A cast back to CM4

Anyone remember the doom days of Championship Manager 4 ?

For those that don't know it was infected with multiple bugs (no, not viruses just poor programming), just like FM09 now. Which later made me believe Sports Interactive left the CM series in around 2004 (correct me if im wrong) - after the CM 03/04 release - because of the major issues related to CM4 and the huge amount of negative feedback they got. Hence Football Manager was started.

Now Sports interactive have done it again by releasing a game full of bugs. Now whilst I understand that it can be a difficult task programming such a complex game that is still no excuse for releasing a game that is not fully playable. I am a paying customer, just like everyone else, and it is things like this that irritate me - I pay for something and I expect it to work.

Now I can appreciate all that SI are trying to do to rectify the problems and no game is perfect on first release (well no most) but this has gone just a little too far. You would think SI could learn from the CM4 game about fixing bugs before it is released. But not so with this a classic example!

This is my opinion and I apologise if i have supplied some wrongful information - i.e. about when SI left the CM Series. Anyway, Just thought id express my disappointment on Christmas day. Because now instead of playing FM09 i'm stuck watching utter garbage on TV.

Leaving the CM series was nothing to do with the negative feedback.

When SI left their deal with Eidos they left the name as Eidos owned it.

The game works for me - you didn't actually reference a problem with it so not sure what more to suggest.

I have referenced lots of problems if you look at my posts. It is completely unplayable on mac as there is no ok/yes/no button which means you can't buy players, loan players, import training schedules and so forth. You can play it if you want to finish bottom of the league and not sell/buy any players or scout for players, or even bring in new coaches etc. This is major bug. You can't play the game if you can't use many of the functions can you.

Leaving the CM series was nothing to do with the negative feedback.

When SI left their deal with Eidos they left the name as Eidos owned it.

The game works for me - you didn't actually reference a problem with it so not sure what more to suggest.

Surely any REAL player would know this lol. Anyway if it was called Championship manager now, it would mean something different like ooohh i'm going to be the best team avaiaible on the game, AKA wolves.

I have referenced lots of problems if you look at my posts. It is completely unplayable on mac as there is no ok/yes/no button which means you can't buy players, loan players, import training schedules and so forth. You can play it if you want to finish bottom of the league and not sell/buy any players or scout for players, or even bring in new coaches etc. This is major bug. You can't play the game if you can't use many of the functions can you.

Sounds to me like you don't have the latest patch.

Sounds to me like you don't have the latest patch.

I do actually ;) I only started playing it with the new patch. Plenty of bugs still but don't worry im being patient and understand your working hard. Just next time for FM10 make sure it has less bugs ;)

I sorted the issue out. It is a problem with macs, where if you uninstall the game, FM08 or FM09 it still leaves trails in your cache and preference folders and thus you need to delete them before installing the game and patch. Perhaps you need to sort this out for FM10 where if you uninstall a game it deletes everything (well within reason)

I do actually ;) Just next time for FM10 make sure it has less bugs ;)

Easier said than done. No game is ever bug free. You need to realise that.

I personally think SI do bloody good to get the game out in such a good condition. Yes, I said good. FM09 is a bloody good game.

There have been some problems with this release, for sure, but I don’t think this is indicative of more worrying problems as per the OP’s suggestions. I wouldn’t go as far as to suggest that FM09 has been a disaster, and while it took me a while to get into FM09, I’m enjoying it now. The problem with FM, and it’s been like this for a while, is it’s no longer a niche game, and the game has to cater to a massive market full of players who all like to play the game differently.

You have the LLM’s, the one-season wonders, the career games, the people with time to take detailed notes on opposition and scout players, the people without this time, those that want to play the game ‘old school’ (i.e. on commentary, and whizzing through the seasons), and so on. The old mantra of not being able to please everybody certainly rings true.

Yes, there have been some bugs in FM09, and yes some patches have been necessary, but this is a trend across nearly all PC games, and is in part caused by the different configurations PC users have – unlike console users who all have the same configurations (with only one or two differences).

What has impressed me the most is SI and Sega's interactions with people on this forum, helping users out. If only other developers and publishers took note. Perhaps then, Sim City wouldn't have turned into the abomination that Sim City Societies was!

