[RANT] going back on my previous praise - 9.2.0 broke the game

[RANT]

Previously (before the release of 9.2.0) I loved this game. 9.1.0 ironed out most of the bugs that were annoying me and I started a new game with my team, Sunderland.

Played through the first season, did pretty well, finished 9th with my team being very consistent towards the end of the season.

Then I patched the game just before the 2nd season. Now after 8 pre season games and 18 games of the league NOTHING is working for my team. I have tried 4 different tactics that all worked on various savegames of mine and 2 new creations and no matter what I do my team is outplayed all over the pitch. I am predicted to finish 7th in the premiership but I am getting completely outplayed by teams predicted to be relegated. I mean, I just got beaten 3-0 at home by Hull who are predicted to finish 18th.

While 9.2.0 has got rid of some of the remaining bugs, it has completely screwed up the match engine and made it infuriatingly difficult.

Another thing that bugs me about the game is the fact that you launch a patch like this which ruins the game and the people who have installed through steam, a platform I love and use regularly, have no choice but have their game ruined because it automatically updates.

Please do everybody a favour and hire some damn testers so you can actually make patches work before inflicting them on the people that play your game. We have all paid for a game, we should atleast get a game that works.

[/RANT]

I dont see it this way at all,I finished my 1st Premiership season(QPR)with new patch and everything was about the same for me,the match engine was improved,e.g no longer do you know when you have a throw in your own half you will give the ball away,not so many wonder passes going on etc etc etc.

I havent changed my tactics at all,I have started a new season and was told I was in for a long hard relegation battle,now that maybe the case still as I have only played 8 games but I sit in 3rd place and have already beat Chelsea,which I was well chuffed with.

Maybe some people are having problems with there old tactics but not me.

Please do everybody a favour and hire some damn testers so you can actually make patches work before inflicting them on the people that play your game. We have all paid for a game, we should atleast get a game that works.

The patch was tested extensively prior to release. That's not to say it will be 100% bug free (no software can claim to be), but I can assure you that there is a stringent quality approval system in place.

well to me the game becomes better after the patch but then certain bug or rather flaws like missing 1 on 1 and too many woodwork deflected are making me ****

but then i certainly enjoyed the game still, it is certainley difficult to casual players and even seasoned players like me have abit of hard time doing the mirco tactic-ing...this game is not for the fainted heart or the casual, its only for the footies lover

peace~

Then I patched the game just before the 2nd season.

If you did this, then not all the patch changes will take effect until the close season update at the end of your second season. That's why SI always say that although patches are savegame compatable, they recommend starting a new game to get all the changes immediately.

If you didn't open the game via STEAM, you wouldn't have been forced to take the update.

Oh, and 9.2.0 has improved the game no end for me.

What the **** is the point in having it installed through steam if you can't launch it through steam?

If you did this, then not all the patch changes will take effect until the close season update at the end of your second season. That's why SI always say that although patches are savegame compatable, they recommend starting a new game to get all the changes immediately.

I tried it with a couple of new games with an equal lack of success with ANY tactic.

What the **** is the point in having it installed through steam if you can't launch it through steam

As far as I can see, the main point is to get automatic updates. But you just said you don't want the automatic update, so for you, there is no point. But anyway, you can still have it installed through STEAM and open it from its location on your computer instead of through STEAM.

Unfortunately the patch hasnt dont much good for me either, ive posted on quite a few forums now about the one on one situations with strikers. As the Moderator said, im going to wait till the end of my 3rd season for the full changes to take effect because i patched 1/4 way through my season. Wish me luck :)

Any chance of some details as to the changes that you've noticed?

Players stopping chasing balls they could easily get to.

Players receiving the ball then standing still, not even turning on the spot, waiting to be robbed.

Players refusing to make easy passes, players kept on holding onto the ball for ages then being tackled even if they had 2 or 3 players available for the pass.

Strikers hitting the woodwork far too often.

All my strikers suddenly being unable to score in 1 on 1 chances.

Players repeatedly making 40+ yard backpasses.

Players stopping chasing balls they could easily get to.

Players receiving the ball then standing still, not even turning on the spot, waiting to be robbed.

Players refusing to make easy passes, players kept on holding onto the ball for ages then being tackled even if they had 2 or 3 players available for the pass.

Strikers hitting the woodwork far too often.

All my strikers suddenly being unable to score in 1 on 1 chances.

Players repeatedly making 40+ yard backpasses.

If these are all things you have experienced since installing the patch, the best thing you could do is to report them in the bugs forum with examples in pkm files from your matches which show this.

Personally, I think there have been quite a lot of improvements to the ME with 9.2.0, as you can see here.

What specifically do you not like about the new ME?

