I'm sorry but it has to be said... (2009)

I'm not having a dig SI, but as an experienced Champ/FM player this is the worst version of the game I've played since I started buying your product in 1993. I'm not going to get into specifics since from the look of things the numerous bugs have been well documented. But, HOW SLOW ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE THIS GAME? This is the slowest and cumbersome version of FM ever, it takes an eternity to make tactic changes with the annoying 'setting up game' message. Ever heard of the saying less is more? Why are you so OBSESSED with the 3d lets watch numbers move around the goal/highlights aspect of the game, I'm sure the reason the game is now unplayable due to it's lack of any speed is the 3d part. OK SI I have NEVER nor will ever use this facility, it's enough for me to read the action, I DON'T WANT HIGHLIGHTS OR REPLAYS, just to play the matches and to enjoy season after season on the game, why cater to the play one season merchants?

The game was slow enough in FM07, gradually your 3d 'improvements' are destroying gameplay. Instead of bringing out a pointless Arsenal version(is that why you ALWAYS overate a team that has not won anything since 2004?), why don't you bring a quicker 'no 3d/highlights' version out, that is the version I want to play so you can play 10-15 seasons in. As slow as FM09 is, how slow will it be if you want to play to 2012? Let alone 2040? The old versions(especially 07) you could do this and I'm sure it's down to your obsessive work on highlights, is it that important?

I'm going back to FM2008, at least you can do tactics without the game engine moving at a snails pace, I think I don't trust where you are going with the game to want to buy FM2010, which is a shame as every year this was the only game I was interested in buying, I feel cheated you have if anything ruined the game. Any ideas where I can get an updated version of FM08 database? Had to be said SI....

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean another hundred thousand others share the same view. 3D, among other things, was requested a lot, and SI were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I too have a 4GB machine and have not experienced any speed issues with FM09 and I'm running about a billion leagues.

I only running one league at the moment as I am carryingon my Marine game from my desktop. I did a season in one day, matches and all.

A billion leagues? Impressive

I'm not going to get into specifics...

Then it's just a rant. You offer no constructive feedback, just pointless ranting.

Also, your claims are unjustified. It hardly takes an eternity to load the matches in 3D...or at least not what I'd call anything near an eternity. Neither is the game really as slow as some people are damning it to be. It is a lot slower to load games up but actually running things isn't that much different. This is the age-old 'people are lazy' syndrome and will never go away. I see it on every game forum I frequent, from MMOs through to FM.

It's the microwave age.

Lastly, how can you say 'not to dig SI, but...' and then launch into a tirade such as you did? Is that a joke?

Happy Christmas. I think you need some cheer.

nah i got to agree with the first post this game is the worst i have ever played and i regret buying it

Why? Do you have any reasons or did you just feel like saying so?

Tell SI what you think and maybe they'll make changes if enough people post the same sentiments.

Just posting 'this game is rubbish and I regret buying it' tells them nothing and just makes you sound like an ungrateful whiner.

Sorry to be harsh, but it does.

The 3d is less than impressive, so I'd agree with him there, even in 9.02 there's still some very odd player behaviour and bizarre movement, still far too many passes and shots hitting the backs of players heads and the ball physics are still remarkably dubious at times as it zings around the pitch like a ping pong ball. It bears very little semblance to a convincing representation of a match. However, as many have said, there's always the option of switching it off and playing in 2d, which is just what I do.

Why? Do you have any reasons or did you just feel like saying so?

Tell SI what you think and maybe they'll make changes if enough people post the same sentiments.

Just posting 'this game is rubbish and I regret buying it' tells them nothing and just makes you sound like an ungrateful whiner.

Sorry to be harsh, but it does.

Vast majority of complaints have lots of similarities though:

- " i am losing , therefore, game is broken". This is 100% one , every single person has that in complaint.Err, i don't think RL managers should even go to school then , since it should be that easy.Heh, only time i ever didn't like FM was in 08, and it was because i couldn't lose with god awfull teams and that was fully unrealistic, imho.

