Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Welcome to Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge™. It consists of the following...

The Aim

To take a small club who where previously unplayable in the game from the lower leagues to their Domestic League Title and Champions League crown (doesn't have to be in the same season). I realize it's not an easy challenge, but should be a lot of fun trying.

The Set-up

Leagues you can't use: England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Scotland and Spain.

League reputations for eligible nations in this challenge:

Austria 12

Belarus 9

Belgium 13

Bulgaria 11

Croatia 11

Czech Republic 11

Denmark 12

Finland 8

Greece 14

Hungary 10

Iceland 5

Ireland 10

Israel 12

N. Ireland 6

Norway 11

Poland 11

Romania 12

Russia 13

Serbia 11

Slovakia 10

Slovenia 10

Sweden 10

Switzerland 11

Turkey 14

Ukraine 11

Wales. 7

The nations you are allowed to manage in have been selected using the in game reputations for that Nations top division, the highest eligible Nation in this challenge must have a reputation of 14 or lower. Apart from Scotland who don't currently have a season by season promotion to and relegation from the Scottish Third Division.

Getting started

Load a game with all the available divisions within the nation you selected only (only one nation is allowed).

A large database should be ticked (although you are free to choose a medium or small database option if you wish).

Attribute masking should be enabled.

No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed Manager, the details are not important at all.

Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated (each country will be different), If you usually play in that country you should know the relevant dates). An example: Norway's is: 20th January. (Hint - saving the day before on 19th January for Norway, should give you a better choice of teams by being able to quit and reloading the game). This shouldn't take that long either.

League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 5th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 29th April.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

*Turkey - 19th June. (there seems to be a squad registration issue in Turkey - search bug forum for more details)

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Then retire your original manager profile.

Add a new manager, the options/details are up to you but 'past experience' must be set as 'Sunday League Footballer, or if that reputation isn't available then you must then select 'Automatic'.

. I understand that choosing your nationality may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this, I would expect people to use their own nationalities/second nationalities.

Take over one of the newly promoted clubs to the lowest playable division within your selected nation. If you are not sure about which clubs have been promoted simply check last seasons league table and the new clubs will obviously be the clubs not in it. To make completely sure that the club is eligible, check the club's history of league positions, it should be blank.

It is completely up to you which club you choose, although please appreciate that some clubs may be easier to manage than others (example. Some clubs will have a full squad of players and staff, while others won't. Also some will have higher reputations than others making it easier to sign players ect). So chose wisely. The nation you've chosen to manage in will affect difficulty too.

It is now up to you to manage your chosen club to their domestic title and to win the UEFA Champions League crown.

You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that meets the original challenge criteria (check the club's league history), or just quit your current game and start over.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the date you take control at your new club. It should look like This.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

There is no winner or points system here, but I will try and keep an updated list of all people taking part in the challenge. Please do not update this list yourselves, I will take care of it and update it at least once a week.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Remember it's not a competition against other users, as long as your are enjoying the challenge that's the main thing.

Best of luck! icon14.gif

Let the challenge commence! icon_cool.gif

A big thank you as always to dafuge. icon14.gif

Thanks also to Jimbokav1971 and cookie15, for their support and encouragement in taking this challenge to the next level. icon14.gif

All you guys who took part in last seasons challenge, who have made it what it is today.

*This challenge is sponsored by the great Patrik Burda (an FM legend!)*

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work Gundo icon14.gif

I'll be in here once my San Marino game gets to the point of no return, and I'm sure I'll give SLovenia a go again.

Although sadly, my team from 07, Krka, got promoted last season, so I shan't be able to play as them.

Originally posted by spotg:Although sadly, my team from 07, Krka, got promoted last season, so I shan't be able to play as them.

Likewise... no return to Stavanger IF for me either as they where promoted irl.

Originally posted by Liam =D:

Gundo, why can't you be the manager of a Romanian club?

They aren't exactly a powerhouse are they?

I'd deliberated on what nations you couldn't use and after much time mulling it over I decided I wanted to keep this challenge to the smallest Official nations. I did through it open for debate a couple of times in the 07 thread.

Coefficients table.

With FM08 I finally dont feel the need for FM Genie Scout any more and so I have decided I will start this whole LLM thing and take on this challenge. However which country would be the easiest? Which of the leagues would have the highest reputation and most TV/prize money? I am thinking Belgium maybe?

