on my PC.

I tend to give every management game a go and CM08 is a pretty decent game, in my opinion. The problem is that you'll always be comparing it to FM and it doesn't match up. For all the abuse that the FM match engine gets on here, it's so far ahead the opposition that it's laughable.

Sorry I must've missed the joke.

For the OP - try the CM demo - or even better - wait for the next incarnation of CM (should be around in March).

Football Manager is (very, very sadly) getting worse and worse. I think Championship Manager might be worth the wait.

Ta,

Giuseppe.

I think they are aiming for a release with fewer bugs than SI did. wether they will achieve that is a different thing all together.

to the OP, CM has pro-zone, which is far ahead of SI's AM feedback, also expect lots of "CM sucks because it's CM" replies.

as for comparing them, they have both moved in different directions to cater to different gamer expectations. in it's own right CM is a good game but has less depth than FM

Thanks for everyone's opinions and I will take Matthew's advice and try the demo...though I have to confess I'm more interested in the release of CM09 than I have been in any previous versions. I think that's partly because the 3D ME will be directly comparable between FM and CM and since it forms such a huge part of the experience and the games will be more directly comparable than ever before.

I suppose it will still be horses for courses but if the ME seems to work better and the tactics are more accessable to less "dedicated" gamers than I'm prepared to sacrifice some depth of data.

Now that transfer windows have been introduced trawling through impressive stats is only done for three months of the year anyway - whereas you have to watch the matches for nine months!

I'll still buy and play FM probably but I will buy CM09 for the first time in years (unless the demo really sucks).

Archived