- " my players getting caught out of position, that's not possible".You mean never happens iRL either?

- " my team was predicted to be in top half finish and i am struggling for survival with my team full of stars, that's not realistic" Anyone checked where Man City is this year?

- "i am playing attractive , attacking football, and i am conceding lots of goals. I should be scoring not conceding with my over committed team" Attractive, attacking football is hardest one to play successfully IRL. This is suppose to be realistic simulation , so why wouldn't be same way here ?

- They generally post after they lose some match that they should have won , in their opinion.

- "Game is slow" That i can see happening , if their systems are not updated , plus game is really not optimized at all. Having lots of Java programing in it doesn't help the speed either.(Java is notoriously slow)

- Majority of them(not all) have less then 50 posts and memberships since like 2007 , but yet all are seasoned veterans that played game for decade or so.Well , if they did ,they would then notice that game ME behavior is extremely similar to FM 07 ME(which is so far best ME), except it's more visible in 3D now.Specially due to lack of animations, which i can accept as really big issue.

Almost none of them do not provide any solid feedback, on what exactly is wrong.There are some people that do , and usually they provide good feedback backed with some proof , but they are far and few between.

Again , game is not that bad, it is very playable , if you accept that you are not next coming of Alex Ferguson and have some patience. If not , do what i did last year , go back to previous version and wait.

The Opening Post Is Wrong In My Opinion

I Think The 3d Is Amazing. . . I Have My Reason Which Are Stated Below

1. You Can Identify Better Where You Are Going Wrong On The Pitch

2. You Can See How Badly Your Strikers Are Finishing If Its In 3d If There Not Playin Well And Missing All The Time.

3. You Got Asked In Fm 08 About How You Felt About A Certain Situation Like A Foul Which Should Have Been A Penalty . . . You Couldn't Tell If It Was Or Not Because It Was Simple 2 Dots Standing Together . . . But In 09 With 3d You Can See Much More Clearly Which Is Much More Easier Obv.

I Must Admit Though Something I Do Agree With From The Opening Post Is That The Game Is So Slow its Unreal And Very Very Annoying.

No Need For Replays/Highlights As You Can Simpley Look At The Goal If You Like By Clicking The Number On The Overview

And Lastly About THE OPENING POST , Arsenal Are Well Over Rated As In Real Life They Haven't Won The League Or Even Come Close In Years So How Come They Win The League Most Times Inside 2 Seasons In Fm Which Shouldn't Really Happen.

Last Thing Is That Fm Is Good But Extremely Hard As You Need To Seriously Think About Tactics / Formations And Where To Play Each Player

I Found It Realy Realy Hard On 9.01 and Gave Up After A Couple Of Months It Was That Bad

9.02 Seems a Bit Easier And Is Much Better , Especially For People Who Haven't Played The Game Before Will Not Want To Buy Fm 2010 If They Are Not Gettin Any Success Out Of 09 And Enjoying Themselves

So 1 Way To Fix This In My Opinion Is That You Get So Many Options On How Hard Or Easy The Game You Want To Play Should Be Like :

Very Easy

Easy

Medium

Hard

Really Hard

World Class

I Would Like People Who Read This Post To Reply About What They Think Of Everythin I Have Said Please And For SI To Seriously Consider My Points Especially About The Options On How Easy Or Hard You Want Your Game To Be On The Next Patch 9.03

Thanks ( And Sorry If My Capitals Annoy People All The Time lol Its A Bad Habit I Know. )

3D is fine, but one thing puzzles me over it: Why on Earth does the game need to use SHADERS? :confused: And even with 3d off, the game wouldn't even start if it failed to initialize bloody useless shaders... Rant over..

PS Darn Owens: you did well to make your post unreadable, impressive

How Is It Unreadable ?? :confused:

The Capitals ?

