Glen Johnson for £38m and a £5m player!

This proves the transfer system is not working properly. This is season 1, he is playing Ok and I wanted and Englishman to play at right back as I move Richards to centre back. Given that they only wanted a reported £20m for Diarra IRL what is the story here?

glenjohnsonhowmuchef2.th.jpg

D.

yeah, i'd love to think of a reason but that is flawed. i think SI just made all the clubs greedy when negotiating with man city just so it's not a complete walk in the park. just cross your fingers real madrid don't want him as well :D

Totally patched up. 9.0.2. This is my first new game after the patch. Also other transfers were less excessive - I got Ashley Young for £20m from Villa after they had asked for £26m but Young asked for a transfer so they lowered their price. I also got Martins from Newcastle for a very reasonable £12.75m and Lescott from Everton for £13m so I was paying good money for decent players but £43m for Johnson. Mehtinks there is a bug at play here.

D.

Yeah, if you're patched up you should take it as a sign they're not selling.

my problem with this feature is that when they reply, it's always the same process. i'd like it if clubs came back with either:

1) "there is no way we are selling for less than x". if you bid slightly more than last time, you get the same message, as a "non-negotiable" offer.

2) bid made, club comes back with ridiculous deal, it gets negotiated until they accept.

3) "no amount of money will be accepted".

at the moment only example 2 happens, but 1 and 3 happen in real life as well. so the much-improved (imo) transfer system still needs a bit of work

No one's saying it doesn't need more work, but I think it's definitely been improved and we should at least appreciate that. :)

i agree, that's why i said much-improved transfer system. it is clearly vastly better than fm08, but the scenarios i have mentioned are easy to implement and quite obvious, so i just think that it could (and maybe should) have been in fm09 rather than waiting for it to be in fm10

Seems like they really want to keep him! In truth it's just a sign that they don't have any intention to sell, and if that's what it takes, either don't make it or don't complain about it.

I shall complain about whatever I want to complain about thank you very much. I understand the concept of clubs wanting good money for players they dont want to sell but really, eights time his stated value? In no universe would Portsmouth expect that for any of their players. I got Diarra from them for £13.75m - how is Glen Johnson worth 3 times as much as him?

IRL the 'dont want to sell price' is far more realistic - see Gareth Barry at Aston Villa as a proper example.

Thanks for your input though.

D.

Yeah, if you're patched up you should take it as a sign they're not selling.

I agree to a point, but I still think an offer of, say, £20m would easily convince Pompey to sell GJ IRL, in fact I think you could probably offer considerably less, £10-12m and get him without too much problem.

Seems like they really want to keep him! In truth it's just a sign that they don't have any intention to sell, and if that's what it takes, either don't make it or don't complain about it.

You're selling Gelson Fernandez for Glen Johnson?

I agree to a point, but I still think an offer of, say, £20m would easily convince Pompey to sell GJ IRL, in fact I think you could probably offer considerably less, £10-12m and get him without too much problem.

Thats exactly my point really - as Man City (a club with lots of money) I expect clubs like Popey to squeeze the most amount of money out of me for any players I want to buy. What is frankly stupid is asking for over £40m. It makes no sense.

D.

Thats exactly my point really - as Man City (a club with lots of money) I expect clubs like Popey to squeeze the most amount of money out of me for any players I want to buy. What is frankly stupid is asking for over £40m. It makes no sense.

D.

Well what they're saying really is 'we really don't want to sell this player (especially if his contract has a long time to run) but if you want to throw stupid money at us and pay us 3-4 times what he's worth which would allow us to sign a replacement who would be about as good plus give us a tidy profit, then this is what it will take. Otherwise, sod off.' Which is perfectly understandable. What you've got to ask yourself is are you happy paying well over the odds for this player, or not. God it must be boring being Man Citeh on FM09...

Archived