I thought the fix to the GK assists was a massive step forward for 9.2.0, I'm not sure I could go back to watching those goals every time from big punts up the pitch.

it's certainly not been fixed in my game since I've installed 9.02, still happens too often for my liking, it's far too easy to beat a defence with a simple hoof over the top either from the gk, or from the back four.

it's certainly not been fixed in my game since I've installed 9.02, still happens too often for my liking, it's far too easy to beat a defence with a simple hoof over the top either from the gk, or from the back four.

Is the AI still doing it to you though?

The patch was tested extensively prior to release. That's not to say it will be 100% bug free (no software can claim to be), but I can assure you that there is a stringent quality approval system in place.

thats almost laughable with this years release in all honesty

• SI Staff

There seems to be a correlation between the level of managerial success in FM 9.2 and whether people are "happy" with the state of the game in FM 9.2.

Which is probably to be expected I guess.

There seems to be a correlation between the level of managerial success in FM 9.2 and whether people are "happy" with the state of the game in FM 9.2.

Which is probably to be expected I guess.

I agree with that. Not trying to be bad person , but it seems that game is "great" till someone loses match. Criticism in previous years was more constructive and less "success" based then now.

Not saying that 9.2 doesn't need further fixes , but it's far from awful.

At least 90% of all "9.2 patch makes the game worse" are just based on the results of the matches. It's obviously that tweaking the match engine will have some influence on existing tactics, so what you have to do is also tweaking your tactics. But it's also football, that something that did work the last months, could lead into depressing weeks - and nobody can answer why.

I'm actually doing better now with the 9.2 patch than with the previous versions, with similar quality players and identical tactics. As for players standing around, I'm at the opposite end- players (wide midfielders, in particular) are tearing up the pitch with ease. Two of my strikers have scored hat-tricks and together account for roughly 70% of my goals. I'm strictly using the 2d classic view, though. Could the different perspectives be causing odd player behavior?

I'd have to agree that there have been some decent improvements made in this recent patch but still can't help but notice some rather glaring flaws as well.

The GK assists have dropped off a fair bit but still occur from time to time. That said, it wasn't something which got to me much pre-patch anyway.

Players do seem to decelerate at odd times whilst chasing balls which can lead to a loss of possession.

Since the patch I've noticed players making very poor passes more often.

Backpasses from the half way line (usually following an attacking corner) were a problem pre-patch and remain so in 9.2 .

My personal pet peeve at the moment is players trying to pass/clear through each other. Again, this was a problem pre-patch but I'd really hoped it would have been fixed somehow. It seems as though in certain situations players lose all situational awareness and will end up kicking the ball at a teammate, who also seems dreadfully unaware as the ball will bounce straight off him and usually to the opposition in some way.

This is something I can't remember ever having seen occur whilst watching real-life game highlights yet it's fairly common on FM and I don't even watch the entire match, just the key moments.

With STEAM you dont have to receive updates, in STEAM prefs you can turn off updates.

I would have thought the point is you can't try the second patch and then have a choice on whether you want the first or the second.

I'm in the same boat. Much preferred the first patch but can't go back to it.

I think it did exactly what it set out to do.

People complained about the balls over the tops from the keepers leading to far too many goals, this has been toned down. People complained that quality strikers missed too many easy chances and did irrational things in the box, they fixed this... In fact it seems to have done more or less exactly what people were asking for.

One thing I've noticed is that one of my strikers (and only one) has had a massive change in form! He was a world class striker who was scoring less and less as time went on (for various reason). The patch came along and all of a sudden he's upto 0.75 goals per match instead of 0.2-0.3 as he was before. Strangely enough all my other strikers haven't changed at all.

People complained about the balls over the tops from the keepers leading to far too many goals, this has been toned down.

Unfortunately it's a quick fix. The reason so many long balls over the top put players through wasn't as much keepers as it was the atrocious positioning and movement of defenders. SI toned down keeper kicking, which is fine, but the movement problems with defenders still remain and it still results in far too many harmless looking balls putting strikers through.

People complained that quality strikers missed too many easy chances and did irrational things in the box, they fixed this...

Did they? It's certainly been fixed for the AI, who score a very high percentage of CCCs, but I still miss a huge amount of one on ones, certainly more than 9.0.1.

Unfortunately it's a quick fix. The reason so many long balls over the top put players through wasn't as much keepers as it was the atrocious positioning and movement of defenders. SI toned down keeper kicking, which is fine, but the movement problems with defenders still remain and it still results in far too many harmless looking balls putting strikers through.

Did they? It's certainly been fixed for the AI, who score a very high percentage of CCCs, but I still miss a huge amount of one on ones, certainly more than 9.0.1.

I've actually seen a whole lot less of that kind of defending. Guess it just down to luck sometimes, same with the strikers.

Archived