How often do YOU just miss out on promotion?

In my career game I have just finished my 12th season, 11 at Leigh, one at Leeds.

For the third time in 12 seasons I have finished just outside the playoff spots in 7th place in the Championship. Just one point away.

In my other seasons I have finished champion three times, playoffs (unsuccessfully) 3 times and safe midtable 3 times too.

Does anyone else find that their seasons end up as a "so near yet so far" experience, or is it just my run of luck?

I have suspicions that the game stage-manages your form to make you think you might achieve more than you deserve...

In my career game I have just finished my 12th season, 11 at Leigh, one at Leeds.

For the third time in 12 seasons I have finished just outside the playoff spots in 7th place in the Championship. Just one point away.

In my other seasons I have finished champion three times, playoffs (unsuccessfully) 3 times and safe midtable 3 times too.

Does anyone else find that their seasons end up as a "so near yet so far" experience, or is it just my run of luck?

I have suspicions that the game stage-manages your form to make you think you might achieve more than you deserve...

Happens to me a lot. I play all over the place - China, S. Africa, Belgium, Germany - makes no difference. Always a start new game if I don't get anywhere within 3 seasons.

Always manage the lowest & poorest clubs, but the same problem always prevents me getting anywhere i.e poor gates leading to troubled finances and good players won't come.

Yes, game is badly compromised by fixes. Constantly telling S.I.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. A. Holt:

Happens to me a lot. I play all over the place - China, S. Africa, Belgium, Germany - makes no difference. Always a start new game if I don't get anywhere within 3 seasons.

Always manage the lowest & poorest clubs, but the same problem always prevents me getting anywhere i.e poor gates leading to troubled finances and good players won't come.

Yes, game is badly compromised by fixes. Constantly telling S.I. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see paranoia is still alive and well on the forums. icon_wink.gif

The game isn't fixed. It's not biased against the user. It doesn't CHEAT.

Plenty of people have great careers starting at lower league, poor clubs. I took Leeds to successive promotions and, eventually, Uefa Cup glory, plus a run to the Champions League semis (again) but then the 802 patch came out and I started again, unemployed.

Have done okay with Harrogate (Blue Square North) and some lower league Spanish Club, so any claims that you can't be successful on FM are seriously wrong.

i missed out on the playoffs on the last day of my first season with newport county, 2nd season lost in playoff semi's on pens, 3rd season finished 2nd and won playoffs icon_smile.gif and i just finished 15th in BSP which i'm happy with seeing as media prediction was 22nd

so no, i don't think success is impossible, but i think it does take a lot of work

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J. A. Holt:

Yes, game is badly compromised by fixes. Constantly telling S.I. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a goon.

You manage the worst clubs, presumably with the lowest reputation, and then you're surprised when you can't buy any decent players?

Even clubs who overachieve IRL find it hard to buy substantially better players for their team straight away. Think Ipswich when they finished 6th in the Premiership and Reading last year.

And, here's a shock for you, small clubs don't have big attendances. Otherwise they wouldn't be small clubs; they'd be big clubs higher up the league.

And to the OP, sometimes this just happens. Whether it's your players losing their bottle towards the end of the season or whether you're just not making the right tactical decisions at the same time... Better luck next time, eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Always manage the lowest & poorest clubs, but the same problem always prevents me getting anywhere i.e poor gates leading to troubled finances and good players won't come. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the challenge, its great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have suspicions that the game stage-manages your form to make you think you might achieve more than you deserve... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly do you mean by this?

Nope. I usually manage a promotion which is good thing since the board confidence module keeps raising the demands. If i stayed in the same league for more than 4 years i would definitely get the sack. You seem to have a far more realistic board than i have. I guess Weston is a more ambitious club icon_smile.gif

Archived