£1000 on a Laptop

alright m8

ive got a sony ar71m, cost 800 in sept. i find that its by far more than i need to play fm. i havent found a game yet that it wont handle(it wont play crysis on full graphics, lol). this model is coming down in price tho so you could probably get the next one up, which is a sony ar71 z i think. other good points are

that it come with blu ray player and its a 17" screen.

ye seem to be im in my third season. theres no point me telling you the game time cos i sometimes leave my laptop on over night. ive never once been dissapointed that i spent 800 quid on it. the 3d doesnt have any of the problems ive read about on here. i can run the 3d match on highest graphics with no problems. (although i just use 2d). its up 2 u but id obviously go wiv the sony. it is quite big tho, so i dont know how u feel about that

The size of the laptop doesnt bother me. I just want a beast that can run as many leagues as possible.

ye of course. i love sony laptops so im a bit biased. that link i put down is the one up from mine and its less than a grand. you'd find it miles cheaper if you shopped around on the net aswell. good luck with it mate. merry xmas!

could always go the Apple macbook route - just a thought.

What I will say is that if you do walk into PC World with an idea of what you want, ask for a deal or a discount. I was browsing there the other day, and I saw 2 people ask for, and get discounts of about 80 quid off a 600 quid laptop. I think they just want the business.

I liked the look of this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2047094606.1230215074@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeadegdddefelcflgceggdhhmdfof.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=925404&category_oid=-27749

or this one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2047094606.1230215074@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeadegdddefelcflgceggdhhmdfof.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=671910&category_oid=

Yeah the Dell stuff is quite good, got my desktop & laptop from them, make sure you get extended warranties though if you do go with them just in case esp if you got kid's. The only bad thing about Dell is their customer service, most of them can't understand you as call center in India so some word's/term's you use get lost in translation but you do on occasion find that one person that is on the ball & sort's out any problem's you have in a matter of minute's. Expensive though but worth it.

If you can get it through business, Dell tend to use call centres in Ireland for business problems.

(I've had to call them a few times, for various servers, laptops and desktops (i'm an IT manager) and it seems to be mostly Ireland, but occassionally India / Pakistan.

There is always Alienware stuff for laptops too, but I find those a bit overpriced, compared to similar machines.

Good internet retailers:

aria.co.uk

novatech.co.uk

microdirect.co.uk (although DO NOT go into their stupid store, if you are in Manchester)

misco.co.uk

dabs.com

ebuyer.com

Top two are usually well-priced too.

If you can get it through business, Dell tend to use call centres in Ireland for business problems.

(I've had to call them a few times, for various servers, laptops and desktops (i'm an IT manager) and it seems to be mostly Ireland, but occassionally India / Pakistan.

There is always Alienware stuff for laptops too, but I find those a bit overpriced, compared to similar machines.

Good internet retailers:

aria.co.uk

novatech.co.uk

microdirect.co.uk (although DO NOT go into their stupid store, if you are in Manchester)

misco.co.uk

dabs.com

ebuyer.com

Top two are usually well-priced too.

Forgot about novatech, good job your on the ball *cough GEEK cough* = )

Wouldnt buy anything from PC world or currys etc coz they will spend more time in the shop being repaired, get yourself a decent sony or samsung, Or Imac. Alienware do have the best performance laptops, but they are well overpriced. Just for playing FM get the Laptop with the best CPU/Memory and sata HDD.

My dual-core laptop is extremely quick so I reccomend a dual-core and don't go and blow money on something that you will not fully utilise. Aim for a dedicated graphics card and 4GB of RAM. With my 4Gig, 1Gig is transferred to my graphic card leaving it with 1.5GB overall.

There are alot of people who are posting links to currys or PC World. I wouldn't recommend that you buy them from these retail outlets. Generally as a rule, they use cheap components and charge an absolutle bomb for something that you could get a lot cheaper and of a better quality. Look in you're local newspaper and find a computer specalist company... Don't go for PC World.

I'm living in denmark (though i'm english), and here i bought a new HP pavilion (dual-core processor 2.0GHz, 320GB hardrive, vista), and yeah, the primary function is to play FM09;)

It cost me 7000 danish crowns, that's 895£, or 939€ (my god the pound has gone down recently, now would mark an excellent time to make an messiahas return back to the old blimey), so yeah it was pretty deer, but i'm hoping that i could still use this one to run FM12.

I'm playing with 31 leagues in 22 countries, and it's not running too bad, there's the odd moment when i click on something and the game is thinking for about 5 seconds, after which i have to click again and it works, and also on weekends the processing of matches sometimes can take up to half a minute. But it's not affecting the gameplay at all, far less annoying then tv-commercials for example :D

Archived