Originally posted by DS:

With FM08 I finally dont feel the need for FM Genie Scout any more and so I have decided I will start this whole LLM thing and take on this challenge. However which country would be the easiest? Which of the leagues would have the highest reputation and most TV/prize money? I am thinking Belgium maybe?

Turkey, Ukraine and Belgium. They're probably the the highest reputation nations in their this year.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

I'll try and post a table snapshot of each leagues reputation some time over the weekend. icon14.gif

Turkey, Ukraine and Belgium. They're probably the the highest reputation nations in their this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by dafuge:

Super 'Most Popular Player 2007' Kyle?

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Don't wind him up dafuge.

You know how tetchy he dets when he realises that Burda will forever live in the shadow of the legend that is Super Kyle.

Where is cookie to help add weight to the Burda corner?

We'll let the feet of both do the talking in FM08 and see who comes out on top... icon_cool.gif

Well in my current 07 game, still waiting for 08 down in little old NZ. Super Kyle has been the top goal scorer of the season with 22 and is leading his Barrow team to be the top overall team goal scorers as well, I am not signing him as I can't afford and I have a good enough Target man myself. I am going to win the league with Gateshead and even though they will beat me on goals by about 4 or 5 they are going to come 6-10th.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

In FM07 it was the day before the English date.

17th June icon_confused.gif?

It was a lot earlier than that because of the playoffs, I think it was either the end of April or May. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The relegation play-off draw is 28th of April. I would advise saving before, since most of the time both the second division teams win.

Well, since I had so much fun with N.Ireland last time, I decided to have another go!

This time my club became Newbuildings.

Here's my profile.

I start with one(1!) player in my squad! woohoo! icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by iseemonsters:

Gundo, would you mind if I use your challenge/guidelines as the basis for another challenge I'm working on. I've already checked with Dafuge, but my challenge probably owes almost as much to yours as to his, so I wanted to check with you too... icon14.gif

As long as it's not too similar icon_razz.gif

I holidayed through a season in Belgium..took over an hour cause my PC is slow. I got a really good team. The only team that was already semi-profesional from all the new teams and also they were predicted to finish 4th. However I got some bad bug so I will have to start again...but I cbf holidaying for an hour again. I will probably start this again in a few days.

League reputations for eligible nations in this challenge:

Austria 12

Belarus 9

Belgium 13

Bulgaria 11

Croatia 11

Czech Republic 11

Denmark 12

Finland 8

Greece 14

Hungary 10

Iceland 5

Ireland 10

Israel 12

N. Ireland 6

Norway 11

Poland 11

Serbia 11

Slovakia 10

Slovenia 10

Sweden 10

Switzerland 11

Turkey 14

Ukraine 11

Wales. 7

Kalmar AIK FK - First Season (2008)

Just finished my first season with AIK Kalmar (Sweden) !

It didn't take long because they're just 22 games in the season.

The results :

League table : champs !!

Second Division Player Stats

My squad

Stats

My best player : Robert Karlssont

My best striker : Boubacar Baldé

Transfers

Finances (ouch !)

Finishing first, we've won promotion to the Swedish Fist Division (3rd level in Sweden).

AIK Kalmar was already a strong team for the 4th level of swedish football. The stadium capacity is 9795 !!

The 20k€ wage budget allowed me to buy above average players for this level.

My two defeats took place :

- during the fan day, at home, against Laholm (who finished fifth)...

- at home again, 2 games before the end, in a capital game vs Limhamn. This game could have make us champs. We lost so that we had to battle until the last match.

I was surprised we didn't play any swedish cup.

Now, I'm preparing for the next step : the First Division.

The board long term expectations are to establish the team in the Fist Division Elite (2nd level in Sweden) in 5 years. I hope I'll be in the Premier Divison by this time !!!

Oh well, I might as well post here, since this challenge and my LLM game overlap.

Went to Iceland, holidayed for a year... I had a really enjoyable FM07 career with Magni, so when they came up from the lower divisions there could be no other choice.

Manager profile - strangely enough, choosing Sunday League footballer as my past experience gave me a national reputation at the start. I created another manager and set past experience to automatic and got the same - guess every manager in Iceland is a national celebrity.

Also the knowledge is really dodgy, but it seems to be a quirk of this year's edition.

The only players at the club are promoted youths with really bad hair, there is no staff whatsoever and, needless to say, no transfer money. Strangely enough, the club has a youth academy.

Archived