FM Database. How to get the best of it?

Ok so i'm abit of a noob to FM, played it sparingly in the past but i'm really getting into it now, class game.

Now one of my main joys is scouting myself and finding young gems, really searching deep and testing myself.

I play currently with the large database, 1 active league and no additional nations selected but i want more, and i want you guys to help me and give me some advice on how to do so. I've read about the huge database, what are your opinions on that?

Also what difference does the 'load all players from' option make as i have never used it before? Finally if i play with more than one active league, will i have more players from that league or will it just mean i can take jobs in that league within the future.

Overall i just want help to get more players and the best out of the database so i can really put my scouting to the test.

Come on guys, 60 odd views and no replies?!

I think i'm slowly getting the idea, if i just want to manage in England i just choose that league and then load all players from the larger nations i.e. Brazil, Argentia, Italy, Holland, Spain, Portugal, France and Germany?

I think you are getting the idea but remember not to load to many leagues or the game may become slow later on in your career (i presume you play many seasons on the same save)

Regens should come from many different nations (as nationality) from teams from many different leagues. Generally the better regens with the more potential come from clubs with better youth facilities, so the better playesr are likly to be found in the top division of the top leagues. If your lucky you may find some in the lower leagues but it becomes a lot harder and less likely.

Hope this helps :)

frankly - i think most people havent replied because they dont know what you are asking.

If you want to get the best regens - do nothing, regens of all qualities will appear no matter how many leagues you have and how many players you add.

and adding loads of lower leagues wont do anything to encourage good regens in them, it will just slow your game down.

Depends mostly on what your computer can handle really. It's best to have all the major nations (their top divisions at least) running and playable. It's a more balanced option than the 'load all players' one which gives too much of an advantage to selected nations in player quantity and quality over a longer period of time. If you don't want the extra fixture processing though you can do a research on .ddt files.

Thanks for the replies and sorry if my wording was off!?

But basically what it is, i only want to manage in England in a game i'm about to start but i wont a large database so i can scout and find some gems, when i've played before i've searched for players people have said they've found and they havent existed in my game, but i have only ever used the one league, a large database and no additional nations loaded!

So what i want is more players to search from, what would be the best way to do this. Huge database, or load additional players from select nations? With just the English league chosen as playable.

Active leagues means the computer processes all the games and results, which takes up a lot of memory and slows the game down. A larger database and 1 active league is more efficient.

The leagues you load up means all the players from that league are loaded, but with the problem I mentioned.

So, alternatively you can load just England and add 'load all players' from other countries of your choice. For example, you might want all the players from Brazil and Spain, but not from Ethiopia which you'd get from a huge database.

The problem with 'load all players from country X' is that with the greater proportion of players and regens, in time those countries will come to dominate in your savegame. So, if you have a small database and load up all the UK countries, in time Scotland and Wales will become better than Italy and Argentina, for instance.

Therefore, large/huge database keeps the game balanced (and the players omitted from a smaller database are generally the rubbish ones - the 'cream' will mostly be in any that you load); 'load all players' will create an imbalance.

There's the facts - the choice is yours!

Archived