Physical attributes in fm 2009

Just wondering, in fm 2007, it seemed that the most important player's attributes were the physical ones. A defender or a target man with high jumping-strength could dominate the game, even if he had a dork's mental stats. The same was for high pace-accelaration strikers or wingers,they could make a huge difference in a teams performance, even with descent ,at most, technical attrs.

Didn't play fm2008 at all, but ordered fm2009 and hopefully will start playing next week, so are physicall stats still so important or we must have more balanced players?

Tried the demo, but, tbh,still don't have a clue, so...

I don't know about the majority public opinion but to me, in FM 07, physical stats just did what they suggest. A striker with 20 in pace and acceleration could beat my defenders sometimes (though sometimes not, I'm sure other attributes come into it) but his finishing and composure weren't that great so he wouldn't get goals.

From my experience so far, mental stats are of VITAL importance. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that for certain positions mental stats are more important than physical ones.

Although speed is always a bonus, I would say, in my experience, every role minus the striker role can be played with 5-10 in acc. and pace. However better pace does show a bigger improvement, but that's just logic.

I think that for each incarnation of FM the balance has been tweaked away from over-emphasis on physical attributes. So, they were way too dominant in FM07, less so in 08 and less again in 09. Mental attributes have correspondently become more important.

Thus, deadly sprinters like Walcott or Agbonlahor are still good, but not guaranteed to get you loads of goals and assists.

Much better IMHO.

fm09 shows v good relative performance on the field with varying attributes.

first touch seems a golden stat this time around, meaning good old del piero has a role even at age 37 in my juventus save. this game is a winner for me thus far.

wow!

you can use del piero up to 37 years? in my game at the second season, is speed rate fell to 9!

I am very angry about this, Del Piero will play at high levels for at least another 3 seasons and still 1 from backup! This in reality ....

wow!

you can use del piero up to 37 years? in my game at the second season, is speed rate fell to 9!

I am very angry about this, Del Piero will play at high levels for at least another 3 seasons and still 1 from backup! This in reality ....

You used a time machine?

I don't recall Del Piero ever being particularly quick, even at his peak.

are okay,

but if after the first year, its speed drops to 9, is like saying that you can not deploy in the field.

not ever receive the ball, is never a dribling, and the worst defenders seems Franco Baresi before him.

But this is not real ...

Psyhical stats are important but can be compensated by exceptional mental/tehnical stats, I just signed 33 year-old Ronaldinho, his balance is 15 and rest of his psyhicals are 7-9 but still he is very useful, he has good passing stats and great off the ball, he is always free when he gets the ball and sprays the ball really well.

Well, as you might know, SWP, apart from his Speed and Acceleration, isn't a very good player, on FM.

But I play him on the right wing nonetheless. His crossing is about 12, but because of his speed, he always gets himself enough time to make a good cross, despite a poor rating...

Physical attributes are important, obviously, but I don't think they're all too important. Micah Richards can be quite poor playing for me. I play Dunne as a Sweeper, and Richards as an attacking CB. But I've had to switch them around a few times, and he does great as a sweeper. So, despite his strength and speed, he can't attack very well, but his defending is excellent. I find it quite unrealistic, to be honest. Richards is a better attacking CB, then he is a defensive CB, IMO.

Archived