I am actually embarrased for this lot

Today I tried to activate my legally purchased game on another machine (which requires a USB wireless dongle to connect to the internet).

Very long story short, I managed to activate it through the net after fighting with the USB dongle for days, but tried the phone method outlined here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65579 and it still doesn't work.

How long has it been since this game was released and there are still people like myself not able to play?

I could honestly have downloaded the game quicker (illegally) and played it far sooner that I am able to trying to activate by phone.

If someone at SEGA (their problems, not SI's) has not lost their job over this absolute shambles of a partnership I will be flabbergasted.

PS In that thread linked to above there are umpteen people that had the same issue as me (activate correctly, but it still doesn't register as such when you start the game) and there is no official reply.

In fairness they have said "PM us", but how is that going to affect the number of people that stumble onto the website that have bought that game and like myself until recently, couldn't get the internet on the computer they want to install the game on?

Agreed Mike, wishing someone to lose their job, just because they're having a few teething problems setting up their game, is harsh and plain pig ignorant.

Fed up of reading idiotic comments like the one written by the op of this article. Put things into perspective please! By all means phone up and get help with setting it all up etc, but don't say you wish ppl would lose their jobs, its a stupid and spiteful thing to say.

Either leave sensible comments or bugger off

Have to agree with the 2 other guys...season of good will indeed,you cant play your 50 euro game so someone should lose there bread and butter?

I do feel sorry for the guys that cant play the game and hope Sega gets this sorted for them but not for the people asking for them to lose there jobs,pretty shameful!

I'm not pretending that there haven't been problems. I just draw the line at wishing that level of ill on individuals because of them. All I hope is that SI are able to make sure the problems don't repeat themselves next year, while causing as little pain as possible to individuals who work there.

You're right, losing their jobs might be a bit harsh but what really annoys me is there are still countless people having problems and as far as i can see there is one person from si and no one from sega on here.

its the christmas holidays - are you really surprised???

Some people just go ridiculously over the top with their complaints about this game. I sometimes think they put more effort into complaining than they do trying to solve a problem.

8 times out of 10 it is likely that the complainer is doing something wrong but refuses to acknowledge that.

Calling for someone to be sacked over a game is about as uncalled for as anything. I bet the OP has never gotten anything a little wrong in the past...he's most undoubtedly perfect.

Yeah...

I dont know how you can say countless people still having problems, when the OP referes to post from launch weekend, yes there have been problems and there are still some people who have issues and I feel for them. But with the greatest respect its nearly six one the sunday after christmas you cant really expect the boards to full of sega/si staff. I say fair play to any that are cause the chances are they are working from home over christmas and probably not getting paid for it.

I do technical support for a large company and im not expected to be in work this weekend and I dont know many people who are. Im sure the people who are having problems will get dealt with tomorrow morning once Sega's no doubt skeleton staff come into work after there xmas break

I dont know how you can say countless people still having problems, when the OP referes to post from launch weekend, yes there have been problems and there are still some people who have issues and I feel for them. But with the greatest respect its nearly six one the sunday after christmas you cant really expect the boards to full of sega/si staff. I say fair play to any that are cause the chances are they are working from home over christmas and probably not getting paid for it.

I do technical support for a large company and im not expected to be in work this weekend and I dont know many people who are. Im sure the people who are having problems will get dealt with tomorrow morning once Sega's no doubt skeleton staff come into work after there xmas break

Well if that's the case fair enough. I look forward to tomorrow.

Matt (Sega) has been here so much he deserves to be paid for it really. But after the barrage of crap that was slung at them after the launch I can't say I blame them all for wanting a completely FM-free Christmas

Agreed Mike, wishing someone to lose their job, just because they're having a few teething problems setting up their game, is harsh and plain pig ignorant.

Fed up of reading idiotic comments like the one written by the op of this article. Put things into perspective please! By all means phone up and get help with setting it all up etc, but don't say you wish ppl would lose their jobs, its a stupid and spiteful thing to say.

Either leave sensible comments or bugger off

I work in the programming industry - for a very, very large multi-national bank.

