FM 09 Annoyingly Unplayable

Hi everyone,

Just bought FM 09 today, installed it with Steam and that was fine and entered my product code and everything was going great. Then I launched the game through Steam and it was so slow. It kept on doing the loading thing in the corner with all the different languages for loading spinning around. It also takes ages for my computer to respond when I click on something, it also takes about 15 minutes to process, it's really annoying me and all I want to do is get QPR to the Premiership :D

I know you've all probably heard this before and it's all been explained in this thread but I just wanted everyone to see the specs of my computer and to acknowledge the problem, please help, all my Football Manager games have been quite slow but not incredibly annoyingly slow!

Here are the specifications of my computer

Dell Dimension 3100C

2.8GHz Intel Celeron D 336

512MB of RAM

80GB hard disk

Intel integrated graphics

16x DVD-ROM drive

Also, could someone explain what threading and window mode are and if they will help?

Help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brad

You R'sss :p

Cheers Chris I guessed it wouldn't be great news because I knew my computers crap for games but good for everything else! I run only two leagues usually but now i will just run England and use a small database, but will what will improve the speed of processing? Windowed mode? Threading?

The main thing to check is the detail setting: make sure you only have the league you are currently managing in on full detail. Lose the internationals and european competitions. Also don't run more than 5 leagues playable or load more than 3 additional nations of players. :thup:

My anti virus does update alot but how do i stop it from virus checking FM?

Turn it off?

Use task manager and check to see what's running. This is also very useful for monitoring FM's memory usage.

End process anything that isn't absolutely neccessary. Also download Ccleaner and run it. You could also check to make sure your disk isn't horribly fragmented. The usual stuff.

Just found out how to DxDiag and these were the results:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Language: English

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DC051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz

Memory: 246MB RAM

Page File: 368MB used, 235MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

So I don't have 512MB of RAM! ffs! So this is the real problem! Is this a dead end then and really I need much more RAM? Can I buy some? Is it cheap? Where can I buy it? How do I add it to my computer?

Just found out how to DxDiag and these were the results:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Language: English

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dell DC051

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz

Memory: 246MB RAM

Page File: 368MB used, 235MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

So I don't have 512MB of RAM! ffs! So this is the real problem! Is this a dead end then and really I need much more RAM? Can I buy some? Is it cheap? Where can I buy it? How do I add it to my computer?

Very VERY cheap, you can get like 2GB from £12-25 quid. Especially from ebay.

Very VERY cheap, you can get like 2GB from £12-25 quid. Especially from ebay.

Used RAM? That's pot luck. As for new: Unfortunately I suspect the variety of RAM he would need is now (thanks to reduced production yields) rather expensive. It would be better to simply tough it out and upgrade to a modern machine in the near future. There'll be plenty of cheap PC's/components next year when margins start to shrink.

Used RAM? That's pot luck. As for new: Unfortunately I suspect the variety of RAM he would need is now (thanks to reduced production yields) rather expensive. It would be better to simply tough it out and upgrade to a modern machine in the near future. There'll be plenty of cheap PC's/components next year when margins start to shrink.

Not entirely, the companies are selling it cheap on ebay. I got my 4GB like that and it works fine. But yes it is pot-luck if you buy it from someone else.

Well there's no solution and I can't buy another computer because I have no money. My brother has a laptop but he hates FM and doesn't think computers are for playing games because they slow it down and take up a lot of space. Well i'm very unhappy and this is pathetic by the makers of the game because a lot of people love FM and it's very obsessive, it's like a drug and it's so annoying that I can't play it and now I pretty much have nothing to do at home now. Well i'll have to take it back, when I just took the PSP version back cos the lack of detail was poor, cheers for everyone who tried to help.

Well there's no solution and I can't buy another computer because I have no money. My brother has a laptop but he hates FM and doesn't think computers are for playing games because they slow it down and take up a lot of space. Well i'm very unhappy and this is pathetic by the makers of the game because a lot of people love FM and it's very obsessive, it's like a drug and it's so annoying that I can't play it and now I pretty much have nothing to do at home now. Well i'll have to take it back, when I just took the PSP version back cos the lack of detail was poor, cheers for everyone who tried to help.

The fact is that the game needs to move on and the hardware that people play it on has to as well. Developers can't continue to support specifications that hold back progress in their products.

Are you serious?! I didn't even say anything that bad! All I said was that I was p.i.s.s.e.d off and i've had it with FM. Didn't have a go at any of you at all even said thanks for the help in an earlier post. You know what it's like when you get something new you want to try it out straight away and you get all excited and look forward to it and then you get let down, my I would've never expected it from FM, but, who knew? My luck really.

Archived