Interesting comments, and I'm pleasantly suprised I haven't just been slaughtered by the usual 'we won't hear anything said against FM' brigade. In answer to some questions asked, 3d is off when I have played, I do only select commentary, and I only played 1 full season on the game and won the title with Chelsea with the first patch. I loaded the new patch and still found it took ages to process looking at players or selecting tactics or just going back a page.

My issue is just how slow is FM going to get, 'if you know your history' to quote Bob Marley, the game used to be a hell of a lot quicker and you could play seven plus leagues without trouble. On this game I could only play England Prem to League 2, Italy and Spanish(top divisions). For gameplay I'd ideally like germany on there as well but it was just too slow.

On FM08, I can at least have the above and the Bundesliga AND a Huge database. The game gets interesting when you're Rooney's and Owen's are coaches and things start to level out amoung clubs, which is around 2015-16, is anyone really going to put up with a snails pace FM? On the question of how slow is my PC, it's fine with FM08 so I take it it should be cool with FM09, and believe me I ain't buying a new PC everytime I buy a new Champ! The big change I want is for SI to stop slowing the game due to the 3d aspects of the programme and add a new Manager can buy the club option, at the mo even if you are getting 60k a week it won't mean **** to gameplay, why not let the wages accumilate so the manager can do a Barry Fry and buy a club, hence cancelling the chances of getting the sack because it's your club. But please SI, a much quicker game which lets you play several leagues in 2010 for all your die-hards, and calm down on making Arsenal **** hot ever year, they will barely make the top 4 this year...another trophy less season methinks...

Interesting comments' date=' and I'm pleasantly suprised I haven't just been slaughtered by the usual 'we won't hear anything said against FM' brigade. In answer to some questions asked, 3d is off when I have played, I do only select commentary, and I only played 1 full season on the game and won the title with Chelsea with the first patch. I loaded the new patch and still found it took ages to process looking at players or selecting tactics or just going back a page.

My issue is just how slow is FM going to get, 'if you know your history' to quote Bob Marley, the game used to be a hell of a lot quicker and you could play seven plus leagues without trouble. On this game I could only play England Prem to League 2, Italy and Spanish(top divisions). For gameplay I'd ideally like germany on there as well but it was just too slow.

On FM08, I can at least have the above and the Bundesliga AND a Huge database. The game gets interesting when you're Rooney's and Owen's are coaches and things start to level out amoung clubs, which is around 2015-16, is anyone really going to put up with a snails pace FM? On the question of how slow is my PC, it's fine with FM08 so I take it it should be cool with FM09, and believe me I ain't buying a new PC everytime I buy a new Champ! The big change I want is for SI to stop slowing the game due to the 3d aspects of the programme and add a new Manager can buy the club option, at the mo even if you are getting 60k a week it won't mean **** to gameplay, why not let the wages accumilate so the manager can do a Barry Fry and buy a club, hence cancelling the chances of getting the sack because it's your club. But please SI, a much quicker game which lets you play several leagues in 2010 for all your die-hards, and calm down on making Arsenal **** hot ever year, they will barely make the top 4 this year...another trophy less season methinks...[/quote']

In that post, not only have you slagged off SI, you have then added a suggestion for a future game which is quite frankly awful.

I have 1.8GHz computer, with 1GB RAM and it is pretty much full to its capacity memory wise.

My game runs fine.

When you add to something, as SI have done, it becomes bigger, therefore requires more processing power to use it.

At the end of the day, it is a game. If you like it, great, if you don't, take it back.

Despite the bugs, problems, patches etc, the 3d match engine is pure progress. Rome wasn't built in a day. How anyone can disagree with the 3d ME is beyond me, as if to say you're happy enough to listen to your team playing on the radio than watching the match on tv. WHAT!!