If I make so many mistakes which are essentially discovered by end users because of a lot of non-testing which have led to such a large percentage of the target audience, I would lose my job hands down.

Think of the number of people that will not buy an SI game from now on because of this fiasco - the percentage of lost sales = far less money for the company in times when people are looking to tighten purse strings. If this is caused by negligence - and it is negligence - on one persons part they deserve to lose their job.

I am sick and tired of people in this country doing things for nothing - the people at SEGA are very well paid for what they do, but if they can't provide the service that they are meant to then something has to give.

Computer game, stock exchange, doctors - if you mess up because you don't do your job as you are supposed to then you should go.

There are plenty of other people out there looking for high paid jobs right now that would bite the leg off you for a change at a 'secure' company like SEGA. People just don't care any more and they should be made accountable.

Matt (Sega) has been here so much he deserves to be paid for it really. But after the barrage of crap that was slung at them after the launch I can't say I blame them all for wanting a completely FM-free Christmas

That's true he did try to help me yesterday.

I do understand what you are saying. Why should you even have to register a game you bought with your own money? The telephone/online, registration system has not done anything to combat piracy. This game was cracked soon after it was released. Keeping existing gamers happy by not using complicated registration systems and steam, would be far more effective in reducing piracy.

I work in the programming industry - for a very, very large multi-national bank.

If I make so many mistakes which are essentially discovered by end users because of a lot of non-testing which have led to such a large percentage of the target audience, I would lose my job hands down.

Think of the number of people that will not buy an SI game from now on because of this fiasco - the percentage of lost sales = far less money for the company in times when people are looking to tighten purse strings. If this is caused by negligence - and it is negligence - on one persons part they deserve to lose their job.

I am sick and tired of people in this country doing things for nothing - the people at SEGA are very well paid for what they do, but if they can't provide the service that they are meant to then something has to give.

Computer game, stock exchange, doctors - if you mess up because you don't do your job as you are supposed to then you should go.

There are plenty of other people out there looking for high paid jobs right now that would bite the leg off you for a change at a 'secure' company like SEGA. People just don't care any more and they should be made accountable.

Don't spout that pile of steamin elephant poop at me son. It doesn't make it right, wishing for some poor sod to get the sack especially at this time. I'm sure the companies would have looked at the mess that occurred with the launch of this year's FM09 game and will work to their utmost to ensure it doesn't happen again. What's done is done.

Ok well that rules out a .net 2 repair (as its embedded with Vista). Is this all when you try and activate different ways. And you cant deactivate seats cause the link is broken?

The only way I have tried to activate is online via uniloc, i did say i might give phone a try but it dosen't give me that option when i run fm. I would prefer to stay away from steam. Yes, I tried to deactivate but got the 'unable to look up devices' or something along those lines.

And your saying you have never released a piece of software or an update which despite extensive testing your end users have still had problems with. Its also very very difficult for you to say that a large percentage of end users have been let down. If you install the game and it activates your not going to sign up to these forums and post that its all worked really are you?

To say its negligence on the part of one person is a very dangerours statement to make. We have no idea what testing the activiation process went through and really shouldnt be casting aspersions on the testers or there processes.

The only way I have tried to activate is online via uniloc, i did say i might give phone a try but it dosen't give me that option when i run fm. I would prefer to stay away from steam. Yes, I tried to deactivate but got the 'unable to look up devices' or something along those lines.

Sorry Im afraid Im out of ideas then. Im a support analyst rather than an anti hacking expert. Its going to be a case of waiting for sega. Have you raised an online support ticket with them?

Sorry Im afraid Im out of ideas then. Im a support analyst rather than an anti hacking expert. Its going to be a case of waiting for sega. Have you raised an online support ticket with them?

Yeah, I done that earlier today as I only found out about them today, hopefully they can do something within the next few days. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

the original problems with the online activation were due to a dos attack on the servers, i got my copy through steam an hour after the launch, downloaded at 1meg/s installed perfectly and activated perfectly, updates have worked and ive never had any problems

Archived