Questions and observations

I have got through a few seasons and have a few questions.

How accurate are the stats that you see? The reason I ask is that I have a couple of players that seem to outperform others that have better attributes. Also what's up with the assistant pick for your lineup? It seems that the assistant will pick lesser players to start sometimes. Does the assitant know more than me?

Anyone know or have ideas?

I have got through a few seasons and have a few questions.

How accurate are the stats that you see? The reason I ask is that I have a couple of players that seem to outperform others that have better attributes. Also what's up with the assistant pick for your lineup? It seems that the assistant will pick lesser players to start sometimes. Does the assitant know more than me?

Anyone know or have ideas?

• SI Staff

Every player in the game has some hidden ratings which will affect their performance, these vary from 'mental' attributes (ie. can he handle the pressure of big games, does he play better when upset or worse? etc.) to 'form' adjustments (which might be due to natural form or him being 'rusty' because of injury or jaded because of over playing etc.).

On top of this the relationships between players can heavily affect their performances - for instance a pair of central defenders who work well together will generally do better than two slightly more skillful ones who detest each other - etc.

The Assistant is designed to pick a 'reasonable' side but not the best possible one in any shape or form (so no its not that he's a genius icon_wink.gif ).

Finally - if you play a player out of position then he will play somewhat worse than he normally would - how much worse is dependant on his natural adaptability and also how different his 'out of position' role is to his normal one.

By that I mean a player who is a striker playing in an attacking midfield role will feel 'awkward' but be fairly functional, however put that same striker in a defenders role and he'll probably feel totally out of sorts and play much worse.

(exception to this DMC's and AMC's can play equally well in a standard midfield role)

99% of the time i let the assistant pick my starting line up i normally pick the subs and tweak the starting line up if its needed and ive had a lot of success doing this.

It does help though if youve got a strong squad of players though

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjmerit:

Thanks Marc. Pretty much reinforced ideas I already had but I was curious. BTW, I really enjoy the game even though I from the States and know very little about professional football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you're enjoying the game icon_biggrin.gif

PS - I live in the States (Florida) myself these days ... I've been very impressed with the amount of football available on TV over here, I get to watch more Premiership football than I used to in England icon_biggrin.gif

@Ridley, now that I'm in my 5th season with Torquay United and have improved my squad quite a bit I'm finding that I'm doing the same.

@Marc, I'm working and living in Qatar right now, and on TV I can get more of your kind of football than I can my own kind icon_smile.gif

Another question, how much of a reduction in abilities does a player designated as right, left or center take from playing on the wrong side?

And one more, how does the handheld compare to the PC version? Like I said I'm enjoying the game and have been thinking of shelling out the cash for '08 on the PC later on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Glad you're enjoying the game

PS - I live in the States (Florida) myself these days ... I've been very impressed with the amount of football available on TV over here, I get to watch more Premiership football than I used to in England </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too mate. I live in Oregon - about as far from you as England is! But I get way more live games than I ever did in England. I am a long time Chelsea fan and have seen every single Chelsea game so far this season and that includes Carling Cup and Champions League. And no PPV either. Love it! Also italian, spanish, french, german, dutch, scottish and south american football. It's puts the coverage in England to shame!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjmerit:

Another question, how much of a reduction in abilities does a player designated as right, left or center take from playing on the wrong side? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends partially on the role he's given - if he has position dependant actions such as crosses expected then it will affect him more than if he's simply a slogging defender expected to make tackles and hoof the ball forward once he's got it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And one more, how does the handheld compare to the PC version? Like I said I'm enjoying the game and have been thinking of shelling out the cash for '08 on the PC later on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The PSP version is a 'light' version of the PC game - its aimed at being a bit more fun and easier to pick up and play than that version.

The PC version demands a bit more of people with regards attention to detail and playing time - it takes me a minimum of 2-3 days to blast through a season 'quickly' on the PC whereas on the PSP I can easily play a season an evening.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mightyowl28:

just the one Brighton fan in the US of A then?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh - think of it more as Brighton now have an American agent promoting them ... I'll convert some people over here yet icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The PSP version is a 'light' version of the PC game - its aimed at being a bit more fun and easier to pick up and play than that version.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definatley! I have played all the CM/FM games created by SIgames since the 97/98 season. I think it took the wrong path at football manager and added unncessary functions to it although I am still a fan of the 2d pitch and finances.

Archived