I kind of agree with the OP. If only the game was a little bit faster this would be a lovely game. Bugs and injuries i can deal with but its the super slow speed that gets to me. And there is a valid point...if you can run 08 super quick why shouldnt 09 also work fast enough even with 3d disabled?

PS: Manager buying a club is a rubbish suggestion.

Despite the bugs, problems, patches etc, the 3d match engine is pure progress. Rome wasn't built in a day. How anyone can disagree with the 3d ME is beyond me, as if to say you're happy enough to listen to your team playing on the radio than watching the match on tv. WHAT!!

Um - I'd rather listen to footy on the radio.

I got the PC version for my birthday a couple of days ago. I had briefly played the demo but not enough to gain any constructive knowledge. I think that the game is excellent. It does have a couple of niggles and my screen flickers during 3d match - but i have put that to my lowly laptop graphics card.

I run a 2gb dual core, 2gb ram and intel integrated graphics. The game is running absolutely fine, with 3 leagues running. I have had no crashes (touch wood) and i am loving watching my team running around the pitch playing like absolute poo ..... lol.

I am finding the difficulty high but that will be my lack of experience with FM2009. Believe me though, i have been playing since CM1 back in the day. I also own the PSP version and to me i have to have both. FM Handheld for the "1 season in a night" scenario and the PC version for the "simulation". I am liking the best of both worlds !!

I understand that this is not perfect and there are a few bugs (I havent seen any yet) - hopefully there will be another patch at the end of Jan along with another data update. This is the first attempt at the 3d engine so it is bound to have a few bugs. To me, tactics and subs are very responsive.

quite a rubbish opening post, infact it is your pc that is rubbish. I am in my 11th season and had no speed issues what so ever. It is by far the best version so far. However everyone is entitled to their own opinion just don't go slagging the game because your machine can't handle it.

quite a rubbish opening post, infact it is your pc that is rubbish. I am in my 11th season and had no speed issues what so ever. It is by far the best version so far. However everyone is entitled to their own opinion just don't go slagging the game because your machine can't handle it.

so true and people talk about realism? well i don't think alex ferguson and co watch 2d dots run around on videos ? give the 3d engine a chance atleast now you actually feel like it's more real watching the games

although it does need improving for next year but you have the basis so it should now be on it's way forward

The OP's point of speed and/or a lack of it seems valid to me. I have a dual core 3ghz machine with 2gb of 800 mhz ram; I run forty leagues from fifteen nations and 20 additional nations of players.

I have only the league I am curently managing in set to full detail.

Its slow. Its very slow. Now some of you might be thinking, well sure you have a lot going on there, and I can agree. I do. However, you need to put it into perspective - this is not an especially demanding application in theory. Its just integers, lots of em. So where is the bottleneck? Is it the level of detailed operations determining results? I don't think so personally, I think the whole thing is damn clunky and has gotten to be a bit too bloated.

Paul C has been on in response to speed criticisms and said he's always looking at ways to make the game faster/more responsive - fair play to the man. I'd fill my pants if I had to do it, its on a par with painting the Sistine Chapel in my book in terms of sheer, back breaking, mind numbing man hours.

But I tell you sincerely, its too slow at what I would consider a 'realistic' level of detail. Forty leagues is not that much all said and done. Maybe S.I./Paul you could look at ways or streamlining the results heirarchy more? Perhaps add in another couple of tiers of detail to really get the 'not very important' results from the minor leagues we load - often purely for the B or C teams etc - back to 07 sort of speeds?

Whatever, sure the OP is lacking a good PC to run the game on, but his point is fair: the game has got slower and slower and slower and there hasn't really been any tangible change to show for it. I'm sure there is, behind the scenes, but perceptions count ..

I have one problem with complaints about speed.

The most oft-repeated line is "I could run 12 leagues on 08 so why can I only run 8 on 09."

Essentially what they want is the ability to run 09 to the same level as 08. Well, from that train of logic extended if you have a computer that can play FM2008 then you should be able to play FM2020 because SI will have to restrict their work so that each version can be played on the same system as the last.

