Application error on screen

I was just wondering if anyone else has the problem in vista where currently I am in my third or fourth season with FM08 managing England and Nottingham Forest, and suddenly the game crashes and brings up a message stating:

''A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in.../FootballManager2008/crash dumps''

I am currently using the original database that came with the game and not any updated patches. Can someone please tell me why it is happening?

Thank you if you can help.

If you haven't already patch the game to 8.0.2.

Test your hardware for errors in case that is the cause (memory, hard drives).

Turn off antivirus when playing FM on the off chance that has something to do with it. Alternatively add the various temp paths for FM to the exception list for your antivirus scanning.

As Fire Bracelet said go to the Bugs forum, read the sticky about uploading a game to the ftp and post a thread. Someone on the testing team will test your game to see if it is something FM specific.

Is it crashing at a specific date repeatedly? If so try holidaying past that date.

The same thing has happened to me lately, I haven't even finished the first season with Newcastle United, and now I can't, because of this sodding problem.

I have vista on my pc as well, but something like this happened to me when I had a save on Total Club Manager 2005 with Windows XP.

My brother had a problem where he couldn't get to his inbox without the game randomly closing, but he just went on holiday and it was fine, but on my game I can't go to the first team and going on holiday won't work.

I really like this game but balancing that against increasing frustration is becoming difficult.

Archived