I cant understand some people on here.

The facts are in my household... I bought the game on 14th Nov installed on my computer my dads old computer for him, my laptop and we have not had one problem (Barring in game bugs which have been rectified in the patches)

The only gripe I have with the game is that Im a crapper manager than I thought lol

Well done SI... Not long until FM10 :p

To be fair I can understand the comparisons with CM4. That game gave us a 2D match engine in a pretty raw state and FM09 gives us a 3D match engine that's certainly in its infancy (although it's not as bad as the 2D match engine was in CM4). The next few versions will see the 3D match engine being refined to the point were most of us are happy with it.

Some things do irritate me with FM09. Most of which have been mentioned countless times already but there are little things too such as having no right hand FM08 skin and the graphical glitches (for the shadows) that the latest patch has caused for some ATi cards. The game is definitely not as poor as CM4 however.

To be fair I can understand the comparisons with CM4. That game gave us a 2D match engine in a pretty raw state and FM09 gives us a 3D match engine that's certainly in its infancy (although it's not as bad as the 2D match engine was in CM4). The next few versions will see the 3D match engine being refined to the point were most of us are happy with it.

Some things do irritate me with FM09. Most of which have been mentioned countless times already but there are little things too such as having no right hand FM08 skin and the graphical glitches (for the shadows) that the latest patch has caused for some ATi cards. The game is definitely not as poor as CM4 however.

Agree fully there fella, good post

The 3d match engine is quite addictive I was always old school I did not like the 2d but I have taken to 3d for some reason :D

Yeah,I remember it really well.I purchased a James Bond game for my PS2 and I was given a demo of CM 2003-2004 from the guy at my local game because the guy played football with my dad about 20 years before it.I played the Demo all summer long playing as Chelsea.The Demo Expired just before Christmas and i got the game for Christmas and it was probably the best Management game i played.I believe it was also the last CM Game which wasn't so techinal it became unplayable.

Easier said than done. No game is ever bug free. You need to realise that.

I personally think SI do bloody good to get the game out in such a good condition. Yes, I said good. FM09 is a bloody good game.

There have been some problems with this release, for sure, but I don’t think this is indicative of more worrying problems as per the OP’s suggestions. I wouldn’t go as far as to suggest that FM09 has been a disaster, and while it took me a while to get into FM09, I’m enjoying it now. The problem with FM, and it’s been like this for a while, is it’s no longer a niche game, and the game has to cater to a massive market full of players who all like to play the game differently.

You have the LLM’s, the one-season wonders, the career games, the people with time to take detailed notes on opposition and scout players, the people without this time, those that want to play the game ‘old school’ (i.e. on commentary, and whizzing through the seasons), and so on. The old mantra of not being able to please everybody certainly rings true.

Yes, there have been some bugs in FM09, and yes some patches have been necessary, but this is a trend across nearly all PC games, and is in part caused by the different configurations PC users have – unlike console users who all have the same configurations (with only one or two differences).

What has impressed me the most is SI and Sega's interactions with people on this forum, helping users out. If only other developers and publishers took note. Perhaps then, Sim City wouldn't have turned into the abomination that Sim City Societies was!

to both of you i reply with that yes, FM09 is playable and yes, it is a fun game but only if you are lucky enough to not be troubled with the numerous issues a large number of players have faced and also if you're patient enough to ignore a large number of flaws.

i don't expect a bug free game, no, that's a ludicrous level of expectation; i wasn't expecting 3d to be amazing by any means at all for example but when it was heavily advertised that the 'transfer system was rewritten' and also said that the regen system was improved, i wasn't expecting to find that a/ the transfer system of AI teams is still beyond ********, b/ the bojan type bug simply rendering top league gaming guiltridden or years down the line, obsolete with clubs just giving away top talents. additionally, 'annoying but forgiveable' bugs have been in plenty eg strikers not scoring, hitting posts too much etc... but i can get past that no problem, it's the sort of heavy line bug that genuinely affects any reasonable level of gaming that you come across with stuff like man city's transfers that ruin fm09 for me.

i can ignore it, yes, when i find a game of fm09 i can get into, but the sheer volume of bugs that have come up this time is a bit you know, depressing

Archived