Laughable real life transfers (keeping FM transfers in mind)

I'll take the example of Alberto Gilardino,

back to back 23 league goal seasons with Parma

becomes the hottest property in Italian football

signed by AC Milan in summer of 05 for 24 mill euros.

scores 17 league goals but scoreless in UCL

offered an extension in oct 06 to take him to 07/08 season

scores 12 goals in league and 1 in UCL in 06/07

assumes captaincy of italy vs. south africa in oct 08 after de rossi goes off icon_eek.gif

9 goal 07/08 season

now this is the clincher: sold for roughly 14.5 mill euros to fiorentina!

no WAY he can possibly get sold for that amount in the game (taking inflated game economy into account)

here is what he has contributed to milan: 44 goals in 132 appearances and a loss of 10 million euro!

talk about lack of business sense.

this is just my club, you guys got other examples?

It's a loss of 10 million euro, but you don't know how much he was earning, perhaps the reduction in wages would be the equivalent to the money lost over the years. Also if it frees up wage space to bring in an Adebayor ( icon_biggrin.gif sorry I still find it hilarious that Milan are after him) or Drogba who can fire Milan to Serie A title then it will all seem like good business sense.

In game Nani went from Man Utd to Aston Villa for £425k, in the 3rd season. I think he was only 25.

For me the most laughable transfer of all time has to Newcastle and the fact that anyone would spend even one pound on Joey Barton.

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also if it frees up wage space to bring in an Adebayor ( Big Grin sorry I still find it hilarious that Milan are after him)

The Milan board a clearly FM addicts . The fecker has won World Footballer of the Year 3 years running on my Spurs save! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish.

another joke:

Henry to Barca for 16mill.

and the fact that FM legnds Zaccardo and Barzagli have both moved to Wolfsburg IRL

Originally posted by milanfan_apoorv:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also if it frees up wage space to bring in an Adebayor ( Big Grin sorry I still find it hilarious that Milan are after him)

The Milan board a clearly FM addicts . The fecker has won World Footballer of the Year 3 years running on my Spurs save! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish.

another joke:

and the fact that FM legnds Zaccardo and Barzagli have both moved to Wolfsburg IRL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barzagli even turned down Fiorentina.

Why is Wolfsburg so good? Something must be wrong here...*hints*BUNGS! BLOODY BUNGS*end hint*

Ronaldo could not be that cheap either in FM or irl.

Anyway, I found in game transfer can actually project the rl transfer! Bosingwa signed for Real Sociedad in my game for 16M while he's actually going to Chelsea for that same amount.

Wolfsburg isn't that bad team. Felix Magath is still the manager, right? It could be a challenge of turning a medium team into a leading side, just like Man City, only it is in Germany instead.

another joke:

and the fact that FM legnds Zaccardo and Barzagli have both moved to Wolfsburg IRL

I'm not sure whether you mean they paid too much or too little for Henry, it would seem like a decent enough buit of business considering his lack of form and could be considered poor business because they won't make it back (unless it's Newcastle buying icon_biggrin.gif ).

As for Zaccardo and Barzagli, it used to be that Italian players playing abroad weren't even considered for the national team e.g. Zola, but perhaps Luca Toni's success at Bayern and continued presence in the squad has encouraged more to ply their trade abroad. Of course Wolfsburg are no FC Bayern, but they qualified for the CL this season I think and could have been guaranteed a better push for league titles in the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg than Serie A with Forentina etc.

This is turning into an off topic discussion, are we comparing FM and real life transfers or just listing strange real life transfers.

How about Newcastle paying £6m more than Real paid for Michael Owen even though he had made something like 8 starts icon_biggrin.gif Our we could just list a majority of the Chelsea squad.

wolfgang wolf of wolfsburg Vrs arsene of arsenal

used to crack me up sometimes....

also, love the whole 'i know a fifa agent' crap.. lovely mate... great argument... icon_rolleyes.gif

dos santos is clearly a brilliant talent.. anyone can see that.. its just undeveloped, and the case is he wasnt happy with not being first choice at barce.. so of course he'll move, and with ramos' track-record of getting under achievers and badboys to play, he'll do well....

in game the board may not wnat to sell a layer, so he doesn't go cheap.

in real life things change so the board will consider offers. player goes for a reasonable price.

in game the board feels like they would want to consider offers, so the player leaves for a reasonable price.

it all depends on whats happening at that exact moment.

take behrami as an example. he's usually the first player i buy in FM08. i've got him forf 10mill before. other times i've had to pay 15mill.

other times they wont accept 25mill.

depends if you can unsettle him quickly enough or if you can do something that will make them want to sell.

