FM 09 is painfully slow on Mac OS X

Hi,

I have purchased a new Macbook Air and started to play, at least try, FM 2009. However it is very very slow, even i wait for 15 minutes to process, and also the classical match view is very slow. I was running it on my old notebook, a Toshiba core duo, and it was much more faster than this.

I have tried many things like setting the detail level to minimum, selecting only one league, and turning of the pictures and so on. But no way. Now its not playable for me.

I am using a Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Core 2 Duo 1.7ghz, and almost nothing is installed on it as it is so new.

If anyone has something to say about this,please help me...

CPU running at full speed - not scaled?

How much ram is in that thing?

What is slow, result processing or the 3d? The Air is integrated graphics aka not really suitable for gaming.

How many leagues are you running and what level of detail?

Its 2 GB ram and i not running any other program. By the way I only run 1 league at the minimum detail level.i now its not suitable for gaming but, you know i am not trying to run a high graphic engine game, or a simulation game. i am playing fm series for almost 10 years and i never had a top graphics card. it shouldnt be that slow, when people with older notebooks are playing this game.

Its 2 GB ram and i not running any other program. By the way I only run 1 league at the minimum detail level.i now its not suitable for gaming but, you know i am not trying to run a high graphic engine game, or a simulation game. i am playing fm series for almost 10 years and i never had a top graphics card. it shouldnt be that slow, when people with older notebooks are playing this game.

You might have more joy in the Macintosh Support forum: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 :thup:

Actually, having look in there and watched the tumbleweeds blowing through I feel your pain. ;)

thanx mate, but i had checked it in advance, but nothing useful there.

just other pains :)

Sorry couldn't be more useful. Have used the mac releases extensively in the past but when they dropped PPC I shifted to a x86 PC and sort of lost track.

Hopefully someone will spot this thread. :thup:

Something's definitely not right there mate, it should be running fine

I'm running it on a 2007 Macbook Pro (2.16GHz dual core, 2Gb ram) not far off your specs and it flies through the processing. Can't help you with what it might be but like I said, your machine should run it fine.

Something's definitely not right there mate, it should be running fine

I'm running it on a 2007 Macbook Pro (2.16GHz dual core, 2Gb ram) not far off your specs and it flies through the processing. Can't help you with what it might be but like I said, your machine should run it fine.

thanx mate, yea i also think that it should be fine, but simply can't.i am using an real copy of the game also but something is wrong i think.maybe i have to format the notebook and install again.

looks like nobody has the same problem.thanks anyway.

thanx mate, yea i also think that it should be fine, but simply can't.i am using an real copy of the game also but something is wrong i think.maybe i have to format the notebook and install again.

looks like nobody has the same problem.thanks anyway.

I have exactly the same problem, running on Macbook Air 1.8GHz, 64GB SSD.

At times its lightning fast, then it'll slow down to unplayable speeds - then randomly speed up again (can be 10 mins later, 30 mins, an hour... and go back slow at any time).

My hard drive died yesterday though and i'm typing this from Apple store having just got a brand new SSD installed - will install FM when back at hotel and let you know if that improves, absolutely nothing else will have been installed on the laptop bar updates which are installing now.

I think it might be a RAM allocation issue as when FM is running fast, it's using a "normal" amount of RAM - ~600MB; when its running slow it's only using ~250MB.

To note it used to play FM2008 with no speed problems.

Adam

No problems running FM2008 or 2009 on my MacBook

1.8Ghz Core2Duo

1.25Gb Ram

Could it be something else you guys are running in the background (time machine?)?

For the guys with the MacBook Airs, SSD's I know can sufferer from lag when writing, so not sure if that could be part of the problem....

Let us know if rebuilding fixes it!

Cheers

Onkster

I have exactly the same problem, running on Macbook Air 1.8GHz, 64GB SSD.

At times its lightning fast, then it'll slow down to unplayable speeds - then randomly speed up again (can be 10 mins later, 30 mins, an hour... and go back slow at any time).

My hard drive died yesterday though and i'm typing this from Apple store having just got a brand new SSD installed - will install FM when back at hotel and let you know if that improves, absolutely nothing else will have been installed on the laptop bar updates which are installing now.