Do you think the systems that ran the original CM could run FM08? The idea that you should be able to run the next game if you could run the previous one does nothing except prevent SI from actually making meaningful additions to the game.

Um - I'd rather listen to footy on the radio.

Somebody who agrees with me :)

As for why Arsenal do so well, it's largely because Ramsey, Wiltshire and the like reach their CAs too quickly along with every other youngster in the game. The difference is, Arsenal have a whole side of youngsters who can make it, and they improve the first team very quickly, meaning they get games, which helps them improve. The AI Wenger's playing style doesn't help.

My only issue is that every match seems to take approximately 30% longer than it did with the same settings on FM08 and very little of that is due to slower processing of tactical changes and the like. Add that extra match length to how long a season already took and it's just too much to commit to if you like to play games lasting more than just a few seasons.

Even more strangely, the day to day processing of the game seems to work as efficiently as ever.

I have to agree with you d'moskollo, I've been playing for at least ten years now since the Championship Manager days and I struggle to accept this is the actual Football Manager I'm playing.

One of the best things about this game was always its low system requirements, not that I have a crap machine whatsoever but it seems that most of the issues with this game stem from the new 3D match, which is a joke. It looks really cheap, it's not needed and seems to make it ridiculously over demanding - something simple like the ability to turn this off and just use the old system surely isn't hard to implement?? It drives me crazy seeing "setting up game"... every single time and then waiting just to see the old 2d system (i turned off the new system as much as possible).

Combine the slower pace (much slower, I've never recognised such speed differences with FM) with the press conferences, a great idea I think but just so poorly implemented. Did you come up with the idea but only spend 1 minute making it? There seems to be about 6 different types of question (2 are just different wordings really) and most of them are ******** questions - and I'm pretty sure if a manager says 'no comment' to a question, the same person doesn't ask the question again or twice again - of course if I said 'no comment' I'm avoiding the question.. christ

Transfers I do believe are better, though the AI is fairly unrealistic - players leave clubs too easily and clubs like Man City spend are in a different league when it comes to it (fact is they have plenty of cash yes, but in real life it hasn't enabled them to just become a top 4 club whatsoever has it) and always go for the same targets (Zhirkov, Arshavin...)

Injury time - so many times I have had 5+ mins, when in real-life after watching football games for 15+ years I rarely see that, let alone 7 mins.

Difficulty - people say it's become more realistic, which can be both good and bad. From my experience I find it too difficult, perhaps I'm just crap at FM09 hard to accept though when I've had huge success on the last 3 - for example, Aston Villa vs. West Brom. I've quit in rage in the last two times :rolleyes: because I have attacked all game with no result (hit crossbar numerous times, had "he should have put that away.." situations), yes I don't have the best finishers. Yet when both West Brom's few attacks result in easy goals for them - it just takes the ****, especially when their player stats are much worse than Villa's - especially for finishing. This happens all the time, even against crappy opposition. It seems if you don't have a really top squad good luck unless you probably have an insane amount of patience. Screw the more realistic talk - I'm not Alex Ferguson, that's why I play Football Manager...

There just seems so many bugs still and so many things that are inexplicable. I know SI can make a good game, especially as I've been hooked on most for the past 10 years, but FM2009 is frankly terrible. I can't see my patience lasting much longer on it before I sack it and go back to 2007/2008

One of the best things about this game was always its low system requirements, not that I have a crap machine whatsoever but it seems that most of the issues with this game stem from the new 3D match, which is a joke. It looks really cheap, it's not needed and seems to make it ridiculously over demanding - something simple like the ability to turn this off and just use the old system surely isn't hard to implement?? It drives me crazy seeing "setting up game"... every single time and then waiting just to see the old 2d system (i turned off the new system as much as possible).