I still find it funny that people think Ade is rubbish in real life, despite putting away 30 goal this season. Because I was always under the impression 30+ goal a season strikers were like, really in demand.

I also find this myth about Henry having a bad season amusing. This season, for barca, he made 40 starts, rarely staying on for the whole game, 7 apps of the bench, out of position on the left wing. His scored 19 goals. Last time I checked, most teams would kill for a midfield player that can put that many goals in.

And Dos Santos isnt half as good as he was hyped. His got good technical ability, but his got a poor physical makeup, and his brain isnt really in the right place either. Leaving Barca will help that..... but moving to London wont. There is a reason Barca are letting him go lol.

I'd imagine that AC Milan know what they are doing when it comes to decent players icon_confused.gif

I tend to laugh about Henry's season, he hasn't been played as a striker (his best position) all season yet still scored plenty of goals.

Also the whole Ronaldo thing is stupid too. Messi played 10 games less and was responsible for something like 40 goals (taking in assists). Ronaldo played 10 games more and was responsible for something like 47 goals yet Ronaldo has had a MUCH better season, its beyond me.

Originally posted by Flair:

I still find it funny that people think Ade is rubbish in real life, despite putting away 30 goal this season. Because I was always under the impression 30+ goal a season strikers were like, really in demand.

It's not so much that he isn't good, it's just that he isn't good enough and certainly isn't worth £35m. Also it wasn't too long ago that the likes of James Beattie were top scoring in the Premiership, perhaps a consistent run of scoring that amount of goals every season would prove that he isn't just a flash in the pan.

True, but the general consensus (with Barca and Spanish fans) is that he had a bad season, whether he scored the goals or not. It's much the same thing as Frank Lampard scored well this season, but was supposedly off form for most of it.

but moving to London wont. There is a reason Barca are letting him go lol.

Because Krkic, Iniesta and Messi are all better, not being as good as those players isn't necessarily a mark of a bad player.

As for AC Milan knowing a decent player; Roque Junior begs to differ icon_razz.gif

I'll take the example of Alberto Gilardino,

back to back 23 league goal seasons with Parma

becomes the hottest property in Italian football

signed by AC Milan in summer of 05 for 24 mill euros.

scores 17 league goals but scoreless in UCL

offered an extension in oct 06 to take him to 07/08 season

scores 12 goals in league and 1 in UCL in 06/07

assumes captaincy of italy vs. south africa in oct 08 after de rossi goes off icon_eek.gif

9 goal 07/08 season

now this is the clincher: sold for roughly 14.5 mill euros to fiorentina!

no WAY he can possibly get sold for that amount in the game (taking inflated game economy into account)

here is what he has contributed to milan: 44 goals in 132 appearances and a loss of 10 million euro!

talk about lack of business sense.

this is just my club, you guys got other examples?

IMVHO - thats a good return of goals. 1 goal ever 3 games for a team thats not renowned for pasting teams, but more nicking the wins. AC Milan are a very defensive team (along with the rest of Italian teams), and Gilardinho often played wide of a front 3, or just wide in a 4-4-2 when Milan changed tactics. Also take into account that he didn't start every game, and in the games he did start he didn't always play 90 minutes, I'd say 14.5 Million was a good piece of business by both clubs.

As was said, the 10,000,000 Euro loss could have been recouped many ways. Shirt sales from Gilardino over the years, no more bonuses to pay him, no more wages for the remainder of his contract, and from what I understand, AC Milan got a fair old chunk of the money upfront.

• 2 years later...

haha massive bump, but some of these posts are hilarious. People questioning why players would go to wolfsburg, and now they've won a bundesliga title and welshace dismissing the argument that dos santos isn't as good as people say, turns out he wasn't one of the brightest talents after all.

haha massive bump, but some of these posts are hilarious. People questioning why players would go to wolfsburg, and now they've won a bundesliga title and welshace dismissing the argument that dos santos isn't as good as people say, turns out he wasn't one of the brightest talents after all.

Yeah, I guess it's really hard to predict what will happen. :D

StevoRobbo will fancy this guy for searching before posting a new thread. :D

except pedrobrazil said that his FIFA agent friend said dos santos wasn't as good as people thought and then he got shot down but it turns out he was right. Ahhh, if only people could see their posts now with hindsight.

except pedrobrazil said that his FIFA agent friend said dos santos wasn't as good as people thought and then he got shot down but it turns out he was right. Ahhh, if only people could see their posts now with hindsight.

Well, he really wasn't right TBH. Few days ago Harry said Dos Santos is a great player. :D

Yes wasnt hard to do was it. If somebody can find a 2 year old thread which is relevant im sure somebody can find a thread that is only a few hours old :thup:

Archived