Webster rule suggestion

I guess every single person know what Webster rule is (about players that can change club after 2/3 years). I would suggest to add feature that allows club to sign players under this law same way as normal "make an offer" works. It could be offer type when making an offer or just separated button.

There is rare possibility to see player saying he consider to leave club under Webster rule (it was in FM08 I think). How many players? Hmm, not much because they get improved contracts but I was reading about Arsenal players today and there was list of players that can leave Arsenal this year (van Persie, Vela) and players which be able to leave for several years. It was just suggestion anyway :p

I am pretty sure this 'rule' has only been used once...by Andy Webster - I'll call him a judas as I'm a Hearts fan and it was when he was at Hearts he invoked this little known rule. Funny how he is now sitting (on loan at Brostol City) on the bench not even getting a game.....when just before he invoked this rule was regarded as one of the best young Scottish prospects.

I wasnt aware of it being in the game before, but yeah it would be a good idea to bring it back again. Although how annoying would it be if your Ronaldo, VanPersie etc invoked this when at your club! arrrgghhh!

The protected/unprotected rule? Wasn't it introduced for CM01/02 only to be taken out a few years later?

It was a fair bit later than that although I can't remember which. It was taken out because it didn't seem to ever happen in real life.

I remember someone from SI saying that rules like this would only be included if it was perfectly clear how they work in the real football world on a regular basis. A rule that has been used by one player and no one else is unlikely to make it in since it would drastically change they way the transfer market would work, making it no longer realistic.

To be fair the whole Andy Webster thing - not even FIFA/SFA etc knew what was going on....it happend about two years ago and was only resolved about 5/6 months ago - the Court of Arbritration (sp) ruled that Webster had to pay Hearts something like £650k compensation for breech of contract....he appealed it and Hearts ended up getting about £120k.....considering he 'could' have been sold for millions it is still very unclear.

I take back my previous post where I say it should be added......It should not!

It was a fair bit later than that although I can't remember which.

Pretty sure it was 01/02, you always got a news message saying FIFA had changed transfer rules. Or my memory could be going. :D

A few players have used the Webster ruling to pay and get out of their contracts - the Newcatle player Jonas I believe used this in his favour to leave his club in Spain to join Newcastle. Basically if you are under the age of 28 and signed a contract 3 years prior you can pay to get out of your contract. After the age of 28 you only need to wait 2 years before you can pay to get out of your contract.

Archived