I think it might be a RAM allocation issue as when FM is running fast, it's using a "normal" amount of RAM - ~600MB; when its running slow it's only using ~250MB.

To note it used to play FM2008 with no speed problems.

Adam

exactly the same problem.despite being clearly slow, it becomes much more slower after a while, and it really drives me crazy. i have seen a friend of mine playing the game with an older toshiba,2 years old, and its like flying. i am so jealous about it. i hope this time it works in your new notebook. i will rebuild the system today and let know if any changes occur.

i hope you can enjoy it now,waiting for your comment.

Zeki

So far no better - clean machine and its generally slow - though I haven't had any major slow downs yet, it just runs generally slow.

When I get back to the UK, I'm going to try it in Parralles/VMware and see if there are any performance differences. I'll also try BootCamp.

Adam

So far no better - clean machine and its generally slow - though I haven't had any major slow downs yet, it just runs generally slow.

When I get back to the UK, I'm going to try it in Parralles/VMware and see if there are any performance differences. I'll also try BootCamp.

Adam

i formatted and rebuilt my mac and now the game's processing is much more faster,but the classical 2d view is too slow again, i think i not gonna be able to fix it.

I've only ever been playing it on classic view, no 3D / 2D watching of games.

As an update I noticed that the 9.2 update hadn't actually patched the install after my reinstall. I had a couple of hours last night running smooth"ish". No hang-ups just a little bit laggy at times.

Adam

No,no way. I think I am not gonna be able to play this game, it ****ing sucks because it is really slow enough to make me throw away the notebook. I don't if its mac's or SI's fault but, I am deeply unhappy about it. what should I do? should I buy a new lap-top for FM2009?:(

• SI Staff

I'm afraid I don't have a Mac laptop to hand - but on my iMac its not stellar fast but is reasonable (much faster than my aging laptop put it that way).

I've only 2Gb in my Mac and I've seen it 'churn' - that is hit a stage in memory where its paging in and out continually which slows down processing speed considerably.

Can you check if you have a similar situation happening on your laptop - if this is the case then try to lighten the load which is active (shutting down inactive processes and suchlike, Mac Format magazine has a few articles on this in the latest copy over here in the states - dunno if its the current UK one or not) or if possible install some extra RAM.

I'm afraid I don't have a Mac laptop to hand - but on my iMac its not stellar fast but is reasonable (much faster than my aging laptop put it that way).

I've only 2Gb in my Mac and I've seen it 'churn' - that is hit a stage in memory where its paging in and out continually which slows down processing speed considerably.

Can you check if you have a similar situation happening on your laptop - if this is the case then try to lighten the load which is active (shutting down inactive processes and suchlike, Mac Format magazine has a few articles on this in the latest copy over here in the states - dunno if its the current UK one or not) or if possible install some extra RAM.

I also have 2gb ram, and I don't run any other programs when I am running FM, apart from this, I don't experience a speed problem when I run other applications. I am not sure if its because of the ram, my old laptop was also 2gb ram, 1 year old, and it was a Intel Core Duo, whereas this Macbook Air is Core2 Duo.

Anyway, if its the case, I try to install additional ram, by the way I have no idea how i can....

the performance on my macbook (c2d t8300, 2gb, graphics: X3100) is very poor

the match engine is so jittery/stuttery, the processing is fine, fast, but the program lags and becomes unresponsive at times, but the fan is soooo loud

i also have the game installed on bootcamp vista. runs so much better on that, not sure why, still lags at times when moving players about on tactics screen ,and drop down boxes on match days. fans are the same

however the 2d match engine runs perfect, no stutter moments

i think its because vista allocates more memory for the graphics card. in OS X it only allows 144mb or something ram, and in windows it allocates over 200mb from ram or something which possibly helps in it running smoother in match day (so my research states)

i HATE having to run it on bootcamp as i wish i only had to use OS X, but the performance is so much better, is definitely worth it

i for the record have the first patch installed which helped sort many issues, but the 2d engine is still very stuttery in OS X

Archived