lack of "Move to Reserves for <time>"

I think SI should consider reverting the option to move a player into a reserve team for a specified amount of time (1/2/4 weeks etc.); this was very useful when having injured players - just to let them play on lower lever I was setting up a week longer period to recover for him (longer than his injury).

I find leaving the player on the senior squad and marking him "Available for Reserves" serves this purpose better than "Send to Reserves for X". I can keep a direct eye on him this way, and if the Reserve side is going through a stretch of not-many-matches, I can decide to play him on the senior side to get his match fitness up if I absolutely need to.

Yes, an option was removed. But a better one was put in it's place. IMO.

I'm quite happy with the new "make available for the reserves" feature, which improves on the old model of only allowing the play to be available for 5 days. That said, I wouldn't be adverse to chucking the old feature back in as well.

It may serve some people's purposes better, but a great number of others don't feel the same way and actually have good reasons for this. It's not just a case of the "I don't like change, bring back the old way of doing it" syndrome for every person.

For example, I'm playing FM 2009 right now and I'm on the "Available first team players for Arsenal Reserves match". Let's see what my options are -

Player(s) in the first team squad that are not currently marked as available for the reserve match - Emmanuel Eboue, Samir Nasri and Armand Traore.

All reserve team players are currently set to be available.

Actions: Set unused First Team players as Available (is the only one I can select, the others are greyed out).

Scenario 1: Where can I see if these three players need to gain match fitness? There is no View Fitness list on that screen. So you have to click on each player to see that. Which means leaving that screen. I don't want to send any first team player to play with the reserves unless he actually needs to gain some match fitness because I do not want him taking up the spot of a promising reserve team player who needs to get matches.

Scenario 2: Why can't I select one, or two players to play for the reserves instead of only being able to send all three?

Scenario 3: I don't only want those three players to play in the reserves. I had unused subsitutes for the last first team match and I would also like to send them. But I have to leave that screen and untick them from the first team selection in order to make them available.

So it's very limiting in my opinion, depending on what each manager's methods are.

Suggestions for FM 2010-

The Action: Set unused First Team players as Available, could be kept for those who like it.

Another Action could be added: Set only First Team players who need match fitness as Available.

And another Action: Manually choose which First Team players you want to make Available. You click this option and a drop-down (or drop-up) appears, showing the entire First Team squad and their fitness condition (In Superb Condition, Match Fit, Fully Fit, Lacking Match Fitness, Severely Lacking in Match Fitness) beside their name. And also their number of "appearances". You can then see who needs match fitness or just needs games if they haven't made too many appearances for the first team, and select them from that list by ticking them.

All of this, without leaving that screen. Less clicks, and just a couple more options to cater for everybody's style.

Valid points, for your style of play.

Personally, I already have my rosters set before that screen comes up, generally from the squad tactics screen, and by right-clicking to select the squad status. And there's indirect means of determining if a player is match fit or not...if he hasn't played for a while and his fitness doesn't rise above 95, or was 100 and is now dropping, it's time to get him a match or two. I generally have a tight enough handle on my squad to know who's lacking and who's not.

Heck, half my Reserves are on my senior squad, with "Available for Reserves" almost permanantly set...

So. From my point of veiw, your added actions would be wasted on me. That's not to say I'd argue against putting them in. Heck, I came to FM from OOTP, where the Rule is "The More Options, the Better."

"Rosters", heh, Americans. :D

I used the old feature regularly; nowadays with the new one I just chuck everyone who's not getting regular playing time as 'available for reserves'. Match fitness I normally just play them. I'm in L2 anyway so it's not like games are hard to come by.

"Rosters", heh, Americans. :D

I used the old feature regularly; nowadays with the new one I just chuck everyone who's not getting regular playing time as 'available for reserves'. Match fitness I normally just play them. I'm in L2 anyway so it's not like games are hard to come by.

Same here. I preferred the old system.

It may serve some people's purposes better, but a great number of others don't feel the same way and actually have good reasons for this. It's not just a case of the "I don't like change, bring back the old way of doing it" syndrome for every person.

For example, I'm playing FM 2009 right now and I'm on the "Available first team players for Arsenal Reserves match". Let's see what my options are -

Player(s) in the first team squad that are not currently marked as available for the reserve match - Emmanuel Eboue, Samir Nasri and Armand Traore.

All reserve team players are currently set to be available.

Actions: Set unused First Team players as Available (is the only one I can select, the others are greyed out).

Scenario 1: Where can I see if these three players need to gain match fitness? There is no View Fitness list on that screen. So you have to click on each player to see that. Which means leaving that screen. I don't want to send any first team player to play with the reserves unless he actually needs to gain some match fitness because I do not want him taking up the spot of a promising reserve team player who needs to get matches.

Scenario 2: Why can't I select one, or two players to play for the reserves instead of only being able to send all three?

Scenario 3: I don't only want those three players to play in the reserves. I had unused subsitutes for the last first team match and I would also like to send them. But I have to leave that screen and untick them from the first team selection in order to make them available.

So it's very limiting in my opinion, depending on what each manager's methods are.

Suggestions for FM 2010-

The Action: Set unused First Team players as Available, could be kept for those who like it.

Another Action could be added: Set only First Team players who need match fitness as Available.

And another Action: Manually choose which First Team players you want to make Available. You click this option and a drop-down (or drop-up) appears, showing the entire First Team squad and their fitness condition (In Superb Condition, Match Fit, Fully Fit, Lacking Match Fitness, Severely Lacking in Match Fitness) beside their name. And also their number of "appearances". You can then see who needs match fitness or just needs games if they haven't made too many appearances for the first team, and select them from that list by ticking them.

All of this, without leaving that screen. Less clicks, and just a couple more options to cater for everybody's style.

You can just right-click on the players you want to make available and click "Make available for Reserves" if you don't want to make all 3 available. And is it really that hard to click on 3 different players to see if they need a reserve game and click "Make available for Reserves" if you need to?

You can just right-click on the players you want to make available and click "Make available for Reserves" if you don't want to make all 3 available. And is it really that hard to click on 3 different players to see if they need a reserve game and click "Make available for Reserves" if you need to?

Read my post again? Your question doesn't take into account everything.

Read my post again? Your question doesn't take into account everything.

I know, I'm just saying that it doesn't take more than 30 seconds for me to check all the players not selected, make them available if I want to, check my first team and make the goalkeeper available.

Your suggestion just seems like overkill to me.

I know, I'm just saying that it doesn't take more than 30 seconds for me to check all the players not selected, make them available if I want to, check my first team and make the goalkeeper available.

Your suggestion just seems like overkill to me.

It's probably overkill for you because you wouldn't find those two extra options very useful because of your management style. I would and therefore it's not overkill for me.

Instead of having an argument about "which is best?", "should we keep this or go back to the old way?" or "why can't you just do it my way?" etc, why not simply incorporate both? That's what I'm arguing for. I actually like that a news item now appears alerting you to the reserve match etc. But without those options it's no use to me and gives me more work to do (clicks) than the old way.

I have reserve matches every week. Would be awesome to quickly handle everything on that very screen and get it done and move on, instead of going back and forth.

yeah, the idea of creating this topic was to keep both methods of sending players to reserves... I'm a kind of fast manager, don't like to click everytime a fringe player is ready to play 90 minutes or not....

supposing D.Fletcher in MU picked up an injury for 2 weeks; then I used to send him for the reserves for 3 weeks, and for that time - forgetting about him - then he came back to the 1st team so I can see whether he's ready or not and to send him once again for a week to res or not...

that's my style of play therefore I'd like to have it back; as simple as that;

Archived