Unfortunately times have changed, and with FM's competitors branching out into 3D it was only a matter of time before this game followed suite. I like the 3D and it doesn't run particularly slowly on my 4 year old, single core PC, especially since patch 9.2.0 where the 'setting up match' bit is done before kick off.

That being said I do think that people should be able to completely switch off the 3D and have speeds similar to FM08 if that's what they want. That being said, I belive this was also improved in the patch, i.e. 2D only being a lot quicker than 3D. Perhaps you need a better PC? If you're not happy upgrading your PC to go with the times then you always have the option to just update FM08 with the latest transfers.

Combine the slower pace (much slower, I've never recognised such speed differences with FM) with the press conferences, a great idea I think but just so poorly implemented. Did you come up with the idea but only spend 1 minute making it? There seems to be about 6 different types of question (2 are just different wordings really) and most of them are ******** questions - and I'm pretty sure if a manager says 'no comment' to a question, the same person doesn't ask the question again or twice again - of course if I said 'no comment' I'm avoiding the question.. christ

See above with regards to the slowness issues. As for the press conferences, yes thay are still repetative and require work. But I much prefer them to the '08 system where the same questions clogged up your in box. At least now I can just send my ass man to them or go in and select 'no comment' for every answer or simply storm out. So for me (who used to ignore all media interaction in 08 anyway) this method is a slight improvement.

Transfers I do believe are better, though the AI is fairly unrealistic - players leave clubs too easily and clubs like Man City spend are in a different league when it comes to it (fact is they have plenty of cash yes, but in real life it hasn't enabled them to just become a top 4 club whatsoever has it) and always go for the same targets (Zhirkov, Arshavin...)

Agreed, these are both well documented issues that need to be looked at. They haven't spoiled my enjoyment of the game yet though.

Injury time - so many times I have had 5+ mins, when in real-life after watching football games for 15+ years I rarely see that, let alone 7 mins.

Agreed. This is an issue and at times I've had 9 minutes of injury time played, which is just crazy. 3 - 4 minutes is the norm but far too often you get 5+ minutes in FM

Difficulty - people say it's become more realistic, which can be both good and bad. From my experience I find it too difficult, perhaps I'm just crap at FM09 hard to accept though when I've had huge success on the last 3 - for example, Aston Villa vs. West Brom. I've quit in rage in the last two times :rolleyes: because I have attacked all game with no result (hit crossbar numerous times, had "he should have put that away.." situations), yes I don't have the best finishers. Yet when both West Brom's few attacks result in easy goals for them - it just takes the ****, especially when their player stats are much worse than Villa's - especially for finishing. This happens all the time, even against crappy opposition. It seems if you don't have a really top squad good luck unless you probably have an insane amount of patience. Screw the more realistic talk - I'm not Alex Ferguson, that's why I play Football Manager...

Agreed. While many of the issues are down to tactics in someway it is far too difficult to get to the bottom of problems and even more difficult to know which slider combinations you need to tweak to rectify them. This is probably my biggest annoyance with the game this year.

There just seems so many bugs still and so many things that are inexplicable. I know SI can make a good game, especially as I've been hooked on most for the past 10 years, but FM2009 is frankly terrible. I can't see my patience lasting much longer on it before I sack it and go back to 2007/2008

I like FM09, particularly the 3D. But that being said I've seen more bugs playing this years game than with any previous version. Things like regen faces being missing (which I'm still getting after updating my graphics drivers and installing 9.0.2) and various small UI bugs during matches that really annoy me all add up. So while non of these things are spoiling my enjoyment of the game I am dismayed by the sheer number of issues that I notice of my own accord, without having first read about them on these forums.

If this gets closed it shows that SI are BS. It's not like i'm slagging off SI, if anything I'm hoping they'll use this to improve it... I looked for a review thread and this was the closest I could find.

I think Pizza Hut is crap and there are plenty of ways it could be improved. Can you point me in the direction of their forum so as I can post something that will hopefully change the world?

Archived