How much have you lost out on a player?

I bought Huntelaar for £32m. He didn't score in the league in his first season I think, in his second season he was still missing one-on-ones but was scoring like 10 goals in 6 matches in the UEFA Cup before I finally sold him for something around £10m.

Proof that perfect attributes don't make a perfect player. For a human team anyway. >_>

I bought Huntelaar for £32m. He didn't score in the league in his first season I think, in his second season he was still missing one-on-ones but was scoring like 10 goals in 6 matches in the UEFA Cup before I finally sold him for something around £10m.

Proof that perfect attributes don't make a perfect player. For a human team anyway. >_>

I think it all went wrong from the start when you bought him for 32m :eek:

I think it all went wrong from the start when you bought him for 32m :eek:

He had every attribute at above 15, his goalscoring history was very good and the scout also said on top of that that his personality fit well with my squad. AND he was about 27/28.

This is so annoying! Spending so much money on one player who you believe will change your team and you'd be better of buying Robbie Fowler.

I bought Mario Gomez for £26m!!!!

I'm planning on selling him for £12m.

£14m down the drain ahhhhhhhhhh!

Well not exactly what you were after but with Ternana (Serie B) in 2009/10 I signed a young winger called Marjan Popovic from Zeta on a Free. He performed brilliantly for a season and a half before moving to Genoa in Jan 2011 for £7.5m. I was not allowed to replaced him and was sacked at the end of the season with one game left to go. Oh, and he was sold to AC Milan exactly a year later for £33m. That's not it though. Again he stayed just a year making only two SUB appearances before moving in Jan 2013 to Paris Saint-Germain for £27m where he has returned to form. If the past is anything to go by he should be leaving by the time I get through this month tonight (Jan 2014).

So yeah, not only did I lose my key player for a paltry sum, of which I saw nothing, leading to my sacking, I watched him change hands rapidly for a combined total of £60m while I returned to lower league management with Monza!

Well not exactly what you were after but with Ternana (Serie B) in 2009/10 I signed a young winger called Marjan Popovic from Zeta on a Free. He performed brilliantly for a season and a half before moving to Genoa in Jan 2011 for £7.5m. I was not allowed to replaced him and was sacked at the end of the season with one game left to go. Oh, and he was sold to AC Milan exactly a year later for £33m. That's not it though. Again he stayed just a year making only two SUB appearances before moving in Jan 2013 to Paris Saint-Germain for £27m where he has returned to form. If the past is anything to go by he should be leaving by the time I get through this month tonight (Jan 2014).

So yeah, not only did I lose my key player for a paltry sum, of which I saw nothing, leading to my sacking, I watched him change hands rapidly for a combined total of £60m while I returned to lower league management with Monza!

Are you a favoured personal of his? Considering you were one of the reasons for getting him that far?

I bought Balotelli to Barca for £12m - but 6 months later he comes to me saying he 'dislikes Bojan'.

I politely informed him that nobody dislikes my free-scoring little Spanish gem, and deal with it. After about 5 performances of 5.5 or less I decided to sell him for a cut-price £5m. Miserable sod.

Robinho does a lot more for the team on FM09 then anyone sees, although he doesn't seem to get many goals or assists he's always been an asset to the clubs that I've seen him play for.

The most I've lost on a player is £5k after buying one striker too many and him never playing for me, after 2 seasons of being on loan to my feeder club he got fed up and requested a move away so sold him for a loss.

I was mortified.

Are you a favoured personal of his? Considering you were one of the reasons for getting him that far?
Funnily enough I'm not but Ternana are one of his favoured clubs despite him buggering off ASAP. Looking back with the team I had I should have easily finished 1st instead of 4th in his first season so it's no wonder really.

and i have messi in my squad who on his debut got injured for 5 months in my first season. now in my second season he has played 5 gams, scored 9 goals and is injured for 11 months. both were against man city......who have now put in a 18 million pound offer. cheeky bastards.

Not if you are able to spot them before they make it on the big stage, they don't. It is entirely possible to be a top-performing side without ever spending big money.

If you're an ageing side like AC Milan, you don't have time to buy youngsters and wait for them to develop, you need players who can go right into the side. And thus you need players who are already good, since you're challenging for domestic and European honours. So I suppose you still have to spend quite a bit?

Not if you are able to spot them before they make it on the big stage, they don't. It is entirely possible to be a top-performing side without ever spending big money.

But it's much easier to buy already great talent than risk depending entirely on developing players that might not turn out so great. Sometimes you need a space to fill or that world class player who'll improve the whole team.

We missing the point of the thread a little? It's about selling players at a loss. Haven't had to do so yet in 9.2 (LLM, little money to spend, mostly frees) but in 9.1 I did make a loss (I suppose you could call it that) on Maynor Figueroa at Wigan. His loan expired, I brought him back in on loan for a £300k loan fee — and he only played two more games that year. I figured he was useless for me and let him return to Honduras.

in FM07 I bought a young Finn Lauri D. Valle with half million from his Local team when he was 17. I sold him back with 5 million to Arsenal assuming he hit his peak and will not be any better when he was 19. The kid keep improving and I bought him back at 22 with 14 million because I could not leave with my mistake, and his replacement was not delivering. when I gave up that career he was something like 26 and worth about 10 million still and playing good. but eventually I lost almost 10 million and 2.5 years of his playing time for my bs strategy.

btw currency is € in my games.

Archived