More Personality Stats

I know the game is jam packed full of figures already, but I'd like to see more information with regards to the players personality and how they react to different situations. Not just for extra immersion (because most managers tend to know their players pretty well), but also to help with the randomness of features such as team talks, disciplining, resting for matches and praising.

At the moment I tend to use the notes function to remember if a player reacts better to a sharp dressing down, or words of encouragement. But there is no reason why this can't be already in the game rather than have to be down to my real life observations (after all, I don't have to watch a player to see how good they are at heading a ball)

At the moment the only indication you have on a players personality or professionality is one line of text on their personal screen, and as useful as "Fairly-Professional" is (!), a bit more information wouldn't go amiss.

I would prefer a stats approach to this, but really anything more in-depth would be welcomed as trying to build a mentally strong team that can deal with pressure is vitally important in the modern game.

Some of the stats already exist as hidden attributes, but some of them I don't feel need to be so hidden. If a set of number would be too unrealistic to have, then maybe just a simple good, average or poor comment.

Example stats would be something like:

- Coping with big matches

- Mental Strength/Willpower (linked to determination?)

- Dealing with pressure

- Coping with squad rotation

- Professionalism

- Ambition

The idea is a heavy defeat is less likely to knock your side back because they can deal with it better than perhaps a less mature side. And to better be able to put together a squad of similarly minded players. Even better would be if those with really high stats in these areas (and perhaps influence) would have a wider effect on the team, lifting them in times of trouble and so on.

Again I feel this is a very important part of the modern game at all levels and should be represented in more depth in the game.

I think it could be a great addition to the game, however i'd be concerned how much it would affect the players overall ability. Plenty of players struggle in the big games, but can have the odd flash of inspiration, so stats like these and the influence they have would have to fluxuate.

• 1 month later...
I'm afraid it would all get too easy if we got it spelled out in black and white. Learning to know your players and finding out how they react to different treatment is somehow part of the game to me.

Surely that's like saying you don't want to know what a heading stat is, you just want to watch the matches and figure it out yourself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Personality_Factors

I'm also of the opinion that things like bravery and influence are personality factors rather than mental attributes, but that's just me.

Influence and leadership should also be split if this is so, since you can have influential non-leaders (Cantona) just as you can have good leaders that don't try and impose themselves onto a team (Maldini, for example).

Surely that's like saying you don't want to know what a heading stat is, you just want to watch the matches and figure it out yourself?

No I just like the idea of some stats actually being hidden or we could more or less get rid of scouts and coachreports. Maybe you could get some sort of hints after a player has been at the club for a certain period of time. What I really mean is that if you start showing off the hidden stats a player has it will be too easy to sign new players and leave too little to chance for my liking. I find it abit too easy to sign good players as it is.

Not saying it is a bad idea but I think there is need to consider what it does to overall gameplay as human managers already seem to have a huge advantage over computer managers when it comes to building up their team to worldbeaters.

Archived